Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ukraine v England only live on the internet !!

13»

Comments

• Options
    It's all very well sitting in front of a computer watching England games on the internet like some billy no-mates loser but that surely isn't the real issue here. It's to do with access, the fact is national games in other European countries ARE protected. What about the thousands of people who don't have a computer? What about pensioners? Believe it or not the foundation of our broadcasting media is one of public access, that's something I think we as a nation have lost sight of. The very fact that our national team can only be watched in a World cup game by the very few who have the technology and are willing to pay for it is a complete disgrace.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]Not so much an explanation, but surely if the Government can state that World Cup Finals have to be on terrestrial, they can do the same with all away England games?

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7438763.stm[/url][/quote]

Interesting point, but I think the distinction is between determining how games are shown and whether they are shown at all.

If the Ukraine FA own the rights and can set their own price, it can't be right for the UK government to tell broadcasters (probably the BBC) they must pay whatever is asked.

The problem seems to be with the national associations controlling the rights in the first place, but I'd imagine that's a can of worms.[/quote]

I agree that it would be unfair for the government to tell broadcasters to pay whatever is asked....but equally if they can tell FIFA, WImbledon, the RFL et al that they must sell to terrestrial broadcasters then surely the government can say the same thing to whoever holds the rights to England away games. Quite frankly I'm surprised that the EU lets them get away with the 'protected list' idea in the first place seeing as it's obviously lessens the available competition for the rights, but if such a list exists why aren't all England games on it?
  • Options
    Theres plenty of websites to watch this for free....no point paying for it
  • Options
    Will be watching this down my local - it is on tv.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]It's all very well sitting in front of a computer watching England games on the internet like some billy no-mates loser but that surely isn't the real issue here. It's to do with access, the fact is national games in other European countries ARE protected. What about the thousands of people who don't have a computer? What about pensioners? Believe it or not the foundation of our broadcasting media is one of public access, that's something I think we as a nation have lost sight of. The very fact that our national team can only be watched in a World cup game by the very few who have the technology and are willing to pay for it is a complete disgrace.

And totally out of everyones hands, apart from the host nations FA. (Blame Ukraine)
  • Options
    Not on SC

And whatever you do dont use Channel 9 as one poster keeps whacking up

Trojan
  • Options
    Im watching it on Bet365. England are having a shocker.
  • Options
    http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch5.html

This link works
  • Options
    quote# 70
    http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch5.html

This link works
    cheers!
    well done mate..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mitvcanal

South American commentary!!!!
  • Options
    Capello out!
  • Options
    Parkinson in
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]
    Probably. 95% of French people only pay any attention when they get to the quarter finals.

Ha ha ha! Yes, true.

While your comment is funny I really don't see this as something to laugh about. England matches should be protected by law. End of.

This argument will only be settled when another national team restricts their match coverage to those who are in a position to see them on the basis of finance and ability to access appropriate technology. Only then will we be able to compare our access to our national game to others.

Well, to update, and in order to compare, France's match against The Faroes tonight WAS NOT SHOWN ON TV.

But Portugal v Hungary was.