Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace 0 4 Scunthorpe

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I loved the picture of Tangoman as the second goal went in.

Under 10k in SP yesterday.

Oh dear.

He's not happy about the numbers sold for the next game against Derby either.

Apparantly Ambrose "went missing" and is "too lightweight". Now there's a surprise.

Would that be Agent Ambrose? This is his chance to win cult hero status at The Valley. Keep up the good work Darren.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie
    Palace may be doing poorly, whilst Charlton are flying, but we're doing it in the Championship, whilst Charlton are doing it the Division One. If you were able to swap league positions, as they stand, would you? I know I wouldn't.[/b][/b]

I agree with you - looking at the positions and the trajectories of both clubs, I most definitely wouldn't swap either.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I loved the picture of Tangoman as the second goal went in.

Under 10k in SP yesterday.[/quote]

however we do have good enough players to survive this league, quote]

So did we.
  • Options
    If I were you Budgie I'd be getting worried, if you are getting spanked at home in front of low crowds then what will it be like next year in League One?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I loved the picture of Tangoman as the second goal went in.

Under 10k in SP yesterday.

Not sure about under 10k, but certainly the crowds aren't anything to brag about.

As far as the team is concerned though, I must admit I am beginning to worry about about NW's team selections, however we do have good enough players to survive this league, it's whether NW wants to pick them though.

Financially, I don't think it's a secret that at the moment we're screwed, but hopefully SJ has enough to finance us, until a rich Arab can come in for us, you don't know any do you?

Oh well, still South London's number one.

I admire your optimisim Budgie, but I think we are deep in the doo doo and by xmas we will be well and truly locked into a relegation battle. Our form at the back end of last season was dreadful and I'm a firm believer that very often follows into the next season.........that's why I predicted that CAFC would have a good season this time round (even when most of you lot predicting a season of league 1 struggle) as CAFC actually finished last season pretty well.

We shall see but without finance, the situation will get more difficult. I am amazed more Palace fans have not grasped this, if you were to take the condition of the clubs stadium as an indication of it's health.............then us and Barnsley would be shoulder to shoulder at the bottom of the class in the championship.

Mind you having said all the above...........it's the not knowing, the possibilty of a spot of end of season drama.....and that's why I love Palace.
  • Options
    BTW - Good to see both Budgie and SoS on here after such an awful day for Palace yesterday.
  • Options
    i like SOS's version of the world better than budgie's.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]i like SOS's version of the world better than budgie's.

You bloody would! ;-)
  • Options
    Right now...

Palace are falling down the league, are getting spanked at home, have falling attendances, have a ground that needs millions being spent on it and have an owner who wants to sell, except he can't find a buyer. Their best players are leaving and they have no money to buy in replacements and are patching the team up with free transfers, which are in reality failures and unwanted players from other clubs. Whichever of us is "number 1" in South London is a moot point, but I think Palace fans have a lot to worry about.
  • Options
    Danny butternuts eh love him agent McCarthy and agent Ambrose
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a serious note it is a worry how a lot of lower league teams are going to survive. Weekends wouldn't be the same without the added interest of seeing how our 'rivals' are doing! Imagine if we go bust and Palace go bust and Millwall become No 1 in sarf London!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]BTW - Good to see both Budgie and SoS on here after such an awful day for Palace yesterday.

Yeah, fair play. Sos's post above i think is a very fair assessment of Palace's current situation. I think Palace need new ownership and money more than we do and unless things change they could easily end up in the same situation as Southampton. A big issue for Palace could be the close relationship between jordan and warnock and the fact that i don't think that jordan will sack him early enough or indeed if he can afford to sack him, if their poor form continues. I think Palace will just about stay up but, they need a change in their off field management and quickly or a relegation scrap could be just the tip of the iceberg.
  • Options
    Lots of clubs in the chumps league are living beyond their means. Palace have reduced their wage bill so long term their finances should be okay but not if they can't get 15k into the ground every other week. I hear the football is dire, we know the stadium is grim (apart from the smart Holmesdale stand) and SJ has been desperately trying to off load his white elephant for the past two or three years. All great news for us addicks but i don't want the team of the eighties to go under...just down a peg or two.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]BTW - Good to see both Budgie and SoS on here after such an awful day for Palace yesterday.

Yeah, fair play. Sos's post above i think is a very fair assessment of Palace's current situation. I think Palace need new ownership and money more than we do and unless things change they could easily end up in the same situation as Southampton. A big issue for Palace could be the close relationship between jordan and warnock and the fact that i don't think that jordan will sack him early enough or indeed if he can afford to sack him, if their poor form continues. I think Palace will just about stay up but, they need a change in their off field management and quickly or a relegation scrap could be just the tip of the iceberg.

The point you raise about SJ and NW is a valid one, but realistcally I don't think we could get a better manager than him at the moment. Before yesterday I was very confident of staying up, but watching the side Warnock started with yesterday, didn't inspire confidence. We do have a limited squad at the moment, and we can't afford to leave players like Carle, Sears, and Davis out, especially when it means playing people like Lawrence in front of them.

Which reminds me, if you need any defenders this season, could you ask Parky to persuade Warnock to take Matty Lawrence please.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite] we know the stadium is grim (apart from the smart Holmesdale stand).

Smart on the outside, but with four foot of water in permanent residence in the 'bowling alley' under the lower tier. Still I suppose the presence of all that water reduces the risk of fire - unlike the 80 year old wooden mainstand.

I love full maintenance leases, me :-))
  • Options
    Butterfield showed for Scunthorpe's first everything we knew, he is not even good enough for Palace, let alone our defence! To be fair, McCarthy was suspended i think?
    Simon Jordan shots on Football league show made my night!
  • Options
    Measured on league status palace are No 1 in south London. They should delight in that, and keep on sticking it to us if they want (scarf burning?... lol), because they say what goes around comes around, and we will see if they have grace and humility if the situations reverse....it is very early days in the season for both clubs.
  • Options
    [quote]Which reminds me, if you need any defenders this season, could you ask Parky to persuade Warnock to take Matty Lawrence please.[/quote]

Better off asking the bloke at Southampton.

I also don't want Palace or any club to go bust but think SoS has a good point on the end of season form continuing into a new season, especially when it is a downturn. Palace mates of mine are worried.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Butterfield showed for Scunthorpe's first everything we knew, he is not even good enough for Palace, let alone our defence! To be fair, McCarthy was suspended i think?
    Simon Jordan shots on Football league show made my night!

tbf the commentators got that one wrong, it was Lawrence that ended up on his butt.
  • Options
    "I also don't want Palace or any club to go bust but think SoS has a good point on the end of season form continuing into a new season, especially when it is a downturn. Palace mates of mine are worried"

I'd love to see them go under, Jordan in jail and the ground turned into more of a slum than it currently is - and that would be no less than they would want of us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]I'd love to see them go under, Jordan in jail and the ground turned into more of a slum than it currently is - and that would be no less than they would want of us

That may be true (doubt it actually) but we've got more class than that....haven't we?
  • Options
    picture the scene....

a snowy Christmas Eve at Selhurst

news breaks that Neil Warnock has been sacked - he appears on TV scuffling and brawling with Jordan

meanwhile - down at St Mary's they announce Pardew's replacement is Steve Wignall following AP's sacking 3 weeks previously

Simon Jordan then composes himself to announce Alan Pardew as the new Crystal Palace manager and "the man to make up the 12 point gap to the 20th placed team (Barnsley)"

a magnificently tanned Pardew looks bemused but smiles - arrogantly - and claims they just need a few results to "turn the corner" whilst double checking the small print on his 4 year contract

now tell me that's not better than anything by Barbara Cartland in terms of romance
  • Options
    I don't wish Palace any luck, and especially their owner, but i want them to stay in business as Palace and Millwall are our local rivals. I always look forward to these games, as they mean so much more than 'derbies' against Chelsea, Arsenal etc.
  • Options
    Budgie - you are not a bigger club than us just because you're in a higher league. Are Portsmouth a bigger club than Newcastle? Are the likes of Scunthorpe and Blackpool bigger clubs than us and Leeds?
  • Options
    I thought Palace might struggle this season. Though they always seem to have bad starts and pick up later, I don't think they'll go down, would love it if they did though. Let's hope Agent Ambrose gets to work.
  • Options
    I'd argue that CAFC are a bigger club than CPFC but right now they are No.1 in south London based on higher league position IMHO.

Of course if Palace fans choose to use the higher league position argument we have been in higher league position than them far more than the reverse and so are the bigger club historically and that's a fact.

As they say form is temporary but class is permanent (or in Jordan and Palaces case non-existent)
  • Options
    My Palace mate reckons we will be swapping positions next season, he said they were diar and claims they could certinly go down. Can't wait to chip in to a 'Who's laughing now you c****, from Richard Murray' to fly over Selhurst on the last day of the season ;)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]picture the scene....

a snowy Christmas Eve at Selhurst

news breaks that Neil Warnock has been sacked - he appears on TV scuffling and brawling with Jordan

meanwhile - down at St Mary's they announce Pardew's replacement is Steve Wignall following AP's sacking 3 weeks previously

Simon Jordan then composes himself to announce Alan Pardew as the new Crystal Palace manager and "the man to make up the 12 point gap to the 20th placed team (Barnsley)"

a magnificently tanned Pardew looks bemused but smiles - arrogantly - and claims they just need a few results to "turn the corner" whilst double checking the small print on his 4 year contract

now tell me that's not better than anything by Barbara Cartland in terms of romance[/quote]

They that would be a million times better than them going bust.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Budgie - you are not a bigger club than us just because you're in a higher league. Are Portsmouth a bigger club than Newcastle? Are the likes of Scunthorpe and Blackpool bigger clubs than us and Leeds?

Chris calm down, I didn't say Palace are a bigger club than Charlton, I said they are South London's Number One. But as Henry pointed out, in terms of league position Palace are in a higher division, and so are SL's no1.
  • Options
    Why do we have 60+ posts about a club that are not even our rivals. Millwall lost 2-0 at Gillingham at weekend & were booed off by their own fans. I would have expected to see 60+ posts about that.