Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Uncut's top 150 albums of the 21st Century

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]Avett Brothers album is called "I and Love and You" Best Sufjan album is probably "Come on Feel the Illinois" or something like that.

Illionoise

listen to him on Spotify and liking it. Only one Avett Bros track though.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You will never hear Sufjan music again....... Jimi Hendrix Third stone from the sun 1967..... Ho Ho!....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]All these lists are bound to start a "why is/isn't that on it" debate which is half the fun

Dabos, who do you think is missing?

For me no Richard Hawley, Joss Stone, Roddy Frame or Nick Lowe is strange.

Isis, Mastodon, Tool, The Mars Volta, Mogwai, Sigur Ros

But I'm not surprised they're not included here. Most of these I've listed aren't mainstream artists, but they've certainly produced fantastic albums in the 21st century that have influenced many other bands in their genres.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've got seventeen of those. I also have at least 100 albums in my collection that are better than anything else on that list.

And Dabos - at least ten albums from the artists you've listed would be included in that
  • Options
    Where's The Smiths in that list??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]And Dabos - at least ten albums from the artists you've listed would be included in that

Top man, Leroy.
  • Options
    Hmmm...I seem to fit their demographic.
    I own about 40 of these but it's fairly depressing to see so many 20th Century artists in a supposedly 21st Century list.

I'd probably have included
    Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
    Charlotte Gainsbourg - 5:55

and some other stuff that I can't bring to mind at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Where's The Smiths in that list??
    Not really a 21st Century band...
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    99 - Babyshambles Down in Albion

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

H-o-w o-n e-a-r-t-h d-i-d t-h-i-s s-h-i-t g-e-t i-n-c-l-u-d-e-d???
  • Options
    Henry said :

''I doubt there are any voters. The staff just make it all up.''

Exactly so. I'm contributing editor at the mag ( purely a consultancy role) and even I didn't get to vote !

I can confirm it is purely a vote by the current full-time salaried staff. The list doesn't even have that close a relationship to what Uncut thought of many of the records at the time of their release. The White Stripes and the Strokes albums that have made the top five were not partiuclarly favourably regarded by Uncut at the time of their release in 2001, but were raved about in the NME. Two prominent NME staffers have since then migrated to the Uncut staff and brought their votes with them.

I don't think it's a bad list at all, although my own would be quite different in many respects. But it's great that everybody has their own different choices of what should and should not have been included. To spark just such a debate was the very reason for doing the list in the first place,...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You need to read a better magazine Henry!
  • Options
    Great to see they use the grey beard condensing method. At the bottom some youth, but top of the hit parade all your dad's sixties faves. It's interesting to read and I did LMFAO when the Dad rockers banged in Ghostface Killah in the top 100; hip hop died after the first generation of Wu Tang albums.

Still it is an OK flick through, nice to see Nixontime in there. Only thing I have against it was that it immediately lost me when I saw shit-bore Ray Lemontage with trouble at 149. There is no excuse for that in the world let alone in a list, should never be mentioned again for good or bad it should be shit-binned under the next motorway building project.
  • Options
    I own 61 on the list. Actually a pretty good list. Although the subjective nature of these things make them pretty pointless. Pleased to see Richmond Fontaine, The Hold Steady and Drive By Truckers in there. Hi-light for me is number 64. Lift to Experience. Amazing album. Surprised it wasnt higher as the magazine absolutelyraved about it at the time. Assume that must be the changes in staff Nigel talked about.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Ghostface Killah in the top 100; hip hop died after the first generation of Wu Tang albums
    Did it? I guess all the incredible DefJux albums that have been released since then (Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, El-P etc), along with the Philly groups like Jedi Mind Tricks, all the NY rap (MF Grimm, MF Doom, Monsta Island Czars etc) and hundreds of others aren't worth thinking about, right?
  • Options
    Hmmm, so White Blood Cells is better than Elephant or Get Behind Me Satan.
    Only By the Night makes the list but Youth and Young Manhood Doesn’t.
    There’s plenty of room for old farts like Weller, Waits and Cale (all admittedly good in their day), but no space for Milburn, Maximo Park, Dandy Warhols or Hot Fuss by The Killers.
  • Options
    I really must be getting old:
    Haven't heard of 95% of these..........
  • Options
    Good list. Drive By Truckers, Yo La Tengo, Hold Steady, Vampire Weekend all worthy of greater exposure over here. Shame they missed the Mountain Goats. Not enough hip hop and probably not enough women - Aimee Mann, Lady Sovereign, Lily Allen, Lucinda Williams and a bunch of others have done great stuff in a variety of genres this decade.

Still, good enough to make me try out some of the stuff I haven't heard.
  • Options
    No Kaiser Chiefs ? That's a bit odd.
    I've got about 6 of them including one in the Top 10 which surprised me.
    Heathen? Pah! I got mugged into buying it as it was described as his best for 20 years, maybe it was but it was still crap!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    Heathen? Pah! I got mugged into buying it as it was described as his best for 20 years, maybe it was but it was still crap!

Me too Chirpy.
    I tried my best but the bloody thing is unlistenable.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    Did it? I guess all the incredible DefJux albums that have been released since then (Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, El-P etc), along with the Philly groups like Jedi Mind Tricks, all the NY rap (MF Grimm, MF Doom, Monsta Island Czars etc) and hundreds of others aren't worth thinking about, right?[/quote]

It was a bit tongue in cheek Leroy, and there are a few I like, peanut butter wolf, Madlib and Jay Dilla. But frankly after the first Wu Tang generation hip hop became very tiresome and although there's been a few things it's been in an anal phase for too long. Most have lost the fun and the funk and Company Flow are the tip of that I can take; boring syncopated beats with pathetic sonic loops with Timbaland being just the King of god awful. Personal oppinion but I haven't heard anything that absolutely blew me away in hip hop since 36 Chambers when I heard it in '94. There's been some concept albums like Deltron but no better than mid 90's Hieros.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    Did it? I guess all the incredible DefJux albums that have been released since then (Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, El-P etc), along with the Philly groups like Jedi Mind Tricks, all the NY rap (MF Grimm, MF Doom, Monsta Island Czars etc) and hundreds of others aren't worth thinking about, right?

It was a bit tongue in cheek Leroy, and there are a few I like, peanut butter wolf, Madlib and Jay Dilla. But frankly after the first Wu Tang generation hip hop became very tiresome and although there's been a few things it's been in an anal phase for too long. Most have lost the fun and the funk and Company Flow are the tip of that I can take; boring syncopated beats with pathetic sonic loops with Timbaland being just the King of god awful. Personal oppinion but I haven't heard anything that absolutely blew me away in hip hop since 36 Chambers when I heard it in '94. There's been some concept albums like Deltron but no better than mid 90's Hieros.
    LOL. I knew you were going to come back on here and say that you meant mainstream hip-hop was shit :o)

You are, of course, quite right. All that Hype Williams/Jay-Z/Timbaland crap makes my shit itch - I hate mainstream hip-hop, and everything it stands for. Underground hip-hop is just as awesome as it was in the early nineties.

Seriously - JMT are absolutely, unspeakably f***ing awesome, along with mostly everything on DefJux. The number of truly classic hip-hop albums though has definitely dropped to a trickle in the last six or seven years.
  • Options
    LOL couldn't help it!
  • Options
    shit list
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]shit list
    A-men brotha. Got the new Paradise Lost yet?