Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derren Brown

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you 'spotters might be on to something.

However, he has always made a point in the past of stating that no camera tricks are used in any of his scenes. If all of the above is correct then as far as I am aware it is the first time he has done this. Sounds a bit cheap for him as well. Any good actor/presenter could have carried out a convincing performance like that and would have done so before now.

If he starts Friday's show with the above explanation, people will turn off in droves. Just doesn't sit right.
  • Options
    erm im not being funny but this bloke is a tool.

Did anyone not watch that race horse one he did a while back? He claimed that he would tell one person a horse to back and it would win. Turns out he gave lots of people a horse each so that one of them would definately win. And then he filmed the winner. Hes just a con artist. not a mind reader.
  • Options
    A con artist maybe carlsberg, but certainly not a "tool". Of course it isn't real magic, but he's very clever.

the programme on after the lottery "prediction" proves that. Gimic or real, it entertains - and that's ok with me.
  • Options
    Read his book - he's a seriously clever chap and brilliant at what he does
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]A con artist maybe carlsberg, but certainly not a "tool". Of course it isn't real magic, but he's very clever.

the programme on after the lottery "prediction" proves that. Gimic or real, it entertains - and that's ok with me.

I just dont like him. But, i am intrigued at what the explanation for this lottery thing is. Im sure he's not going to make everyone tune in on friday just to tell everyone that he done a camera trick.
  • Options
    He's an expert in 'cold reading'. Skills like that can make you seem seem, literally, like a mind reader. He reads body language and responses to what he says, plus he uses hypnotic techniques. He has studied and perfected these skills over years. Quite an impressive individual!

The good news is that he doesn't use it to do bad things - he's actually quite a responsible sort and often berates those who abuse their skills or spread bullshit masquerading as the paranormal.
  • Options
    Me and the missus went to see his Enigma tour a couple of months back. Now I don't believe in Psychics, etc, and Derren Brown has said he doesn't either. He's just a very clever 'reader' of people and their body language. That gives him plenty of info to work from.

I got pulled up on stage at Enigma. He had taken pictures of 60 members of the audience and written their names on the polaroids. Without him looking, I had to choose one and place it back in the 'pack'. He then turned them all face up on a table and asked me series of questions; "Is the person male or female?", "Does he have a beard?", "Does he look gay?!", "Does he have bad breath??!!", except I wasn't to answer out loud, just in my head. After each question he turned over some of the pictures, eventually leaving only 6. He then picked out the very same one I had chosen.

He also tried to Hypnotise the entire audience, eventually having 2 people up on stage, and it was show how mediums were when under a state of hypnosis. One of the guys was well out of it and DB got him laying down across 2 chairs with the guys neck and ankles being the only parts of his body that were supporting his entire weight. This dude was rock solid, like a plank of wood, and he stayed there for about minute. Again, I've got no idea how he did it, but it's very unnerving and odd...
  • Options
    P_Air, I've seen the same show, it's absolutely incredible.

This is why I feel he wouldn't have used such as cheap as camera trickery.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]
    - he's actually quite a responsible sort and often berates those who abuse their skills or spread bullshit masquerading as the paranormal.

Apart from when he lied to everyone about the russian roulette thing bieng fake and admitted it. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]P_Air, I've seen the same show, it's absolutely incredible.

This is why I feel he wouldn't have used such as cheap as camera trickery.

Agreed. I'd defo pay good money to see one of his shows again.
  • Options
    Saw a hypnotist show in Mallorca a couple of years ago. Got my mate to go up on stage (as he wouldn't be able to hypnotise him he said).

He was of course hypnotised and it was bloody hillarious.
  • Options
    Errr ......... Did I miss something or was that all bollocks?
  • Options
    He's just got you all discombobulated, right?! That's why what he does works because you're now not knowing whether or not it was a loads of bollocks. Seeing him live is an eye opener as if really does have a 'talent'. Mix cold reading together with some showmanship and a little something out the ordinary, and you get, IMO, a very enjoyable show.
  • Options
    Watched the end of this 'cos the family had it on. What a complete waste of time. The David Blaine prog that followed it was far better.
  • Options
    David Blaine is something else... A freak took a full pelt kimbo slice punch and wasn't even winded
  • Options
    David Blaine was excellent. Some proper wrong'ens on that programme tho. The white trailer trash family singing 'the magic man' was a particular highlight.
  • Options
    So how did Brown claim he did it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]So how did Brown claim he did it?
    Quantitative Easing
  • Options
    Used a group of 24 people to come up with numbers and then averaged them.

1st attempt - 3 numbers

2nd attempt - 4 numbers on the trot

3rd attempt. He never actually showed them the numbers that they calculated, just hid them in a tube ready to be 'revealed' on the show.

Now convinced it was camera trickery after watching closely the 'raised' ball, which popped up exactly ten seconds after the 6th number was drawn. He didn't predict the bonus ball and used this as a stalling tactic to give his 'assistant' enough time to put the correct numbers in place.

The Blane show was incredible after though. Some of his close up magic is completely unexplainable. Loved the red necks - they would even be looked down upon in Croydon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm convinced it was camera trickery as well, why didn't they show the other camera view? In the original programme Brown said there was him and 2 cameramen so why bother saying that and then not show what was on the other camera?
  • Options
    was funny seeing the people wet themselves thinking they've predicted the lottery. after watching that it makes me even more sure it was camera trickery as his explanation is just bullshit. will be interesting to see if the next show about being stuck to your sofa actually works.
  • Options
    Blaines show was good. His close up stuff was stunning. Especially the card and matches one he did a couple of times.
  • Options
    He basically admitted at the end the group of people was a decoy for "not" fixing the lottery using weighted balls.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]He basically admitted at the end the group of people was a decoy for "not" fixing the lottery using weighted balls.
    Or was it? We will never know...
  • Options
    You know what.For years i thought his name was DARREN not DERREN.
    Even his name's a bloody illusion!!!
  • Options
    See if you are going to have a name that starts with (or sounds to start with) Darr it should be spelt Darr and end in el in my opinion
  • Options
    this guy sums things up very quickly and easily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqAt2akPHJ8
  • Options
    Anyone get stuck to their chair?
  • Options
    Nope