Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thamesmead

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
  • Options
    Wonder where Chablis did go ? (or did I miss that bit?)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Currently looking at buying in West Thamesmead, came across a beautiful modern looking flat there by the river.

I'd heard horrendous things about Thamesmead (not just on this thread, but very few people have good things to say) - but I'm struggling to see what makes it so bad, especially in West Thamesmead.

Has anyone lived in that part of town before?

I know a lot of regeneration is planned and the reason I looked there is because it's one of the few places under 300k that you can get near the new Crossrail coming into Woolwich.

West Thamesmead is fine, I have family who live there and dont have any problems. I think Thamesmead gets a bad rep but a lot of that is based on the old bit Tavey Bridge area around Southmere lake.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Tom... you're not having much luck with this buying malarkey or are you just buying a few places?

Horrendous luck Curb_It.

Still heartbroken over the one overlooking the Charlton stadium that fell through!
  • Options
    What happened with that one then?

I cant offer an opinion on Thamesmead but I have done quite a lot of the green chain walk through it and coming out on to the river and walk back to Woolwich. In the summer that would be an excellent walk home. Ive done all that river path a few times. Is it right on the river front then?

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I knew the lady, a Mrs Vera Argent, who won a competition in the Kentish Independent to name the proposed new development on the old Plumstead Marshes and which was to become Thamesmead, which she derived from Thames Meadow.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Peabody have quite bid regen proposals for South Thamesmead and Abbey Wood.

https://www.peabody.org.uk/thamesmead

• Options
    RedChaser said:

I knew the lady, a Mrs Vera Argent, who won a competition in the Kentish Independent to name the proposed new development on the old Plumstead Marshes and which was to become Thamesmead, which she derived from Thames Meadow.

Has she got a son or grandson called Lee?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    TelMc32 said:

RedChaser said:

Has she got a son or grandson called Lee?
    Not sure, she must have passed away by now I would think, her husband was Len and his brother was called Bill if that helps.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

What happened with that one then?

I cant offer an opinion on Thamesmead but I have done quite a lot of the green chain walk through it and coming out on to the river and walk back to Woolwich. In the summer that would be an excellent walk home. Ive done all that river path a few times. Is it right on the river front then?

The one overlooking The Valley was going great until it became apparent that a lot of major mortgage lenders were skeptical of providing something for it because it was above a certain height, ex council etc. I could have got it if I wanted to but was advised against it - which was the right thing.

The place I've had an offer accepted on in West Thamesmead is right on the river front, on the Thames path. Not anywhere near the main town centre of Thamesmead, but closer to the Arsenal.
  • Options
    I’m living in North Thamesmead at the moment, right on the river.
    Touch wood, the place is ok. Downsides - it’s a bit out of the way and I take my life in my hands when I drive further than 50 yards.
  • Options
    What bus would get you there from Woolwich Arsenal Tom?

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I lived in Thamesmead for 22 years, just where the old Boiler House used to be. When we first moved in, our car was targeted several times but glad to say that wasn't happening over the last 10 years or so.

My main gripes about living in Thamesmead are;

Lack of public transport - Thamesmead needs the DLR or even better, the tube. There are no direct links to London unless you jump on an overcrowded bus and go to Abbey Wood station.

London City Airport - Thamesmead is on the flight path of airplanes landing and taking off from the airport. It wasn't too bad when we moved there in 1994 but the flights have become increasingly more frequent and the noise goes on later into the night. There has never been any consultation with Thamesmead residents about the extra flights and subsequent extra noise.

It's built on reclaimed flood plains - This means that the ground is very soft. Two of my neighbours had to demolish their brick built porches because of subsidence. Even we regretted paving over our small back garden as a lot of the slabs just sank and made it uneven. The houses though are built on concrete floats and I didn't experience any problems with my house and neither did anyone else I knew in Thamesmead.

Motorbikes - There are quite a few undesirables that love to ride around the parks and streets on noisy motorbikes. But that can happen anywhere I suppose.

Rubbish - I don't think I have ever lived anywhere that likes to fly tip so much. This is one of the main reasons that we moved as, in my old street in particular, people thought nothing of dumping old cookers and sofas on the side of the road. It became a real eyesore.

However, there are many positives about Thamesmead including the schools and the parks and open spaces.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

The 472 will take you directly from Woolwich Arsenal Station to Thamesmead Town Centre

• Options

Our family moved into Thamesmead stage 1 in summer 1970, just after our house had been built.
    I grew up in Council houses and at the time this one felt like the creme de la creme.
    Built on 3 floors, with 4 bedrooms, 2 toilets, built-in garage, garden and warm-air central heating.
    I loved it's award winning futuristic design and it's open spaces (my Dad stumbled into them filming A Clockwork Orange by Southmere Lake).
    By the time I moved out in 1983 it had already begun to feel like a shithole.
    There was only one problem with Thamesmead. People.

Think that's true of a lot of area - depends on the people who live there rather than the buildings.

My main gripe though with a lot of buildings is the lack of thought given to long term maintenance. Architects and developers give this little consideration.

Some blocks can be a nightmare because of the lack of plans re pipework etc and the poor design.
  • Options
    When I was at school in the early 80's my best mate lived in Thamesmead (nr Stage 1 as Tavey Bridge rings a bell) & I spent a lot of time walking around there. Always looked a bit rough & tatty around the edges but I never saw or got into any trouble. I often used to walk home on a sat night......I lived the Dartford end of Bexley & it took me over an hour - along to Belvedere station, up the hill into the village & then back down again towards b'heath, then once at the clocktower head down Gravel Hill into Bexley & then along Dartford rd & home. Lovely.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Was just about to post this DRA when I spotted you did so earlier......what scum there are around, most distressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is absolutely disgusting.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I would get the 244 or 385, as I'll be going to West Thamesmead near the prison rather than Thamesmead town center
  • Options
    I get the 244 in the other direction but I always walk back a stop to get on before the station as its slightly less stressful getting on outside the station.
  • Options
    Lived in thamesmead for 5 years until jan of this year, lived by the old boiler house, nice enough if you are single, but not the area I would want to raise my kids in
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Moved around a bit but grew up in Thamesmead. Lived just off Yarnton Way for 3 years and then 10 years in West Thamesmead. Went to school at Riverside Secondary (think it's a business academy now?). Used to spend my lunch breaks wandering around tavy bridge. It was rough then and by the sounds of it, not much has changed. West Thamesmead was much nicer but i was glad to get out.
  • Options
    Thanks all - this has been helpful.

Good to know that West Thamesmead is slightly better than the rest of the town, as that's where Im going to be if all goes through as planned.

Hopefully the area can continue to improve with the planned regeneration/crossrail coming in.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Moved around a bit but grew up in Thamesmead. Lived just off Yarnton Way for 3 years and then 10 years in West Thamesmead. Went to school at Riverside Secondary (think it's a business academy now?). Used to spend my lunch breaks wandering around tavy bridge. It was rough then and by the sounds of it, not much has changed. West Thamesmead was much nicer but i was glad to get out.

That's it - my mate lived in Marigold way. Spent my teenage years hanging around there & walking over the bridge to the ruins of the Abbey. happy days !!
  • Options
    My ex brother in law was a self employed mobile vehicle electrician, he would never carry out work in the Thamesmead area.