Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player power wins - REED OUT, PARDEW NEW MANAGER (8yrs ago today)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Wow, feels almost like yesterday
  • Options
    all went tits up after Andy Reid leaving IMHO ...he must have something about him though as proven in other jobs .. ireally didnt think hed still be at Newcastle

although my blood pressure goes up and i want to kick the cat (although i dt have one ) everyone time i see his smug mug on the box
  • Options
    Slashed budget and players,sold bent for more than thiery can't help wondering where the money went?
  • Options
    lolwray said:

I really didnt think hed still be at Newcastle

I've always felt that Pardew is a Premier League Manager but thats it.

Like a lot of Managers in the top flight their style works because they can sit out to be Defensive and hit teams on the break to win a match... In the Football League there is a lot more attack required from both teams to get a result as if they win they get the reward of possibly playing in the top flight and a huge financial windfall... lose though and the impact isn't as hard
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Pards appointed and sacked by the fans. Called for the appointment and was a hero when he arrived and at first I felt he was doing a good job and nearly kept us up. It went wrong after relegation and lost more and more fans. I was one of the most patient and only lost faith about a month before he left. Fans called for his head against Barnsley then we had two away games and I heard fans at Birmingham the week before he left singing "Super Al" and then he left the following week following the bg protest outside the West Stand when the fans were calling for his removal. I can't stand the bloke now.
  • Options
    Whenever I hear any one talk about "it's what the fans want", I always think back to our appointment of Pardew as proof you shouldn't always listen to the fans.

The improvement under him was minimal vs what Dowie had been doing and only looked decent(ish) at the time because of the clusterf*** that occurred on Reed's short watch. Watching Curbs sort out Pardew's West Ham mess and lead them past us to safety was all the more galling.

As for what went after that, I don't know if I'll ever stop hating the Big-Nosed-Grey-Haired-Palace-C***.

Poor old Uncle Les was a rabbit in the headlights and he had to go, well... actually no... he should never have been appointed in the first place, but say what you like about him, there is no way he would ever have treated the club and fans with the level of disrespect Pardew did.

Because of the board's foolhardy appointment, we also lost a good football man in Les Reed. Southampton certainly haven't suffered for having him as part of their backroom staff.

You could argue we are still recovering from the mess Pardew (aided by a few others) left behind - it's now longer after his appointment than it took us to get back to the Valley. That's how bad a mess he left behind. Prick.
  • Options
    I blame Gliksten, all his fault
  • Options
    That's mental exiled. The improvement under pardew that season was vast when compared to the dreadful performances we turned in with both dowie and reed.
  • Options
    I put 90% of the blame for the post Curbs era on the doorstep of Richard Murray.

Firstly, I don't think he done enough to try and keep AC at the club (this is just my opinion, with no facts to go against or for this).

The second mistake was letting his ego appoint Dowie, just to get one over on Jordan.

The third mistake was the timing of sacking Dowie, just as he seemed to be settling the ship.

Mistake four was appointing Reed, instead of putting him in place as a caretaker, which would have made more sense, as we wouldn't have had to sack him and he could have dropped quietly back into the backroom staff.

Despite how the Pardew appointment turned out, it's actually the only decision during that period that I don't blame him on............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pardew was the obvious candidate at the time which is why the fans wanted him, but he'd been crap at West Ham for a while and was not well liked by the fans there with lots of issues with dressing room discipline (out of control card schools and the like). There was a brief new manager bounce, but it had all faded by March (we didn't win once in April or May) and it only yielded one convincing performance IMHO when he was determined to get one over West Ham, who he cared more about than us the whole time he was with us.

Results improved a bit, but imo he was getting nothing out of the players that Dowie hadn't been and a similar patch of improved results would have come to Dowie by default at somepoint too, because form always fluctuates in a season, no matter how good or bad you are. I can't prove that obviously but I certainly believe it.

I never felt we really looked liked staying up that season under any of the managers.

To look in from the outside, you would think Pardew done okay at most of his clubs, but there is not much love for him anywhere he's been, even in Newcastle where they are having a pretty decent time of it right now. That tells its own story.

Like I say, I don't blame anyone for wanting him as our manager at the time, but looking back there were warning signs of how it might turn out even then because of what happened at West Ham. Deep down I had my doubts after his first press conference when he came across like he thought he was doing us a favour and we were lucky to have him rather than him be lucky to be managing in the Premier League again so soon after being sacked, but I wanted to believe the hype.

Now I just think he's a C U Next Tuesday.

Never forget he had a team containing Tevez and Mascherano on the brink of relegation.
  • Options

I put 90% of the blame for the post Curbs era on the doorstep of Richard Murray.

Firstly, I don't think he done enough to try and keep AC at the club (this is just my opinion, with no facts to go against or for this).

The second mistake was letting his ego appoint Dowie, just to get one over on Jordan.

The third mistake was the timing of sacking Dowie, just as he seemed to be settling the ship.

Mistake four was appointing Reed, instead of putting him in place as a caretaker, which would have made more sense, as we wouldn't have had to sack him and he could have dropped quietly back into the backroom staff.

Despite how the Pardew appointment turned out, it's actually the only decision during that period that I don't blame him on............

Spot on Tango. Murray gave a great lesson on how to f**k up a football club after so much good work.

And I make Kentaddick right re the players liking Dowie and their attitude towards Reed.

• Options
    The Club stated the Dowie sacking was a disciplinary matter, not a footballing decision. My memory is that the performances had improved by the time of the sacking but the results still weren't coming although you felt given time the results would start following
  • Options

The Club stated the Dowie sacking was a disciplinary matter, not a footballing decision. My memory is that the performances had improved by the time of the sacking but the results still weren't coming although you felt given time the results would start following

Taking on Dowie was always going to be a potential problem because of his history with 'them'.

But the team was starting to pick up, and I am sure if we had kept Dowie the season would not have ended up in the mess that it become.

Reading away was the worst performance I have seen from a Charlton team, probably worse than the 5-2 debacle against Sheffield United.

All water under the bridge now though.