Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

American "Football"

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]Follow Giants in Amercian football, since the early days of Tiki Barber. Blue Jays in Baseball.

TBH Giants don't look the team of the past few years, a playoff birth would be a success this year as I see the Eagles winning the NFC East, although McNabb has just broken his rib.
    'Early days'? Try Phil Simms!

Fair play, I'm only 18. Was only 3 when he won his second ring in 1993.
  • Options
    Washington since the early 80s. thats when they had players like Art Monk, John Riggins and Dexter Manley. I always had a soft spot for the Houston Oilers, who I thought were called Houston Oilers Nil
  • Options
    Look out for Jacksonville's results as I had an enjoyable evening in their stadium a few years back, pre-season after they had hosted the Superbowl. Have a feeling it could be the Chargers year though.
  • Options
    Been following the Chiefs since about 92. With my other teams being cafc and Kent ccc can you imagine how depressing the last year has been. Two of the three were relegated and the other would have been if it had been possible. At least Kent ccc have come through this season. CAFC might also gain promotion. But my Chiefs, well, they are gonna suck for some considerable time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    Having been a "soccer" writer and broadcaster for a very long time in the U.S., it seemed we were constantly being put in a position of defending soccer. And being told how boring it is. Usually by American football fans, writers etc.
    It is most likely the opposite on the other side of the pond, where so many people find American football, or "gridiron" to be a bore.
    To each his own, was always my response.
    (Coincidentally, the debate never seems to be between cricket and baseball, other than an occassional 'rounders being a girls' sport' comment.)

I'm not particularly interested in lacrosse or track & field (outside of the Olympics), but I am not going to slag them off because I'm not that interested.

One thing that I've learned is that it useless to engage in a football/soccer vs. American football/gridiron debate.
    There is no convincing that either side can do to sway the other. You might as well be arguing about colors/colours.
    If you happen to find one or the other boring, what purpose does it serve to start the argument?
    Just enjoy one or the other, or both.
    The sporting world is large enough for everyone and their own particular favorites/favourites.

So GO Giants in American football, and Red Sox in baseball!!!

New York Giants and the Boston Red Sox? You might have better luck convincing Brits of the aesthetic merits of gridiron football then adequately defending liking one Boston pro team and one New York pro team. (Can one don a Giants cap at Fenway Park? A Red Sox jacket at Giants Stadium?).

I firmly believe that when football takes hold in the United States as one of the four major professional sports (replacing ice hockey), our tradition of gridiron football will be what allows Americans to make a lasting, unique contribution to the international sport. Not because Americans on the international scene will be more physical and violent, but because the sheer size and strength of players will line up more closely with those who play American football and these massive, rugby-sized players will be able to play the sport with dexterity and agility that (along with violence) also defines the sport.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    Having been a "soccer" writer and broadcaster for a very long time in the U.S., it seemed we were constantly being put in a position of defending soccer. And being told how boring it is. Usually by American football fans, writers etc.
    It is most likely the opposite on the other side of the pond, where so many people find American football, or "gridiron" to be a bore.
    To each his own, was always my response.
    (Coincidentally, the debate never seems to be between cricket and baseball, other than an occassional 'rounders being a girls' sport' comment.)

I'm not particularly interested in lacrosse or track & field (outside of the Olympics), but I am not going to slag them off because I'm not that interested.

One thing that I've learned is that it useless to engage in a football/soccer vs. American football/gridiron debate.
    There is no convincing that either side can do to sway the other. You might as well be arguing about colors/colours.
    If you happen to find one or the other boring, what purpose does it serve to start the argument?
    Just enjoy one or the other, or both.
    The sporting world is large enough for everyone and their own particular favorites/favourites.

So GO Giants in American football, and Red Sox in baseball!!!

New York Giants and the Boston Red Sox? You might have better luck convincing Brits of the aesthetic merits of gridiron football then adequately defending liking one Boston pro team and one New York pro team. (Can one don a Giants cap at Fenway Park? A Red Sox jacket at Giants Stadium?).

I firmly believe that when football takes hold in the United States as one of the four major professional sports (replacing ice hockey), our tradition of gridiron football will be what allows Americans to make a lasting, unique contribution to the international sport. Not because Americans on the international scene will be more physical and violent, but because the sheer size and strength of players will line up more closely with those who play American football and these massive, rugby-sized players will be able to play the sport with dexterity and agility that (along with violence) also defines the sport.

Collegeparkaddick,

There is a very large segment of New Englanders who are Red Sox AND Giants fans. Most of those fans would be in their 40s, and older. These people, like myself, would be fans of the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins AND the Giants, and like no other New York team.
    Prior to 1970, the AFL was considered inferior to the NFL. The Jets and Chiefs winning Super Bowls helped to change that in 1968 and 1969, but the overall perception was that those two Super Bowl wins were flukes (like a Second Division team winning the FA Cup).
    The Giants were bigger in New England, and even greater Boston, than the Patriots, who were never on TV and were a sad sack organization. The Giants were on TV every Sunday.
    And prior to the Patriots forming in the early 1960s, there was no pro football team in New England, and the closest team was ... the New York Giants. It was Giants territory.
    So my father was a Giants fan, and I became a Giants fan ... and I never made the switch.
    If you go back to the early 1990s, the Patriots had few fans and almost moved to St. Louis, and then Hartford. The Patriots phenomenon is relatively recent, going back to Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe, and, of course, taken to a new level by Bill Belichek and Tom Brady.

I would like to think that you are correct about soccer moving up in the American pecking order, but unfortunately don't see it happening any time soon, if ever. It certainly won't happen as long as MLS remains at the level it presently finds itself stuck at. The only big drawing matches in the U.S. are the exhibitions involving world class foreign teams, and while that shines a spotlight on soccer in America, it also leaves MLS in the shadows.
  • Options
    In San Diego at the moment, and feeling very sorry for folk I'm speaking to hear who face losing their club soon. The franchise system is nuts. Personally I don't care about Wimbledon as their support couldn't be bothered to watch a premiership team and they deserved to lose them, but the thought of a properly supported team just being snatched off, is horrible.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The San Diego Chargers were originally the Los Angeles Chargers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]

Collegeparkaddick,

There is a very large segment of New Englanders who are Red Sox AND Giants fans. Most of those fans would be in their 40s, and older. These people, like myself, would be fans of the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins AND the Giants, and like no other New York team.
    Prior to 1970, the AFL was considered inferior to the NFL. The Jets and Chiefs winning Super Bowls helped to change that in 1968 and 1969, but the overall perception was that those two Super Bowl wins were flukes (like a Second Division team winning the FA Cup).
    The Giants were bigger in New England, and even greater Boston, than the Patriots, who were never on TV and were a sad sack organization. The Giants were on TV every Sunday.
    And prior to the Patriots forming in the early 1960s, there was no pro football team in New England, and the closest team was ... the New York Giants. It was Giants territory.
    So my father was a Giants fan, and I became a Giants fan ... and I never made the switch.
    If you go back to the early 1990s, the Patriots had few fans and almost moved to St. Louis, and then Hartford. The Patriots phenomenon is relatively recent, going back to Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe, and, of course, taken to a new level by Bill Belichek and Tom Brady.

I would like to think that you are correct about soccer moving up in the American pecking order, but unfortunately don't see it happening any time soon, if ever. It certainly won't happen as long as MLS remains at the level it presently finds itself stuck at. The only big drawing matches in the U.S. are the exhibitions involving world class foreign teams, and while that shines a spotlight on soccer in America, it also leaves MLS in the shadows.

Wasn't aware of that connection...but I'm surprised about the pre-90s comment (New England's attendance at Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro averaged over 50,000 per home game in the 80s). The greatest single moment of the modern Bears franchise came at the expense of a Patriots' team that featured some pretty charismatic players (Grogan/Eason/Tippett/Hannah/my favorite: Fryar).

Separately, I am far more optimistic about the prospects of football in this country for a variety of reasons. In particular, improved infrastructural development for the MLS should pay dividends sooner rather than later. The proliferation of quality soccer-dedicated stadiums is a great development. And while attendance has dropped this year, the same day that Charlton drew 19,000+, our local professional team drew 19,000+ for a league game against the Sounders to an awful stadium. A week earlier, the local university team attracted 7,000 for their season opener. Perhaps it yet falls apart, but as more guys like Mike Grella get a chance to play in England (or when Eric Lichaj breaks into the XVIII for Aston Villa) coming out of the US college system, I think it will shine more of a spotlight on the quality that can be seen in country.

By the way, with Urlacher out for the season, the Bears signed native Brit (Exeter) Tim Shaw as a roster replacement.
  • Options
    Well as usual the Raiders get screwed by a BS call on the Murphy TD.

All very hard to take when you get up a 5am to watch the game and lose.

We played really well overall though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Green Bay Packers = Number 1
  • Options
    The Patriots Super Bowl team that lost to the Bears in '86 was pretty good, but the franshise went downhill pretty fast.
    In 1990, they had 16,000 season ticket holders and couldn't draw flies. They hosted the Giants in the last regular season game, and it was nearly all Giants fans in Foxboro (Giants went on to win the Super Bowl, Patriots were something like 1-13 or 1-16 under Rod Rust). They nearly moved to St. Louis when James Orthwein owned the franchise, and even the Krafts nearly moved it to Foxboro.
    And despite all of the Patriots recent successes, they are still a distant second to the Red Sox.

Soccer has been the supposed 'Sleeping Giant of American Sport' since Pele played for the Cosmos in the mid-70s.
    I hope that your scenario comes to fruition, but I think it is what is going to be in America, but with an occassion bonus of some pretty competitive national teams.
  • Options
    raiders for me MARCUS ALLEN AIRBOURNE
  • Options
    I went to Wembley to watch the New England Patriots thrash the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 35-7. The atmosphere at Wembley was brilliant and i will deffinitely be going again next year. At least i get to go to Wembley at least once a year lol

Also, on Thursday 26th Nov there are 3 live games on Sky Sports because its Thanksgiving in America and the first game kicks off at 6pm so i'll be clocking off work early that day ;)
  • Options
    When i lived in the States, i spent Thanksgiving at my uni mates house in Philly. His family were Italian American and the Grandad sat at the head of the table. Theres was about 40 people eating, sitting down to watch the Eagles after. Was like a scene out of The Sopranos.

Love watching the NFL on thanksgiving.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]They nearly moved to St. Louis when James Orthwein owned the franchise, and even the Krafts nearly moved it to Foxboro
    Eh? The Pats have been in Foxboro for 40 years!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]They nearly moved to St. Louis when James Orthwein owned the franchise, and even the Krafts nearly moved it to Foxboro[/quote]
    Eh? The Pats have been in Foxboro for 40 years![/quote]

My bad. That should have been Hartford. The Krafts nearly took the team to Connecticut.
    I know they are in Foxboro. I did the first telecast from Gillette Stadium, and the last from Foxboro Stadium in 2002.