Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfers

Comments

• There will be movement before the week is out - 4 or 5 in and 1 out. A striker, a left winger and two centrebacks. Just what we need.
  • The transfer market seems to have really sped up in the last couple of days and you can see how times have changed when you see a club like Stoke spending £11 million on 2 players. Let's hope we can get in on the party soon even though it'll be on a much smaller scale.
  • [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]Does Beckford have a younger brother we could sign ?

Or even an older one....

No, but he has a talented cousin called Thomas a'Becket who we interested in, but talks stalled as he refused to play on Sunday's (not that i see that being too much of a problem in League One to be honest)
  • It seems Wade Small has gone, but Wagstaff has stepped up to the plate well so the right wing position is covered .

There would be space for a naturally left sided player, but who ? I fancied Johnnie Jackson but he went to Notts County. I noticed Julian Gray is not in contract with anyone . At this level could he be worth a punt ?

Centre Back becomes crucial if Semedo is out because Dailly can play DM and I do not believe that any of our other Mid fielders can do the 'Makalae' role in 4 5 1. Sodje or Darren Ward would be my preference.

Strikers, surely the Andy Gray deal has freed up wages for one player ( maybe two ?).A return for Kandol would be good.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I do not believe that any of our other Mid fielders can do the 'Makalae' role in 4 5 1.

Well Stavrinou can, it's his position, but very hard to say if he's up to it just yet.
  • Basey can play a holding role and did so against Forest (?) last year.
  • [cite]Posted By: Maglor[/cite]There will be movement before the week is out - 4 or 5 in and 1 out. A striker, a left winger and two centrebacks. Just what we need.

It's getting very late in the week Maglor!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Basey can play a holding role and did so against Forest (?) last year.

I really think that if he is going to have a longterm future in the game centre half or holding midfielder is where it will be. He has all the attributes to be a good player except pace which wouldn't be such a factor in those positions as he can compensate by reading the game.
  • edited August 2009
    I see Stoke have bought Huth which pushes Ibrahim Sonko further down the pecking order. They would probably want a 7 figure fee, but perhaps a season long loan (tho' I hate loanees). Cracking player, strong, quick, good on the ball.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I am not certain but pretty sure that the funds have been freed up for players, even if the Takeover is still being ironed out. My guess is that players have already been identified, may well have been approached a while ago, maybe even fees agreed and personal terms discussed. Now it's a case of medicals and getting them finalised. I am an optimist but thats my view.

Unfortunately I think that is cloud cuckoo land along with the 4 or 5 in and one out comment
  • Sponsored links:

• saving grace might be if Michael Turner moves as seems likely in the next 48 hours. Even at a reduced 6m fee we should still get around 700 to 800k so surely at least Parky can have that to spend.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]saving grace might be if Michael Turner moves as seems likely in the next 48 hours. Even at a reduced 6m fee we should still get around 700 to 800k so surely at least Parky can have that to spend.

Would probably at least mean no-one else having to be sold short term I'd say.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]saving grace might be if Michael Turner moves as seems likely in the next 48 hours. Even at a reduced 6m fee we should still get around 700 to 800k so surely at least Parky can have that to spend.

That's what I've been hoping for, he's being linked with moves again, hopefully someone offers the 'silly money' Phil Brown is talking about.
  • sooner the better though
  • There's a good chance Turner will end up at Sunderland.
  • Hull will not get 12m but I expect Sunderland to sign him for about 8m especially as they have agreed to sell Danny Collins to Stoke for 4m. Just a matter of time imo. 20% of 8m split two ways with Brentford should be about 800k each give or take.
  • We are sitting pretty and looking very strong and confident. Now would be the perfect time to strengthen from a position of strength. We all know what we need in terms of positions. Come on board back PP and give us a very real chance of doing something this season. Only three days to get the deals done.
  • We really need a centre half, the two at the club have been superb but Llera likes a card and Dailly is no spring chicken so come on Parky learn from last season and give us depth there. Any news on Sodje?
    This is controversial but I don't think we need another striker, Burton had done well and McLeod should score at this level. Hope we keep Dickson, his record at Gills surely must show to the management he is worth a run in the side at some stage whilst Tuna and Fleetwood hopefully will provide good competition.
    On the left, Bailey continues to excell, his discipline and goalscoring has improved out wide but an out and out left footer would not go a miss. If no one is bought in, Basey could do a job out there as his lack of pace would not be so exposed and with his excellent delivery from wide this would cause many problems for many defences.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite][div class=CommentHeader][span]quote# 50[/span][/div][div id=CommentBody_526775 class=CommentBody]We really need a centre half, the two at the club have been superb but Llera likes a card and Dailly is no spring chicken so come on Parky learn from last season and give us depth there. Any news on Sodje?
    This is controversial but I don't think we need another striker, Burton had done well and McLeod should score at this level. Hope we keep Dickson, his record at Gills surely must show to the management he is worth a run in the side at some stage whilst Tuna and Fleetwood hopefully will provide good competition.
    On the left, Bailey continues to excell, his discipline and goalscoring has improved out wide but an out and out left footer would not go a miss. If no one is bought in, Basey could do a job out there as his lack of pace would not be so exposed and with his excellent delivery from wide this would cause many problems for many defences.[/div]

Spot on. I'm sure the powers that be would agree but whether we can afford to keep the players we have let alone bring in the reinforcements you mention is going to become apparent in the next few days,
  • Sponsored links:

• Also anyone know about Darren Ward, is he still at Wolves and would he be let go on loan or for a very nominal fee. I know we can't afford anyone but there is a defender at Barnet called Daniel Leach who I was very impressed with in the friendly win against us in July. He has many good attributes and I'd be surprised if he does not attract attention especially as I think he is only on a one year deal
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]We really need a centre half, the two at the club have been superb but Llera likes a card and Dailly is no spring chicken so come on Parky learn from last season and give us depth there. Any news on Sodje?quote]

Parky has already quoted the mistakes of poor cover of last season. II think the comment should be aimed at whoever is in charge currently and for the future
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]This is controversial but I don't think we need another striker, Burton had done well and McLeod should score at this level. Hope we keep Dickson, his record at Gills surely must show to the management he is worth a run in the side at some stage whilst Tuna and Fleetwood hopefully will provide good competition.
    Problem with that is there is no alternative to Burton. All four of the other strikers like to use their pace more than they hold up the ball and link up the play. Tuna's a little bit more like that, but he's not big and strong. Others three just don't play like that at all.
  • TBF Millwall got Simpson for the season when he was supposed to be the next big thing at Arsenal, although IMO he is nothing compared to Wilshere and Vela.
  • I hope Maglor is as confident as he was before about 4 new players coming in, but i'd take what we have at the moment.
  • Dicko and Fleetwood will never play fo us.

The timing by Parky of getting shot of Andy Gray maybe his best deal of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]This is controversial but I don't think we need another striker, Burton had done well and McLeod should score at this level. Hope we keep Dickson, his record at Gills surely must show to the management he is worth a run in the side at some stage whilst Tuna and Fleetwood hopefully will provide good competition.
    Problem with that is there is no alternative to Burton. All four of the other strikers like to use their pace more than they hold up the ball and link up the play. Tuna's a little bit more like that, but he's not big and strong. Others three just don't play like that at all.

Agreed, awe have options to Burton upfront, but no alternative. Likewise with Bailey, Basey offers a like-for-likeish cover, but we could do with a more out and out left winger imo to offer an option when play A isn't working. 2 centre backs would be good too, allowing Dailly to be used as eergency cover for Semedo although we could probably get away with just 1 and using the loan system for emergencies.
  • All i mean is that with the financial situation and with our poor loan record, if we can only have one permanent signing then we have to look at centre half above another striker or left winger.
    And agreed my comment about avoiding mistake of last season at the back should not have been aimed at Parkinson but people in charge.
  • We only had a poor loan record under Pardew. Some of the best players we've had in recent years have been loan signings. e.g Eddie Youds, Danny Mills, Graham Stuart and Jorge Costa. Even last season Kandol and Ward were good players for us. If we do end up with a couple of loanees then we need to get behind them and not use them as scapegoats if we have a couple of bad results.
  • But for every Costa and Stuart, there is Butterfield, Cook, Halford, Bouazza.......etc In recent years when we have needed loans they have mainly flopped. Even Kandol was not that good, only scored in one game and looked average at best on too many occassions. Agreed Ward was one of the better ones