Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

In the cold light of day - Post Match Views. Colchester 3-0 Charlton

WSSWSS
edited September 2009 in General Charlton
Please put all of your views on that "performance" in here.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]just got back utter wank,Llera shite and Elliott very poor for first and third goals he seems to be having a confidence crisis.The most worrying thing was we had diddly squat on the bench.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I hate Boothroyd teams - effective but fuck me is it ugly! All he has is 2 jumbolumps at the back and two more up front and we seem incapable of bettering it. The pitch was very thin and short which suited their style too
    Whenever we got it we smacked it to Burton who lost it in the air
    neither midfield got into the game as the ball bypassed them aerially

Llera was dreadful
    Elliott had a poor game
    Shelvey was ineffective as the ball was nowhere near him
    Spring offered as much protection as a blancmange

I hope it was just a blip and the wake up call we needed as not performed well for a few weeks now

special mention to Kemi Izzet for excellent portrayal of wind-up merchant as was always in the thick of any aggro giving his tuppence worth to the shocking ref
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Just got back, a real throw back to the last two seasons tonight. After the first goal went in we were totally outplayed and ended up lumping the ball in the air to Burton all night. Three howlers for their goals, Llera awful and another mistake from Elliot. What a joke the 'Elliot for England' posting was earlier in the week. Only one person earnt his money tonight and that was Richardson!

I don't want to critise Parky after our first defeat, but 2 - 0 down at half time I felt he should have bought McLeod and Sodjie on at half time. Typical Charlton, great away following tonight and the team let us down. Colchester were a good side and had us totally worked out. Could easily have been 4 - 0 when they missed an absolute sitter right at the end. Worthy winners on the night!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Big C[/cite]What an awful performance, worst ive seen in many a year. Nearly missed the KO too after miscalculating how long it took to bus it from the town centre. Llera was AWFUL, and was rightly subbed, but too late to do any good. Racon was very quiet, as was Shelvey (and i think it was him that gave the ball away for the 2nd goal - although i may be wrong, had a crap view), Dailly looked solid, but thats probably because Llera was so bad it made him look good. Youga was dodgy as ever at the back at times but good coming forward. Lloyd Sam was ineffective. Burton had a very poor game, didnt win a thing in the air. Thought Spring was unlucky to be subbed, he didnt do much wrong. Elliott had a shocker, lack of communication between him and defence was obvious throughout, as seen by the shocking O.G. Bailey tried but it just didnt happen for him. Pretty awful all round really, Richardson was the best of a bad bunch for me. Support was fantastic again, especially considering the performance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]That was bloody awful, and the really frustrating thing was that Colchester aren't very good from what I saw, just direct. It is an Aidy Bootroyd team - lump it forward to the big man. Fortunately we have a CB capable of getting his head on just about anything, so what do we do, leave him on the bench. At half time I was certain we would see 2 subs, Sodje & Mcleod for Spring & Llera and was absolutely stunned when it didn't happen. 0-2 down with 45 mins to go, you have got to go for it and go 4-4-2 (especially as we had never looked like scoring). I would also have bought Tuna on for the last 20 mins, after all by that stage we were 0-3 down and had no chance of getting back into it so why not give the lad some match practice?
  • Options
    I'd rather forget about it! Thought Richardson battled well though. Too many of ours let themselves be bullied off the ball so we resorted to head tennis. Credit to Bothroyd, he'd done his homework. Llera should have been subbed earlier. Heh hoh!
  • Options
    My take on it was an all around under-par, un-interested performance.

It was galling we gifted them 2, if not all 3 goals with individual errors. We brought ourselves down to their level and despite having that extra man in midfiled did not play our game. We fell for the long ball crap and started trying it ourselves.

Nobody had a good game, we had no options on the bench really although Izzy looked lively when he came on - just a shame it was over by then.

The only highlight was, Bristol Rovers apart, the other results were ok for us.

Big test now to see how we bounce back against Leeds - we can't afford to lose 3/4 games on the trot or the confidence garnered from the alst 9 games means sweet FA.
  • Options
    Colchester did their homework and exploited our weak areas, lots of crosses to test Elliot and plenty of running at pace at Llera.

Lisbie missed two sitters but other than that absolutely ran the show.

Terrible support noise wise from us.
  • Options
    All games are won in the middle of the park, our much heralded midfield was a complete 'NO SHOW' last night. No point in playing five across the middle if you are not going to battle for the ball. As for the creative side of the midfield again non existant last night, their keeper made one save at the end.

The less said about our defensive mistakes the better. Colchester worked hard played a no frills game. I am putting this down to a one off you get from time to time even in what we hope will be a promotion campaign. We'll see how they react now after a defeat and a bad one at that.
  • Options
    Like against Exeter we started off as the better of the two teams although this time the difference was less pronounced. Our passing game will see off teams that are long ball and physique, but it seems that we quickly foget about it and start to react to being closed down by just lumping the ball. Can't disagree that we should have brought of McCleod and Sodje at halftime and bow to the greater knowledge of those complainiong about a lack of plan B. Howebver for those claiming Rob Elliot for England, your calls are premature. Sitting so close to him that he could have been sittiong on my lap, not once did I hear a call from him, no call to Llera for the OG. That does not exonerate Llera who should have looked before he headed the ball, he had time.

Burton had his 2nd poor game in a row, the cushioned holding up of the ball seems to have gone.

Classic moment of the match, Lisbie's wild miss for what would have been their 4th.

Typical Charlton though, we could well go up to Leeds and win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not going to get too excited about this. Let's put it down to a bad day - the lad up front for them (Odejayi) was excellent last night and we couldn't deal with him. LLera was terrible and some of the others weren't much better. However, if we get a result at Leeds on Saturday and I don't see why we can't then this will be soon forgotten. We have still had a terrific start and we all knew that there would be bad days.
  • Options
    shocking 2nd half right up there with some of last season.

Too many players not on their game but we were the better team until the OG.

Dont know why parky waited until he did to make the subs.

Just knew/it was going to be a bad night when it took so long to park and even longer to get out.

Hi to kap, swisdm and brunello. Glad im in liecester sq for the rest of the week so wont depress myself further on here.

Lll&bh
  • Options
    Bizarelly we played some good expansive football at times, numerous times we got to the byline and crossed the ball back. Players went missing all too often in midfield, Jonjo looks tired, Bailey at times looked isolated, first half we tried so many times to work the ball through Sam but time and time again we failed. From a good performance at the weekend Lisbie gave Youga a tireless evening. Lets hope Lleras performance was a just a bad day at the office, but he seemed to go to pieces in the first half, unfortunate with the goal but this was compounded by awful distribution and woeful clearing headers at a time when we just needed to get our foot on the ball.

Colchester, battled hard and have their height and strength to thank for this result (along with the 2 goals we gifted them!)
  • Options
    Bad day at the office. If someone had offered me 7-2-1 after 10 games in August I would have taken that. Not the end of the world and Lllera didn't deserve the 'Who's the wanker in the hat' song being sung by Charlton fans just before he was taken off. Yes he had a very poor match but that was totally out of order, IMHO.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]All games are won in the middle of the park, our much heralded midfield was a complete 'NO SHOW' last night. No point in playing five across the middle if you are not going to battle for the ball. As for the creative side of the midfield again non existant last night, their keeper made one save at the end.

The less said about our defensive mistakes the better. Colchester worked hard played a no frills game. I am putting this down to a one off you get from time to time even in what we hope will be a promotion campaign. We'll see how they react now after a defeat and a bad one at that.

nail on head for me

if Semedo's not fit for Saturday then I feel for the loyal Addickted who are making the trip up there as it won't be much fun
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I hate Boothroyd teams - effective but fuck me is it ugly! All he has is 2 jumbolumps at the back and two more up front and we seem incapable of bettering it. The pitch was very thin and short which suited their style too
    Whenever we got it we smacked it to Burton who lost it in the air
    neither midfield got into the game as the ball bypassed them aerially

Llera was dreadful
    Elliott had a poor game
    Shelvey was ineffective as the ball was nowhere near him
    Spring offered as much protection as a blancmange

I hope it was just a blip and the wake up call we needed as not performed well for a few weeks now

special mention to Kemi Izzet for excellent portrayal of wind-up merchant as was always in the thick of any aggro giving his tuppence worth to the shocking ref

Not much more to add than this really.
    Only consolation is from reading reports Leeds didn't play at all well either although they didn't lose.
  • Options
    well we were never going to go the whole season undefeated.but to lose to colchester is only be a coincidence that they are in the top half of the table and we'll probably bounce back on saturday and it won't mean anything anyway as we will still be in the promotion spot and we are lucky to still have parky.
  • Options
    Wasn't there, so am only going on what others have said. We desperately need Semedo back (or a tougher alternative than Spring in the holding role - perhaps Basey or Solly?), and should give Sodje a start.

It had all been a bit too easy up to now - there was always going to be a wake-up call. As McMoist says, let's keep the overall picture in mind and not panic.

At least Lisbie didn't score....:-(
  • Options
    WHOOPS.........
    Just seen the goals for the 1st time.

At least no-ones to blame for the 2nd...........
  • Options
    wasnt at the game listened to it at work on the radio spoke to north stand steve who was at game he said it was shocking ,Llera apparently was awful nothing has changed with him then, i said it after a couple of games he wasnt any good slow clumsy and looks a proper prat in that stupid hat he is a liability and i said it would happen he is gonna cost us ,him and elliot dont seem to have any communication at all ,but the worrying thing is our bench looked so weak , we have had a good start but we need to get tough cos we are gonna have plenty of games like this when teams are gonna try and bully us you have got to earn the right to play football and without semedo in the middle we lack battling qualities which we need to address.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He might look 'a proper prat' in that stupid hat, but it beats him having to go off for treatment every ten minutes as his wound has opened up.
  • Options
    Crikey do I feel rough after going to this one
    I am not going to lose sleep over this performance.
    These blips will always happen.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]He might look 'a proper prat' in that stupid hat, but it beats him having to go off for treatment every ten minutes as his wound has opened up.[/quote]
    how does his wound open up he cant head the feckin ball.
  • Options
    Looked ok till Les Liera's og and with the 2nd going so quickly, we looked shocked. Liera had no idea against the 2 lumps up front, and just totally lost his head.

Too many off nights, but if someone had told me we would have 23 points after 10 games, i would have more than taken that. Here's hoping for 17 points plus in the next 10.

Here's hoping Semedo is fit for saturday and Sodje gets a game. The only 2 changes i would make. (Spring and Liera out)
  • Options
    Not much to add, except............

What a God awful place to get to. With all the traffic around the ground, I was expecting a 60,000 crowd - I just dumped the car on a verge in the end and missed the first 15 minutes - I reckon at least 30% of the crowd missed kick off. With vast areas of brownfield land around the ground, why the hell couldn't they be used for car parking? It ain't rocket science.

The police cordon by the coaches after the game was hilarious. We just walked in between the last two coaches, around the back and appeared behind the cordon.

The only good point was because I dumped the car close to the ground I was on the A12 within five minutes - only to find those wonderful people at the Highways Agency had decided to close the A12 so they could watch some pretty flashing lights on their bollards, whilst eveyone else had to take a 5 mile detour. Bless them.
  • Options
    Agree with most of the above. No-one out there performed to the best of their ability. My current favourite, Racon looked out of sorts in the pre match warm up - head down, looking depressed even ! And that didn't improve during the game...No red boots either and where was Rob's "successful" tangerine strip ? ( Trust a woman to dwell on such things, eh ! )

Felt sorry for Big Mig who completely lost the plot after the og but we should never ridicule our own. JMOOC

Just feeling a tad worried that we've only picked up 5 points from the last available 12 & hoping our bubble hasn't burst.

A lot of hard work from both players & management is required before the trip to Leeds and like others, I'm fervently hoping that Semedo is fit . I'l be there to give my support whoever wears the shirt.

Matty Holland was sitting at the back of the stand with his sons & looking concerned about the performance. Wonder what his analysis would be of the current squad ? Definitely not enough punch up front and a very lightweight bench ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Parky[/cite]"It's a night where three individual mistakes have cost us,” he said. "Even in the first half, we had four or five chances to come in at half-time ahead but the two mistakes cost us.

"Obviously the third goal gave them an incredible lift when we genuinely felt at half-time that if we kept getting the ball down and switching the play as we had been doing, then we would create chances and score.

"It was just one of those nights where three mistakes have cost us. But I can't fault the boys because they have been tremendous this season. We will regroup in training and will go again."

He continued: "We could have done things better tonight and we are disappointed, but the last time I came to Colchester with Hull City we were beaten 5-1 and I stood outside and was devastated.

"I don't feel like that tonight because 3-0 totally flattered Colchester. Credit to them, because they will be delighted tonight, but it wasn't a 3-0 result. These things happen in football, you get those results, and you must bounce back from it.

"I said to the players it was not a day for ranting and raving in dressing room. They are as disappointed as I am, but it was just a case that it wasn't to be on the night.

"We made it easy for Colchester in certain areas, but we've done great this season and we will get back in the groove on Saturday.”

With this in mind, Parkinson insisted he wouldn't press the panic button after a first reverse of the season, in the season's 10th game.

And he said the Addicks will get their own house in order before worrying about their rivals in the division.

"Leeds drew tonight but we are not looking at other teams,” the gaffer added. "Ten games have gone this season so it's still early.

"We will be looking to improve on how we defended tonight and we will do that, and come out fighting at Leeds. It's a big game and the lads are already looking forward to it.

"I can't say tonight that it was because we had one eye on Leeds as I thought we did well in the first half. The third goal really killed it for us and it was a step too far for us to come back from it.

"One loss in 10 games, seven wins, two draws and one defeat, that's not been a bad run has it?” asked Parkinson when further quizzed about the result.

"We have to be careful not to overreact. In the first half when we got the ball down we had some great openings.

"Apart from set-plays, Colchester weren't really threatening us. Then we made one mistake which gave them a goal, and made another one shortly afterwards.

"That's football, but I won't overreact after one performance but i'm sure people on Charlton Life will”
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]WHOOPS.........

MOG, im not sure if the last comment is sarcastic but for their 2nd, Llera got out-muscled, out-paced and out-classed by a simple ball over the top.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]

MOG, im not sure if the last comment is sarcastic but for their 2nd, Llera got out-muscled, out-paced and out-classed by a simple ball over the top.
    Spot on, saw the goals on SSN this morning and I said to my son that, defensively, I've never seen three worse goals coneded.

I didn't go so my comments are limited to reading the thoughts of others. I'd like to think last night was just 'one of those nights' but worryingly it seems it was simply a continuation of Saturday. Whatever was wrong on Saturday - players who had a bad game, tactics that didn't work, subs not being made, being found out etc, - got worse last night.

We need a bit of a lift or a change round and quick, before rot sets in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]

Kind of............
    The commentaters said that the 1st & 3rd were BAD mistakes,and maybe Llera should have done better for the 2nd...