Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 Exeter 1 - Your post match views

Comments

• Options
    3 points is 3 points.

Noone gave Richardson a pretty tough time, but I thought he stuck to his task well and got forward well.

Let's face it, any half decent winger having a good day will give any full back a tough time in this division. No shame in it, it's just the way it is. As long as your full back has more good days then bad then that's good enough.

Thought Youga had a good game today. Still a few heart-in-mouth moments, but they all came off - today!
  • Options
    Richardson only had a below-par performance because he was clearly injured. He and Sam could hardly run in the second half, I couldn't believe neither of them were substituted.
  • Options
    This was the type of game I was expecting when we got relegated. I have to agree with those who think we are not being adventerous enough and we are playing way within ourselves.
  • Options
    I thought we bossd the first 20 mins and no-one could complain if we had gone in 2 up.........by all accounts we should have had a penalty but from my view it was hard to tell. It would have been an injustice if we had not come away with all 3 points.

MOM = Racon. The guy is a genius with the ball at his feet and if he was playing for arsenal Hanson & Co would be wetting their pants. Also mentioned in dispatches are richardson, youga & dailly.......all class acts today and although Richardson may have been skinned a few times by their winger his forward play is a joy to watch.

only negative points..........Burton had a poor game and teams have finally sussed out that he only has one trick - laying the ball off and if you cut out his lay-offs you stop our attacks..........plan B required !

oh........and we have not played anyone in the top half of the table.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    oh........and we have not played anyone in the top half of the table.

Just couldn't resist it!

(Hartlepool)
  • Options
    1st 20 minutes we were outstanding, but then allowed Exeter to get stronger,by the end of the 2nd half we were lucky to come out with 3 points. Probably our worst performances this season, but in the past we have had good performances and ended up with no points. Bailey had a better game than recently, thought his goal was a bit flukey, but watching it on TV, he did mean it, so well done.
  • Options
    I thought Llera looked like a baby giraffe yesterday especially when he tripped over his own feet in the first half. I would like to see Sodje in the back four by the time we play Leeds next week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]I thought Llera looked like a baby giraffe yesterday especially when he tripped over his own feet in the first half. I would like to see Sodje in the back four by the time we play Leeds next week.

Plus side as well though. There were four or five occasions when he had the ball and some space, he was looking everywhere and succeeded in picking out some pretty accurate and threatening long passes. Overall not our best game, maybe it's just that other teams are wising up to our tactics now. Delighted for Izzy, it obviously meant a lot to everyone and the team celebration with him makes me think that everyone believes that there is more to come.
  • Options
    It was the type of game we will have to play many times this season. Exeter may not have the best players in the division but they work well as a team.(sum of the parts and all that) I think with their style of play they will draw a lot more than they win. And will lose many by the odd goal where the games have been tight, like yesterday.
    On the whole not a classic but we won and I think we deserved the win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought some of the cross field balls were "Beckham-esk" yesterday, especially a couple that found Lloyd on the right-wing.
  • Options
    http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34466

Exeter views.

Some good comments about Charlton as a club
  • Options
    The very sort of result that last year we would have made a real pig's ear of and it is tribute to the way that the team is playing that we are getting points on the board whether the performances are classic or workmanlike the only important thing is the 3 points! Well done the lads!!
  • Options
    Played well first 20 minutes and had we got the goal then, I think we would have gone on from there and bossed the game. No goal allowed Exeter to get back into it, and I thought the longer it went on it showed they look a decent outfit.
    To not play well and still get the 3 points is a good sign, particularly when you have won 7 out of nine and the 2 other games we drew could have so easily been wins as well, there is very little to have a go at the moment, let’s hope we keep it up!
    Even though I thought Spring did well yesterday, I thought the loss of Semedo was clear when it came to breaking their attacks up and getting us breaking on them.
  • Options
    Anyone got any ideas why they call themselves Grecians?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Anyone got any ideas why they call themselves Grecians?

Because the have 2000 fans........Fact
  • Options
    Also ....... we're not only unbeaten for the first 9 games of the season, in the top 2 with daylight between us and the 3rd placed club ....... but we're the Division's leading goalscorers.

To have scored more goals than any other team with only one forward ....... well, we must be doing something right!
  • Options
    I was very impressed with Matt Spring yesterday. Not only was he very tidy on the ball, he was bringing people into the game, covering and tracking well, and a good talker.
    Not physical like Semedo but invariably in the right place at the right time - old head and experienced - did a good job.

Dailly - again ties that whole back 4 together coupled with good distribution.

Youga - what a transformation from the hesitant player full of self-doubt and bereft of confidence.
    Game on game his self-belief has gradually been returning and yesterday Exeter had little answer to him whether Youga was defending or attacking. Respect!

So pleased for Dizzy Izzy yesterday, so hungry to do well - it says something when he scored that all outfield players come over to congratulate him.
    Sitting in the lower west just in front of them, so could see close up how they were so pleased for him.
    Real team spirit that!

See Jonny Fortune was a non-playing sub for Sheff Untied yesterday.
  • Options
    It seems at the moment that even if we are not firing on all cylinders we are still able to win these sort of games. Thought Exeter got into the game well and slowly pushed us back after a good start by us.
    So they were no pushover and we were still the stronger team so it looks encouraging at the moment .
  • Options
    Did Izzy get booked for his shirt removal yesterday?

The prediction thread showed we had little thought of an Exeter victory and in the Rose of Denmark before hand we were predicting 3 / 4 / 5 goal victories, it would not surprise me if the team were infected likewise and we have seen many a team suffer as the result of such complacency. the ease with which we tore them apart only addded to the feeling that Exeter were there for the taking, then they fought back!!!! I suspect no such complacency will exist next week either at Colchester or Leeds, I am not so bold as to expect 6 points but 4 is not beyond us. Leeds are feeling invincible and that may be their undoing next week.

Sticking my neck out the biggest threat we have over the next 7 days comes from Lisbie and his pace. Draw at Colchester and 3 points at Leeds - gulp!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    poor performance yesterday. Are the players beginning to get complacent I wonder. Youga my MOM. Richardson was poor but seeing as how he is carrying a knock he's forgiven. Exeter were neat and tidy but we should have put them away a lot, lot earlier. We are in danger of being seriously found out, get around Burton and you stop our game.

My question (again) : has Parky got a Plan B ? Will we ever see it in action ?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    We tore them apart for most of the first 30 mins and should by then have been a couple of goals to the good.
    Even the Exeter manager reckoned we should have had a penalty.

Plan A eventually fell apart a bit because ...... once they doubled up on Sam, Jonjo and our midfield played too deep causing Burton to become isolated.

That also invited pressure on to our defence, leaving only the quick breakaway as any chance of penetration.
    We're at our best taking the game to opponents
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Plan A eventually fell apart a bit because ...... once they doubled up on Sam, Jonjo and our midfield played too deep causing Burton to become isolated.

fair enough but then it's time to wheel out Plan B except, oh, there doesn't appear to be one.
  • Options
    Plan B needed to be to revert to Plan A ..... which meant playing higher up the pitch taking the pressure off our defence, closing the gap between Burton and the midfield, and taking the game to Exeter.

Just like we did in the first 30 mins.

It's what we're best at.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Plan B needed to be to revert to Plan A ..... which meant playing higher up the pitch taking the pressure off our defence, closing the gap between Burton and the midfield, and taking the game to Exeter.

It's what we're best at.

Have to agree here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Plan A eventually fell apart a bit because ...... once they doubled up on Sam, Jonjo and our midfield played too deep causing Burton to become isolated.

fair enough but then it's time to wheel out Plan B except, oh, there doesn't appear to be one.

Oh really Large? Let's just pause to think about that comment for a wee while.

Are you seriously suggesting that our manager - a professional man who has been on all the relevant courses, studied tactics, attained qualifications and who has steered us to the top of the table and undefeated in the league so far - really hasn't thought about a "Plan B" and that if our "Plan A" gets rumbled then he hasn't got a clue what to do next? Or is it that YOU don't know what the "Plan B" is, or could be? Big difference.

We're winning games and "Plan A" seems to be working just fine to me, even when we don't play particularly well.

I really do wonder the thought process some people go through before positing on here, really I do.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Plan B needed to be to revert to Plan A ..... which meant playing higher up the pitch taking the pressure off our defence, closing the gap between Burton and the midfield, and taking the game to Exeter.

It's what we're best at.

Have to agree here

have to disagree. We are too one dimensional, we have to have another string to our bow.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]

It's what we're best at.

Have to agree here

have to disagree. We are too one dimensional, we have to have another string to our bow.

Who say's we dont have one??? We haven't been beaten this season so perhaps he doesn't feel the need to go public with every formation they have been working on.... By the way i actually think plan c is better than plan b but i'm not the manager, i'm confident both will work very well though when needed.
  • Options
    dailly best player on the pitch by miles he covered Lleras arse still think he is a weak link in the side matt spring did well still like to see 2 up front but we are winning so dont seem to matter at the moment also good to see izale score a goal and sam to last 90 minutes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]dailly best player on the pitch by miles he covered Lleras arse still think he is a weak link in the side matt spring did well still like to see 2 up front but we are winning so dont seem to matter at the moment also good to see izale score a goal and sam to last 90 minutes.

I agree I think Lera is a bit weak, but you can tell he is trying his nuts off......

cover from sodje is great and to be fair I think Dailly and Sodje is a very solid League one CB pairing in deed