Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Married life

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
As a newlywed, and pondering the way to the best/easiest way of life, I was wondering what gems of wisdom are out there on CL.

Would you prefer your good lady to come out with you (not on a saturday) for an ale when you're out with your pals e.g Mrs Boom out with me and fellas or should I suggest she goes home and does ironing and that. She's good value but at the end of the day she's a chick (thankfully) and not interested in footy, griffin etc.

So I guess the question is, would you prefer;

a) a missus that likes an ale and comes out with you and your pals (and therefore you get no grief), or
b) a missus that doesnt like an ale and doesnt come out with you (and gives you grief when you do go out but isn't present when you're trying to have a boys night out)

Clearly the best option is a wife/bird who stays at home but has absolutely no problem with you going out on the lash with your pals and turning up home at 6.00am..

ps currently eating spag bol (cooked by me) whilst said mrs is snoring like a banshee (after boozing me and another character).

Cheers

D

Comments

• Options
    I can't wait to here Offys wisdom on this one.

My missus is a c) - She lets me get on with having a beer with my mates but is partial to coming out if it suits her and me. She will get the hump if I don't turn up for an engagement that I said i would but other than that she'll generally just have the mild hump if I'm hungover.
  • Options
    in serious terms you probably want a bit of both.

You need mutual friends and those that are 'yours' a marriage where you are in each others pockets is just as bad as one where you never see one another.

Personally speaking there are times when the wife and I go out together and that is great, but i still enjoy a night out with friends/colleagues away from her (and the same goes for the wife).

As an additional piece of advice I would recommend that you memorise the following three phrases as they will deal with virtually every situation you will come across in married life:

1. "I'm sorry I won't do it again"
    2. "I am just doing it now"
    3. "you don't look fat in that"

I have in 11 and a bit years of marriage yet to find a situation where one of those three does not apply.
  • Options
    ...don't get married in the first place, easier option all round and saves alot of grief in the long run
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited October 2009
    I'm extremely glad my missus understands Football. Although that said, she's a Stoke season ticket holder.

I have no problem with her coming to the Pub with me ,it just rarely happens!

Edit: Not actually married (yet) so will probably change my views about Pub outings in the future :-)
  • Options
    By far and away the number one piece of advice i can offer is to invent right from the outset, some form of hearing defficiency.

Do not limit it to just one ear, she will soon catch that one out. Little you have to do other than turn the television volume up to ridiculous levels on occassion, and randomly talk louder than you need to.

Its no big deal, but its a good cover for the thousands of times you will hear (or more pertinently, don't hear), "you're not even listening"
  • Options
    And there was me thinking what an example of married bliss you and Mrs Bartram looked sat in front of me in the East stand last night.

Although I noticed you didn't buy her a pie : - )
  • Options
    sorry mate, what did you say ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]By far and away the number one piece of advice i can offer is to invent right from the outset, some form of hearing defficiency.

Do not limit it to just one ear, she will soon catch that one out. Little you have to do other than turn the television volume up to ridiculous levels on occassion, and randomly talk louder than you need to.

Its no big deal, but its a good cover for the thousands of times you will hear (or more pertinently, don't hear), "you're not even listening"

Mate, you're so right. Luckily (or unluckily whatever way you look at it) I actually do have a hearing defect. It's not too serious, but it's enough to not properly hear half of what's said to me.
  • Options
    I find space is good, probably about 20 miles of it.
  • Options
    I think it is less a hearing issue and more one of teaching the wife that any pause of longer than one second constitutes the end of the conversation and a sign that you can go on doing whatever you were doing before you she interupted you to talk about some obscure relative who has just had some kind of emotional crisis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dont treat her as 'the enemy' like a lot of blokes do. Mrs Bib is funny as hell and we do most things together, she comes to footy now and again but mostly when I go footy she goes to Bluewater with her mates. She's also the most beautiful girl in the world which helps!!
    And she never looks at CL....honest ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]...don't get married in the first place, easier option all round and saves alot of grief in the long run

Agreed...Just stay single and then flush £000's down the toilet to avoid any future hassle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]I find space is good, probably about 20 miles of it.

I'd go with that. It's usually sufficient to get to a shopping centre. She then spends the same amount that you spent on ales, travel and match tickets in the preceeding week. You can then pass the evening together engaged in meaningful conversation about where the money's gone and who wasted it the most. Unless Strictly Come Dancing is on of course, in which case meaningful conversation has to fit into the space between end of SCD and start of MOTD.
  • Options
    You need to sort that out BEFORE you get married Boom, too late now.

The trick is to marry someone you actually like (not just fancy/lust over), someone who has similar views and interests, and who takes you as they find you.

Don't understand Kigellas "in each others pockets" statement, might have been the case for a previous relationship of yours old son, but it works for me.

The number of married people I meet who don't even appear to like each other is amazing.
  • Options
    Marriage is about give and take.

The trick is making sure you (and her) are happy with the balance.
  • Options
    The trick is finding things you like to do together and things you can do apart. Each has their own space. My Mrs has been to the Valley and saw us at Upton Park-- she hasnt been for ages if she wanted to go id take her.
  • Options
    find three of their most annoying habits and learn to ignore it, no one is perfect and everyone has their own annoying habits.
    Give and take is the name of the game.
    Remember marriage is a partnership and no one person is in charge.
    I should know ive had to put up with being married to a WestHam fan for the last 19 years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Debbie[/cite]find three of their most annoying habits and learn to ignore it,

Its a shame i never married you Debbie, my 3 worst habits are sleeping around, getting drunkenly violent, and worst of all, deliberately rubbing chocolate into the sofa :-)

Apart from that, i'm a dream to live with....
  • Options
    I bet you are, least i could tell you off for leaving the toilet seat up !
  • Options
    Let me just put you straight on option a, the bit where you say you get no grief this is true providing you follow these simple rules;

1. refuse to talk to any of the fairer sex. ( you were chatting her up )

2. wear dark glasses ( then the eyes cant wander)

3. only be served by barmen. ( you were chatting her up )

4. dont talk to your'e mates ( you just ignore me all night)

5. stick to two pints ( how many is that )

6. don't put your arm around her in the pub ( your'e pissed)

7. don't stop for a kebab on the way home ( my cookings not good enough then)

and im sure some of the longer married among us can add some more....

maybe im just being cynical, though i have been married 29 years on and off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]The trick is to marry someone you actually like (not just fancy/lust over), someone who has similar views and interests, and who takes you as they find you.
    That, right there, is the single best piece of advice I've ever seen on here. I've been married nine and a half years. Me and my wife have had our ups and downs, and even split up for a while earlier this year, but we share so much in common (like the same music, the same food, the same films/TV, doing the same things etc) that the relationship is on much more solid ground than just one where you fancy each other.

The most important thing is to realise that marriage involves a bit of give and a bit of take. My wife will come out with me every now and then, but most of the time when I'm on the p*** she just leaves me to get on with it. By the same rationale, I would never dream of not pitching up at a family event (niece/nephew's birthday, christening, first communion etc) just because I was larging it the night before.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]You need to sort that out BEFORE you get married Boom, too late now.

The trick is to marry someone you actually like (not just fancy/lust over), someone who has similar views and interests, and who takes you as they find you.

And if she's got big tits it's a bonus
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

Buggered that then, thought I liked both previous Mrs L`s the second even came fishing to France for the week! Good job we parted....NOT!!

The third possible............na not getting married again.....doesnt like footy and wont come doesnt like my boys toys (cars that is) and doesnt like fishing!!
    Best get my bags packed now then Algarveaddick??

ps she even nicked the laptop lastnight halfway through the match commentary! what am I doing??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: revellinit[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

Buggered that then, thought I liked both previous Mrs L`s the second even came fishing to France for the week! Good job we parted....NOT!!

The third possible............na not getting married again.....doesnt like footy and wont come doesnt like my boys toys (cars that is) and doesnt like fishing!!
    Best get my bags packed now then Algarveaddick??

ps she even nicked the laptop lastnight halfway through the match commentary! what am I doing??

I would be off like a robbers dog mate...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]You need to sort that out BEFORE you get married Boom, too late now.

And if she's got big tits it's a bonus

You have met the wife then DaveM!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]I can't wait to here Offys wisdom on this one.
  • Options
    Never underestimate the power of "Yes dear"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Never underestimate the power of "Yes dear"

Or the lack of trust in the statement "fair point, i'll do that tomorrow"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Debbie[/cite]find three of their most annoying habits and learn to ignore it,

Its a shame i never married you Debbie, my 3 worst habits are sleeping around, getting drunkenly violent, and worst of all, deliberately rubbing chocolate into the sofa :-)

Apart from that, i'm a dream to live with....

Brilliant!!
  • Options
    Reading some of these comments I am not sure how many people are being serious on here. Some very interesting advice.

I'll wager some/most of these responses would be much different if typed out in front of their respective Wives !