Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where should I move to?

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
Prefer something detached; want a garden; don't mind moving into the sticks.

Waddya reckon, Lifers?

Comments

• Options
    Devon :-)
  • Options
    OK, maybe I should say I need to be within an hour's drive from London. In a car. So, Devon's out.
  • Options
    How much you got to spend?
  • Options
    gravesend?
  • Options
    Germany. Cracking beer.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]OK, maybe I should say I need to be within an hour's drive from London. In a car. So, Devon's out.

Charlton - It's about an hours drive in the morning right ;o)

Seriously though how about West Peckham - Nice Boozer called the Swan there.
  • Options
    Reigate/Redhill/Gatwick all under an hour to the Valley by M23/25 , central London a little longer but trains are good. Valley Express also calls in to Reigate. House prices still seem to be on the high side though! Depends what you're looking for: one big new development being built to meet Government demands has ground to a halt in Horley because of the downturn. It will no doubt start again even though the locals say it's being built on a flood plain, so beware!
  • Options
    Could be plot going in Sth Croydon soon. Handy for Sainbury's by all accounts.
  • Options
    Its got to be Essex... Get to the proper side of the water.....( Waits for abuse)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Its got to be Essex... Get to the proper side of the water.....( Waits for abuse)

Ethicks =Shyte hole..................didn't have to wait long there then uncle.......LOL!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Germany. Cracking beer.

ERDINGER......My all time favourite!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Its got to be Essex... Get to the proper side of the water.....( Waits for abuse)

Uncle, you have got to be joking !

My in-laws live over there and I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get back over the bridge.

Keep out of the flatlands of Essex ... the A13 is a nightmare packed with boy racers ... and they support West Ham !
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Have you got kids to consider re schools etc?

What is your budget? In the Rainham area you can pick up a 3 bed terrace for around £150,000 and a 3 bed semi for £200-£250. You are also in the catchment area for some good grammar schools.

I know some people are ideologically anti grammar school, Harriett Harman being one, didn't stop her sending her own child to one though!

EDIT: just seen that you want detached. 300k plus perhaps £250k plus.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Its got to be Essex... Get to the proper side of the water.....( Waits for abuse)[/quote]

My in-laws live over there and I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get back over the bridge.

Keep out of the flatlands of Essex ... the A13 is a nightmare packed with boy racers ... and they support West Ham ![/quote]

I cant see any reason there not to love Essex. What part are your in laws from
  • Options

Was over there yesterday, Hornchurch. Getting measured up for our wedding suits. Had walk past a pub with a forecourt full hammers fans wearing their shirts and a couple of flags, got away with the first time on the way back to the car park the Charlton tattoo was spotted on my leg and we were rewarded with quick verse of a song about giving Micheal Jackson's monkey oral sex, was all in good humour though. Made sure we wiped our feet when we came back across the water. ;)
  • Options
    Some parts of Essex are very nice, then again some parts are completely shite.

NW Kent has good links into London and the education is better than Greenwich.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Prefer something detached; want a garden; don't mind moving into the sticks.

Chislehurst.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]

Was over there yesterday, Hornchurch. Getting measured up for our wedding suits. Had walk past a pub with a forecourt full hammers fans wearing their shirts and a couple of flags, got away with the first time on the way back to the car park the Charlton tattoo was spotted on my leg and we were rewarded with quick verse of a song about giving Micheal Jackson's monkey oral sex, was all in good humour though. Made sure we wiped our feet when we came back across the water. ;)

I'm about 5 mins from hornchurch you should have said you were coming over we could of had a drink in that pub
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]

Keep out of the flatlands of Essex ... the A13 is a nightmare packed with boy racers ... and they support West Ham !

I cant see any reason there not to love Essex. What part are your in laws from

Near Basildon
  • Options
    Some lovely villages around Kent, depends whether you want a village or a town, but central or south east Kent is much nicer and with better schools than NW Kent. Some of the nicest areas tend to be on the Sussex border, but they can be a little expensive. Some reasonable priced property around Ashford and the prices will start rising soon with it only being 37 minutes to St pancras now. Takes me an hour to drive to bexleyheath from Hythe on the Kent coast, Ashford is a bit less.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get more for your money in Essex.

Friends of mine are exchanging their 3 bedroom terrace place on a main road in Barnes for a 5 bedroom detached place in Shenfield (posh).

Good schools as well

Personally I would move to Thames Ditton in Surrey, had to go there for work stuff the other day and it was a beatiful little place, post office, coffee shop, grocers and a pub, lovely.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Get more for your money in Essex.

Friends of mine are exchanging their 3 bedroom terrace place on a main road in Barnes for a 5 bedroom detached place in Shenfield (posh).

Good schools as well.

Shenfield is lovely and its got one of the top schools in the country i think its St Martins in hanging hill lane.

Stonemuse thats near me i live in Bulphan its a little vilage between Basildon and Lakeside
  • Options
    Farnham Surrey....beautiful little town but expensive.
    Would move back there tomorrow....... if only work allowed it.
  • Options
    Have lived all over Kent at various stages and moved to Faversham from SE London cos its cheap, very cheap, has quite a lot of good things though a bit chavvy but changing slowly. If it's got a hurst in the name, it's beautiful but with prices to match. Kent has Grammar schools which I personally loathe, but Canterbury ususally does quite well in the results race, is surrounded by some quite beautiful countryside, bijou fox hunting villages, Granny Empires etc. and has a lot to commend it if you're of a Conservative mind and don't mind cloned high streets. The University has shaken things up so arts wise, so quite a lot goes on now. I'll stick with Faversham, cheap with the marshes adjoining, cycle paths, Thames barges, wild life, everything within easy reach and a friendly varied social mix. Coach to Charlton takes just over an hour. Good train links with London, but missed out on the high speed stuff. London style Victorian 4 bed house will set you back about £340,000. Small 3 bed terrace about £155,00. Takes some beating price wise which is why we're here.
  • Options
    I moved to the North Upper from the North Lower and the view is much nicer , the neighbours very friendly but its a slightly longer walk to the station .
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Some very helpful, interesting advice.

For clarification, anywhere north of the River is out.
  • Options
    Not many people know this but the last place in UK that had malaria was the Isle of Grain. It is still sprayed to kil the moss`s now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Germany. Cracking beer.

ERDINGER......My all time favourite!

We have it in the bar in bottles. A bit dear, but a very nice tipple...
  • Options
    Friends have a beautiful place in Shenfield. Its very nice. Still the bars there are a bit clicky.

SouthendAddick - Thames Ditton is lovely. We hire a boat from there every year, boat yard next to Ye Olde Swan - lovely pub but all along the thames going up as far as errr im cant remember how far we got to - houses lovely and lovely riverside pubs. and all 20 mins from waterloo.