Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Problem with 4-5-1

Is that eventually other teams suss you out, your level of performance drops off, the goals dry up and your defence starts conceding sloppy goals. We saw it happen in the premiership under Curbs with Bartlett playing the Burton role. Last night's result was so predictable because the same pattern has started to develop over the past few weeks. Second half at Norwich we were terrible and we didn't play well against Exeter.
You have to be able to switch to a plan B when the need arises. I would, generally, play 4-4-2 in home games and 4-5-1 in most away games. This way the team gets to play good confidence building football at home, the strikers get more chances and you are then able to revert to 4-4-2 away from home as well if you need to.
We have to get a plan B together quickly and find two strikers that play well together, because imo we will not get promoted if we continue to play 4-5-1 all season. Sort it out please Parky before we blow a great opportunity.

Comments

• With teams coming to The Valley playing one up front that gives them 9 men behind the ball when we have possesion. If you take our holding midfielder out of the picture as an attacking force that gives us 5 v 9 in the area that counts so it's no wonder we have a problem creating more chances than we do.
    I think we were lucky on Saturday that Exeter gifted us that second goal tbh.
  • It's following a remarkably similar pattern to the start of Curbs last season. We started like a bomb, but the performances were getting worse even though we were still winning. We got a very lucky win at Pompey with Rommedahl scoring in the last minute, but still Curbs continued with the same formation. After the Pompey game we fell away, Murphy got dropped and the rest is history. When the system starts to show signs of no longer being effective, you need to change it quickly before the rot sets in and the team loses confidence.
  • in my opinion the problem with 442 is that Shelvey doesn't start for me. Racon and Semedo in the middle...

therefore I can't see us playing that way tbh..
  • I agree with QLD, but also with Eltham.....I dont think young Jonjo fits into a conventional 442 therefore I cant see PP changing it. Ive said since Southampton that we need to see the plan B and its apparent now that we dont have one.
  • On the flip side - despite his excellent ability I can't see Jonjo playing all season. He is only 17, we seem to forget, I just think he is going to burn out.

He may not though - we'll wait and see.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]On the flip side - despite his excellent ability I can't see Jonjo playing all season. He is only 17, we seem to forget, I just think he is going to burn out.

He may not though - we'll wait and see.

I agree and maybe now is the time to give him a bit of a break and play 442 (if Semedo is fit) and give Izzy (or whoever) a run with Deon?
  • One mans 451 is anothers 433 and anothers 442 and anothers 4411

We don't play a rigid 451 we're very flexable with Bailey and Sam encouraged to get forward while Shelvey is given license to roam meaning that we have 4 attacking players on the pitch.

It seems the slight dip in form has come since Samedo has been out of the side. That said if you're not going to defend diagonal balls properlly it doesn't matter which formation you play.
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite][The trouble with 451] Is that eventually other teams suss you out, your level of performance drops off, the goals dry up and your defence starts conceding sloppy goals.
    And that only happens with 451?
  • Leaving out our top creator would be suicide. Shelvey may only be 17 but he's a classy 17 year old who can pick a killer pass. 6 assists are the proof of that.
  • shelvey has been garbage for three games know 2nd last nite down to him
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone here really believe that a 17 year old can start 46 League games?

At home we need to stretch teams because they will turn up with 10 behind the ball. By "stretch" I don't mean just in terms of width - you need to have someone who has the pace to get in behind the opposition and Burton simply can't do that. And that doesn't mean we have to be a long ball team but it gives us an "out" we don't currently have.

So, at home, while Semedo is injured, why can't Racon "sit" and Jonjo play a more orthodox midfield role? Away from home (especially at the likes of Leeds) revert to 4-5-1 by all means and change it to 4-4-2 when we have to.

Only issue is who is going to be the other one in the "2" and (even I'm now bored to death saying it) he happens to be playing and scoring for the team just a point behind us now.

We have to be flexible but Parky seems to be unable to change things until the horse has well and truly bolted.
  • There's nothing wrong with the 4-5-1 save for it requires us to play from the midfield with the ball on the floor and get plenty of support to the loan striker.

When you just hoof it up to Burton it won't work cos he isn't the tallest and even when he wins the header there's no-one with him to take advantage.
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]There's nothing wrong with the 4-5-1 save for it requires us to play from the midfield with the ball on the floor and get plenty of support to the loan striker.

When you just hoof it up to Burton it won't work cos he isn't the tallest and even when he wins the header there's no-one with him to take advantage.

Aren't we missing a trick though? It's pace that defenders (especially centre backs a la Llera) hate. They don't want to be turning and in this Division they tend to have a much bigger turning circle than in the Premiership.
  • People shouldn't get too stuck on formations. Charlton don't play 4-5-1 because Shelvey is often right up there with Burton. He also gets out wide to get crosses in because he knows how to find space. People didn't used to have a problem with Gary Nelson when he always drifted out wide to the left, because they knew that he was good at finding space. Di Canio was another that used his brain to find space out there and open up channels for others to run into. And it's not right to say that the way Charlton play is negative.....Richardson and Youga provide plenty of additional options coming forward and the current way we play encourages that.

On the subject of Shelvey, there's bound to be a natural break for suspensions and injury (he's taken some bookings already). He's not going to play 46 league games because he won't be available for them all. Also, it's a LONG season and things change....he could well be playing a few games in centre-midfield a bit later on if other players get injured or suspended....which they will. He will possibly soon take a turn on the bench too, as McLeod gets a couple of games.
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]People shouldn't get too stuck on formations. Charlton don't play 4-5-1 because Shelvey is often right up there with Burton. He also gets out wide to get crosses in because he knows how to find space. People didn't used to have a problem with Gary Nelson when he always drifted out wide to the left, because they knew that he was good at finding space. Di Canio was another that used his brain to find space out there and open up channels for others to run into. And it's not right to say that the way Charlton play is negative.....Richardson and Youga provide plenty of additional options coming forward and the current way we play encourages that.

On the subject of Shelvey, there's bound to be a natural break for suspensions and injury (he's taken some bookings already). He's not going to play 46 league games because he won't be available for them all. Also, it's a LONG season and things change....he could well be playing a few games in centre-midfield a bit later on if other players get injured or suspended....which they will. He will possibly soon take a turn on the bench too, as McLeod gets a couple of games.
    Have to agree with that.

We'll see 4-4-2 whenever Jonjo isn't in the team. When that happens, it'll still look like 4-5-1 at times as Burton will sometimes drop deep with McLeod/whoever making runs, or McLeod/whoever will drop deep to run at players. It's much more about the types of players and combinations we try, rather than saying when Jonjo plays it's 4-5-1, when McLeod plays it's 4-4-2.

The Barnet JPT game also gives us a chance to try a few things out. Have to play at least 6 regulars, so it won't be a reserve side like we played against Hereford.
  • Hope to see two new strikers play against Barnet, McLeod needs 90mins and maybe McKenzie or Tuna alongside
    The six that will stay in side should be: Elliot, Llera, Youga, Racon, Bailey, Semedo (if fit) and will Wagstaff qualify as he has come on in over half our games?
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonfan[/cite]shelvey has been garbage for three games know 2nd last nite down to him

You absolute cock
  • At his age JJ is not going to last the whole season without having a break. Therefore it is imperative that we develop another string to our bow by finding a front two partnership that compliment each other.
    Burton is the only forward that we have that can play well on his own up front, if he gets injured or loses form our 4-5-1 will suddenly become far far less successful.
  • [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonfan[/cite]shelvey has been garbage for three games know 2nd last nite down to him

You absolute cock

Agreed, call yourself a charltonfan......... fck sake, he's been outstanding this season, and 2nd down to him?? I think you'll find we're 2nd down to Leeds, and can go top if we beat them...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite][The trouble with 451] Is that eventually other teams suss you out, your level of performance drops off, the goals dry up and your defence starts conceding sloppy goals.[/quote]

And that only happens with 451?[/quote]

Yes it does also happen in a 4-4-2. But it is far easier for your squad players to adapt to a 4-4-2 than a 4-5-1. Tuna for example could come in and do a useful job in a 4-4-2 but would probably look lost up front on his own playing Burton's role.So with a 4-4-2 system you have more options to bring players in if your first choice loses form. We've been very fortunate until now in that we have a first 11 that can play the 4-5-1 system well, but I don't think we have the depth in the squad to carry it through the whole season.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Atletico Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonfan[/cite]shelvey has been garbage for three games know 2nd last nite down to him

You absolute cock

Agreed, call yourself a charltonfan......... fck sake, he's been outstanding this season, and 2nd down to him?? I think you'll find we're 2nd down to Leeds, and can go top if we beat them...

Ignore this rubbish as most of us who read what was written did.......

Whoever it is, is just looking for attention and its been handed on a plate
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]At his age JJ is not going to last the whole season without having a break. Therefore it is imperative that we develop another string to our bow by finding a front two partnership that compliment each other.
    Burton is the only forward that we have that can play well on his own up front, if he gets injured or loses form our 4-5-1 will suddenly become far far less successful.
    Not sure why people are finding this so difficult to understand.

We also have the issue of match fitness, when players do come in, they will take a couple of games to get up to speed - by which time the football cognoscenti will be condemning the formation and booing the players.
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Atletico Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]

You absolute cock

Ignore this rubbish as most of us who read what was written did.......

Whoever it is, is just looking for attention and its been handed on a plate

Can't comment on Shelvey's overall performance but having seen the highlights, he should have done better in the build up for the second goal.
  • Is we've won most the matches, but it's not a formation that can come back from a few goals down.
  • Sorry what's wrong with the Poles? I don't think I've met one who doesn't work. Sorry but if you want to talk about who contributed to this country than Poles in the twentieth century made a massive contribution.

How can you have job protection for the lazy fuckers who don't work? Look I find it sad when immigration does take a job away from a hard working UK citizen but the fact is most the jobs they do are done because UK citizens are too fucking lazy to do them. Yes immigration does affect the poorest of society in negotiaiting wages/cost, but on the other side the poorest who don't work had no intention of competing with them. So throw them out then basic low level services are not done. I thought it great recently when I went to Leeds and the household staff were locals, why does that not happen in London?

Razil we don't have to go back to Victorian Workhouses. There should be basic positive human rights, such as housing and basic healthcare. Everything else has to be paid for. Why is it a schools where the majority of kids are on free dinners, are walking aroun with IPlayers? Mates work in some of the most deprived areas of London, where these kids parents do nothing but yet they have the latest technology. Whilst most of them have never been West or East on the underground. Basic rights and then it's up to them.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Sorry what's wrong with the Poles? I don't think I've met one who doesn't work. Sorry but if you want to talk about who contributed to this country than Poles in the twentieth century made a massive contribution.

How can you have job protection for the lazy fuckers who don't work? Look I find it sad when immigration does take a job away from a hard working UK citizen but the fact is most the jobs they do are done because UK citizens are too fucking lazy to do them. Yes immigration does affect the poorest of society in negotiaiting wages/cost, but on the other side the poorest who don't work had no intention of competing with them. So throw them out then basic low level services are not done. I thought it great recently when I went to Leeds and the household staff were locals, why does that not happen in London?

Razil we don't have to go back to Victorian Workhouses. There should be basic positive human rights, such as housing and basic healthcare. Everything else has to be paid for. Why is it a schools where the majority of kids are on free dinners, are walking aroun with IPlayers? Mates work in some of the most deprived areas of London, where these kids parents do nothing but yet they have the latest technology. Whilst most of them have never been West or East on the underground. Basic rights and then it's up to them.

??????????????????
  • I think it's what's known as taking a thread away from it's original subject!
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Sorry what's wrong with the Poles? I don't think I've met one who doesn't work. Sorry but if you want to talk about who contributed to this country than Poles in the twentieth century made a massive contribution.

??????????????????

they probably getting them from dealing in crack, and burglary?

:D
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]We've been very fortunate until now in that we have a first 11 that can play the 4-5-1 system well, but I don't think we have the depth in the squad to carry it through the whole season.

We've not been fortunate, the fact that we have those 11 players is exactly the reason we are playing 4-5-1. Not because it's Parky's preferred formation, not for any other reason. If Shelvey left just before the start of the season, and the rest of the squad was exactly the same, we'd have been playing 4-4-2 most games, probably with McLeod alongside Burton.

I agree we don't have the depth for it, simply because Burton (apart from possibly McKenzie, if he's ever fit) can play in that role, and Shelvey is the only player that will play his position. Anyone else would play like a striker or a midfielder.
  • [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]We've been very fortunate until now in that we have a first 11 that can play the 4-5-1 system well, but I don't think we have the depth in the squad to carry it through the whole season.

e6xefm.jpg