Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kinsella tipped for Colchester job according to Newsnow

2»

Comments

• Options
    Henry, Henry Irving .....Who?... Who?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Henry, Henry Irving .....Who?... Who?

;o)

I'm new on here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Henry, Henry Irving .....Who?... Who?

;o)

I'm new on here.

Welcome to the Board, Henry.

Apart from a few of us who always know best, know nothing or wear white trainers (or cardigans), it's always a fun place to be.

;o)
  • Options
    Is there anything that would help me identify other Charlton Life users at games etc?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is there anything that would help me identify other Charlton Life users at games etc?

Yeah, I normally there in a green hat with a bow and arrow
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is there anything that would help me identify other Charlton Life users at games etc?

We all wear a CL pin badge. Widely availabe at reasonable cost from AFKA.
  • Options
    Most of us are carrying lap tops...apart from myself who also (at present anyway) has with me a bottle of champers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Henry, Henry Irving .....Who?... Who?

;o)

I'm new on here.

So tell us about your coaching badges, or is it just badges bought in the club shop?
  • Options
    and that is even funnier.
  • Options
    Welcome Home (Sir) Henry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Welcome[i aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Home[/i](Sir) Henry.

That explains the cold draft ...
  • Options
    Thank feck sir Henry hath returned.
  • Options
    Blimey, that is a bit of a surprise. I thought Boothroyd would get a better gig than that - and that's no disrespect to the U's.

He was looked on as one of the leading lights of young English managers when he got Watford up and now he's had to go to a smaller club.

I reckon if he waited a couple of months then he might get the job that will be available at Portman Road.
  • Options
    And more good news - we've kept Kins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Blimey, that is a bit of a surprise. I thought Boothroyd would get a better gig than that - and that's no disrespect to the U's.

He was looked on as one of the leading lights of young English managers when he got Watford up and now he's had to go to a smaller club.

I reckon if he waited a couple of months then he might get the job that will be available at Portman Road.

Being the best young english manager is very fickle though. Iain Dowie, Peter Taylor, Micky Adams, Danny Wilson off the top of my head have all been built up over the years. Our own Parky was very highly thought of during his time at Colchester. Paul Ince is another example.

It only seems to take one bad spell or one job not working out and your reputation can really suffer.
  • Options
    I think this could be a good move for him, Colchester seem to like leaving their manager's to get on with things without much fuss and a promotion campaign and he'll be back in the Championship and attracting headlines again.
  • Options
    Did anyone listen to R5 last night? They interviewed Boothroyd - one thing he said that he was offered a job by a football club and accepted it, only to turn on the TV the next day and found out that the club in question were unveiling their new manager who was someone other than Adrian Boothroyd.

He wouldn't disclose the name of the club - but not that many teams appointed new managers in the summer. The obvious guess is Southampton, any other candidates?
  • Options
    MK Dons?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]It only seems to take one bad spell or one job not working out and your reputation can really suffer.

Unless your name is Alan Pardew...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Czech_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]It only seems to take one bad spell or one job not working out and your reputation can really suffer.

Unless your name is Alan Pardew...

He's gone from the premiership to taking over a club in league one though, when he was being tipped by ferguson as one of the best young english managers. He's a long way from getting a job in the premiership at the moment i'd have thought.
  • Options
    life among the humble

The Guardian have done something about managers who have dropped down the leagues. there's also something about jonjo and a mention for parky re-building his reputation.
    How are the mighty fallen?

Who, a few years ago, would have been able to dust down a crystal ball and see Alan Pardew – a man who, during his Reading and West Ham heydays at times appeared worryingly unfamiliar with the word humility – in charge of a Southampton side cast well adrift at the foot of League One. Of course, it is a Southampton side deducted 10 points in the wake of the ailing club entering administration, but even so?

Similarly, it would have been some fortune-teller to predict that the "all bodged up", psychology-spouting Aidy Boothroyd would swap overseeing his brave new world at Watford for modest League One Colchester rather than the national side. By coincidence Boothroyd's men drew 0-0 at Southampton on Saturday. "Egos don't come into it," said Pardew afterwards.

Then there is Nathan Porritt. He was the subject of Panorama's allegation that Frank Arnesen, then Chelsea's chief scout, offered £150,000 via the agent Peter Harrison to swap Middlesbrough for Chelsea. Viewers must then have imagined the teenage striker was seriously hot stuff. Fast forward three years and Porritt is on loan from Boro at League Two basement club Darlington. He played on the right of midfield for Colin Todd's side during Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Lincoln. Porritt was withdrawn at half-time and awarded four out of 10 by a local North-east Sunday paper on the basis of his efforts in the opening 45 minutes.

Goal of the weekend

The 25-yard volley from Chris Lines of Bristol Rovers which secured a 2-0 win against Millwall. It was their fourth win in six games. Let's hope that Bristol – potentially a fantastic football hotbed – is on the way back up. The Premier League would certainly be a richer place were Bristol City to make a top-flight return. Equally it would be good to see Rovers in the Championship. Right now the geographical distribution of our elite clubs is far from even. There was a time when national newspapers boasted dedicated "West Country" reporters covering not only the Bristol clubs but Swindon Town – remember the days when they looked to be seriously going places, the football they played under Ossie Ardiles and Glenn Hoddle? – Cardiff and Swansea.

A mention too for Simeon Jackson, Gillingham's Canadian striker who scored twice during the Kent side's 3-0 home win against Exeter. Jackson has now scored seven times this season.

Two to watch

Simon Grayson at Leeds and Charlton's Jonjo Shelvey

Ask any Blackpool fan for an opinion of Grayson, their former manager, and you will invariably hear an ode to the one-time Leicester, Aston Villa and Blackburn utility player. Despite selling his best individual, Fabian Delph, to Villa this summer and being employed by the notoriously tricksy Ken Bates at Elland Road, Grayson is steadily enhancing his reputation as one of England's brightest young managers. Saturday's 2-0 home win against Stockport represented Leeds's eighth straight victory of this season and 14th in succession on home soil, thereby smashing records set in 1973 and 1969 respectively. Grayson seems to have also picked a winner in the New York-born Mike Grella, a former star of American college soccer, who marked his full debut by scoring.

I always remember being impressed with Grayson when, years ago working for another paper, I had interviewed Julian Joachim at Villa's training ground. We had reached the stage of the photographer attempting to capture the forward in suitably arty pose but Joachim did not want to play along with requests to lie on the muddy grass – his designer T-shirt was clean on. Happily Grayson happened to wander past and, showing off his man-management potential, soon had the forward eating out of our hands.

Meanwhile Jonjo Shelvey's performances in "the hole" for high-flying League One Charlton – and hats off to Phil Parkinson for reviving a managerial career which hit the floor horribly hard at Hull City – have seen the 17-year-old dubbed "the new Steven Gerrard". Chelsea are said to be monitoring Shelvey's progress but let's hope Parkinson can hang on to him a while longer.

There's a comments section under the article, where someone labels pardew 'the biggest tosser in football'
  • Options
    There's a comments section under the article, where someone labels pardew 'the biggest tosser in football'

Considering the competition that's some achievement.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]
    "Egos don't come into it," said Pardew afterwards.

Looks like Pardew may have comedian as his back up career.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Did anyone listen to R5 last night? They interviewed Boothroyd - one thing he said that he was offered a job by a football club and accepted it, only to turn on the TV the next day and found out that the club in question were unveiling their new manager who was someone other than Adrian Boothroyd.

He wouldn't disclose the name of the club - but not that many teams appointed new managers in the summer. The obvious guess is Southampton, any other candidates?

believe it may have been Blackpool. Read a comment from Holloway that Blackpool had made a decision on a Manager when he rung the Chairman there to complain why he hadn't even been given an interview for the position. The Chairman, impressed by his tenacity, told him to drive up immediately for an interview which Holloway then did. He impressed the Chairman so much with his desire for the job that he appointed him instead.