Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 Exeter 1 - Your post match views

edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Tighter game than many predicted, and we didn't seem to really fire at any stage, so grateful for the points.

Post your post-match views in this thread.

Comments

• Options
    Spring or Dailly motm for me!
  • Options
    I didn't go but would love to know how McLeod played?
  • Options
    We seem to be playing well within ourselves at the moment. Not sure why we aren't being a bit more ruthless.

To be honest the first half today was pretty poor all round. I suppose the amount of possession we had meant we just about deserved to be infront at half-time.

2nd half wasn't much better. Pleased for Izale though. He is clearly popular as every player except Elliot seemed to want to celebrate with him.

Exeter weren't a bad side, they knocked it around ok, bit of a poor man's Doncaster.

3 points is 3 points. However, if we want to win Tuesday and or get anything from Leeds we will need a significant improvement.

Felt we lacked movement off the ball today and the midfield were very slow in offering Burton any support.

Dailly was as solid as ever. Richardson had a stinker in my book. He must have been pleased to see the back of the kid who gave him the run around all afternoon.

Youga MOM for me.

Moment of the day - The Exeter sub keeper still in full kit boots etc, taking delivery of about 15 pizzas in Harvey Gardens after the game!!!!
  • Options
    Clem - pretty much sums up my thoughts, thought Spring had his best game for us (some great tackles), Richardson was woeful and as you said, was given the run around by their winger.

Dailly MOM for me, very composed and held the back 4 together.
  • Options
    Think clem says it all really, there was close to zero movement off the ball, no1 seemed to want it, but 3 points is 3 points, was a funny game both teams had some great passing movements but with absolutely zero end product, we put so many croses in the box in first 20 min and could, maybe should have been a few up, after that we lost the wind in our sails and started arguing amungst ourselves. just looked like last season, except we nicked a goal at the end of the first half, never thought we would lose, feared we may only get a point at parts but end of the day 3 points is 3 points, glad for izale, hopefully just what he needed.

Elliot - 7 couple of good saves, 1 deano kick
    Richardson - 5 pretty woeful but still usefull going forward
    Llera - 5 Great in air but scares the shit out of me with the ball on the deck, clearly a man low on confidence
    Daily - 7.5 Thank god he was there to mop up after llera, great positional sense, superb in the tackle
    Youga - 8 MOM Really solid at back great going forward, will deff get some goals this season
    Sam - 6.5 Not his best game for us but very skillful with ball at his feet, some good croses, seemed injuried in first half thou, didnt run for anything for rest of game
    Spring - 7 good performance, still hope to dear god semedo's fit again soon
    Racon - 6 2 or 3 moments of absolute class, but game passed him by a little
    Bailey - 7.5 Captain fantastic chipped in with a goal, good all round performance
    Shelvy - 6.5 Some moments of class but also some poor decisions, should have played burton through a few times
    Burton - 6.5 Should have scored in first 20 min, but was feeding off scraps for the rest of the game, still ran and hastled relentlessly throughout game

Wagstaff - Didnt really have time to impress
    Izale - Glad he got his goal, stretched their defence when he game on with his pace and power
  • Options
    Not a stroll in the park. I felt that after the first 20 minutes Exeter started to close us down and we started to lack penetration. The goal came at a good time. Second half we found it difficult to get our link up play going. I thought we just did enough. Well done to McLeod for getting his chance and burying it. My MOM was Youga.
  • Options
    Not our best display of the season but we won and thats all that matters.

Will have to improve for the next two away games, but that might suit us a bit more as the home team emphasis will be to attack us.
  • Options
    Credit to Exeter who survived the first 15 when we were cutting them apart and started to press us and stop us playing and moving so well

Deserved to be a goal up at HT even if we weren't at our best.

2nd half Exeter seemed to push up right on to the defence to stop us moving the ball. Thought they were a good team and too many Charlton players were not quite at their best notably Burton and Racon. Ball didn't stick to Burton like it normally does, Racon did some lovely stuff but all gave possession away too easily. Not Shelvey's best game either and could have done better with the chance in the 2nd when he was well wide. maybe again trying too hard. I hear he has a brother who's quite good. Anyone seen him play.

You can see why Exeter held Leeds with 10 men. Nice passing and some decent, strong defenders. Looked like a team that has been playing together for 2 or 3 years but I still felt we we better.

So pleased for Izele. OK, it was a gift from the keeper but he was where he should be and put it away well into the corner. First of many I hope.

Sodje! One header but went for miles. Loved Sam and McLeod tricks in the corner

Youga or Spring for MOTM but hope Semedo is back soon.
  • Options
    We completely outplayed them for 20 minutes or so but produced little of note.

No disrespect to Exeter but against a better side that profligacy will be punished.

That said you cannot knock 3 points. Somehow Rob Elliot's extremely lacklustre tunnel jumps at the end summed up the afternoon for me.

What was wrong with Semedo? We badly missed him in my view although Spring did alright in the first half but rather faded I felt.
  • Options
    Youga motm for me.

Thought Burtons movement was non existant and was glad he went off. Agree the support was poor but he walks after he lays the ball off!

Dailly class, Llera not. His defending at corners is v poor.

Wouldve took Spring off instead of Racon.

We have done well but reckon we'll get done at Colchester and torn apart at Leeds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm happy that we mixed the team up a bit and still got the 3pts! Happy being one of the only 2 unbeaten teams in English Leagues at the moment.
  • Options
    First half...I thought we looked comfortable early on, perhaps a bit too comfortable and Exeter were chasing shadows a bit, but we didn't take advantage and when they got their second wind the match broke down into a pretty enough passing game without much end product. Exeter seemed to be well coached and well prepared - Sam and Burton were closed down quite effectively so when we got the ball into the final third the gaps didn't quite appear.

Second half...I thought Exeter sat back a bit too much early on and tried to press us into losing concentration.

Spring looked good in the Semedo role and played well. Congrats to McLeod for being in the right place to score, but he looked good and wanted the ball and his introduction changed things a bit for us attacking wise, suddenly Exeter had McLeod running at them. Credit to Parky who made the right call in subbing Burton.

Nevertheless a win is a win and 2-1 was a fair result, but this is the second match we've conceded a 90th minute goal, we've got to concentrate for the entire match!
  • Options
    I thought it wasn't a great game but it was the sort of game we'll have a lot of this season. The crowd were expecting a win and the fans along with the team were a bit flat (although some decided slagging off certain players was a better option than actually getting behind them). Dailly and Youga stood out for me with Youga being MoM. The young winger Noone caused Richardson all sorts of problems and was suprised (glad) to see him subbed. Delighted for McLeod to get his goal and won't be shocked if he gets a few now. Thought we missed Semedo but Spring was far from a disaster, just think Semedo is a better player. 3 points in the bag and roll on Tuesday.
  • Options
    We missed Burton the moment he was substituted. He had worked tirelessly all the game for little reward and he was clearly quite knackered but his ability to win in the air and hold play up was immediately made very evident (strangely enough) 'after' he left the pitch.
    It must be said that his replacement wasn't a patch on him, however he scored.So what do I know.
    Well done Parky I guess but IMHO it's always going to be a bit of a risk to sub Burton, that is unless he's injured or totally exhausted.
  • Options
    I meant to add that I was surprised by two things re Noone...he had given Richardson a pretty torrid time in the first half so why did he swap wings at half time and secondly why was he subbed..........quite strange I thought?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I meant to add that I was surprised by two things re Noone...he had given Richardson a pretty torrid time in the first half so why did he swap wings at half time and secondly why was he subbed..........quite strange I thought?

I think they felt we were struggling when defending set pieces so wanted more height out there so that was why he was subbed. As for switching wings perhaps they thought Youga might find a tricky little bloke troublesome and Bailey is probably not as quick as Sam to act as backup.

I have to say I was pleased Noone went off. I felt he was their most effective player whilst he was on.
  • Options
    Maybe it was just me...but did anyone else notice the musical connections in Exeter's squad - Duffy, Stansfield, Taylor, Noone, Harley, Marriott, Corr...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I meant to add that I was surprised by two things re Noone...he had given Richardson a pretty torrid time in the first half so why did he swap wings at half time and secondly why was he subbed..........quite strange I thought?

I think they felt we were struggling when defending set pieces so wanted more height out there so that was why he was subbed. As for switching wings perhaps they thought Youga might find a tricky little bloke troublesome and Bailey is probably not as quick as Sam to act as backup.

I have to say I was pleased Noone went off. I felt he was their most effective player whilst he was on.

Agreed Len.......I think we should keep tabs on that young fella!
  • Options
    compliment to youga that they switched noone to stop him rampaging forward so much.

Think Frazer stuck to his job well and some harsh criticism on here.
  • Options
    Ok all round performance, Youga def our best player. Got up n down all game, looked good going forward. Wish we had played a 442, not only to give jonjo a break but it would have helped deon who looked very isolated. Not sure if that was his fault though?

Jonjo needs to stop dropping off so much n support deon more if we're playing like we are. Quiet afternoon for him unfortunately. The lad needs a rest, not done enough in the past few weeks. Spring done well breaking up play, Bailey solid as usual. I'd start to bring sodje in as Llera is starting to drop in quality

Wins a win though, need a point against Leeds though, so a step up in quality needed from today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]compliment to youga that they switched noone to stop him rampaging forward so much.

Think Frazer stuck to his job well and some harsh criticism on here.

Agreed Henry, that lad Noone was quite a handfull.
  • Options
    Bailey does not have the pace or the stamina to play wide. Mid way through the second half he seemed hardly able to run anymore.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]Bailey does not have the pace or the stamina to play wide. Mid way through the second half he seemed hardly able to run anymore.

Oh ....really?
  • Options
    Noone highlighted a weakness in Richardson's game - he lacks a bit of pace. The winger vs Brentford troubled him a few times as well. However Richardson positions himself well, gets forward and links with Sam and looks unflappable even when he's under a bit of pressure.
  • Options
    Coming out the ground after I heard one fan say to another "Shelvey is shit". He might not be at his best but generally this season he's done quite well for a senior player, never mind a 17 year old.
  • Options
    Can't believe how many people thought Youga was MOTM. Nice to hear. Even nicer to see Izale score.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Coming out the ground after I heard one fan say to another "Shelvey is shit". He might not be at his best but generally this season he's done quite well for a senior player, never mind a 17 year old.

Sad to hear that, as you point out he's 17 and playing and at times dominating matches against players with a decade or more's experience. We can't expect him to play brilliantly every match and at times I think he tries too hard and does too much.

My worry is that he'll exhaust himself by Easter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]at times I think he tries too hard and does too much.
    I feel like thats true at times. Hope we don't overplay him, when we're playing twice a week more often is when it'll get harder for him.
  • Options
    With this team we have won 7, drawn 2, lost 0. At the moment we don't need to change f*ck all, regardless of all the so-called weaknessess mentioned above. They won't all play well all the time.
  • Options
    I thought Youga was our best player in a performance that wasn't great.
    As for the crowd, as Exeter began to get going in the second half, especially from their disallowed goal, I actually felt the crowd sensed that the lads needed some unconditional support, and were actually trying to help them through. yeah there were probably individuals slagging off individuals, but I felt the support was exactly that, an attempt to aid the players when they weren't at their best.....was it just me who felt this?
    errrm, three juicy points!