Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SEX PISTOLS.........

Live at Brixton Academy on "Anytime" & SkyArts 1 on Saturday night.
I'm 19 Again !!

Comments

• Options
    Me too.....Brilliant band...'ever get the feeling you've been had'?
  • Options
    Watching it in "HD".............
    Brilliant intro to "Holidays........"
  • Options
    A couple of police cars with sirens and lights just gone past..........
    I'm definetly back there !!
  • Options
    I went to that directly after we beat Cardiff a few years back. Great night.
  • Options
    Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?
  • Options
    I was there. Four of us went, two walked home and two limped with twisted knees and legs proving that pogoing is for the slim or at least those under 15 stone.
  • Options
    I can appreciate the hype and importance of it at the time, and maybe even Anarchy In The UK as a song, but too me, it's a load of old tosh lines, but then again, maybe that was the point?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I can appreciate the hype and importance of it at the time, and maybe even Anarchy In The UK as a song, but too me, it's a load of old tosh lines, but then again, maybe that was the point?

Yes, it was the point to a certain extent.

No, you didn't need a 20 foot amp tower or to have studied every one of Clapton's guitar licks. Nor did you have to have 30 minute songs about wizards or stairways to heaven.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I can appreciate the hype and importance of it at the time, and maybe even Anarchy In The UK as a song, but too me, it's a load of old tosh lines, but then again, maybe that was the point?
    Yup, I'm with this. They were no Dolls, Ramones or Clash that changed the face of music. A boy-band that was marketed better than anything before or since, for me.
  • Options
    10 posts about The Sex Pistols...amazing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Live at Brixton Academy on "Anytime" & SkyArts 1 on Saturday night.
    I'm 19 Again !![/quote]

Not 19 and Mad??
    OK I know its Slaughter and the Dogs but couldn't resist.
  • Options
    "Where have all the bootboys gone ?"
    ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Some get married and settle down

Others they move to a foreign land...."

God that is me, although I was never much of a bootboy!
  • Options
    Punks...Mods with their brains kicked out!
  • Options
    Yeah right SoundAs..............
    You stick with your Scouse pop writing buddies............
  • Options
    "I am the Yellow Walrus Submarine in Strawberry Lanes barbars shop" indeed !
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I always rather liked the Pistols especially God save the Queen which still sounds as though they meant it. A bit ;-)
    Mclaren did market them very well tho and Bill Grundy did them a huge favour.
    It all seems a bit panto now but god save does capture that angry kids in a garage sound that I still find appealing even now :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    Yup, I'm with this. They were no Dolls, Ramones or Clash that changed the face of music. A boy-band that was marketed better than anything before or since, for me.

Three brilliant bands that may not have made it in to your musical knowledge if the Pistols had not been out there gigging. Check the crowds that gathered for NYD and Ramones gigs before Punk exploded. Please do not try and say that Punk was invented in America, the word is American but the musical style that we now call Punk certainly has its roots in Lydon's style and Matlock's tunes.

ps Would Woody (Joe Strummer) have changed his name and left the 101's to join a Mott The Hoople inspired band?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Chelsea Chelsea
    Chelsea Chelsea

You're full of s**t, s**t, s**t s**t s**t!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L23I1xi7uR0
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]

Three brilliant bands that may not have made it in to your musical knowledge if the Pistols had not been out there gigging. Check the crowds that gathered for NYD and Ramones gigs before Punk exploded. Please do not try and say that Punk was invented in America, the word is American but the musical style that we now call Punk certainly has its roots in Lydon's style and Matlock's tunes.

ps Would Woody (Joe Strummer) have changed his name and left the 101's to join a Mott The Hoople inspired band?

The word gigging and Sex Pistols don't exactly mix do they?!!?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry Irving in anti-Led Zep yawn.
  • Options
    Henry Irving in anti-Led Zep yawn......
    Yes I noticed that reference before, and although the band did rip off the delta blues songbook they did acknowledge it albeit laterly.

Hate to mention it but I will...... when i interviewed the pistols at EMI they said there favourite band was the faces, as in Rod Stewart....... And did not PIL use Kashmir as a sample in one of there songs...... So I guess they all borrowed wether they knew it or not.

Always happy to introduce young Henry to a couple of friends of mine Paul Rose and Keith Oliver if he wants a lesson or two.

http://www.paulrose.co.uk/
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with The Faces. Great band, great songs and wish I'd seen them live. And I love Rod as well. Maybe the best blues/soul singer this country every produced. Shame about everything he did after Atlantic Crossing but there you go. You only have to listen to the Pistols and the Clash to hear that they grew up listening to Mick Ronson, Ronnie Wood and Steve Marriott.

And I love blues music from Memphis Minnie and Robert Johnson to Free via Jimi, the Stones and The Band.

What I don't like is over indulgent cod mystical metal with 30 minute drum solos which rips off black musicians without even given them a credit (no point doing it years and years later). Led Zepp lost it completely as a blues band after the first album and just got more and more indulgent and were then indulged. I really tried to like them in the early 70s as you were meant to but I just couldn't do it. Thank heavens for Lou Reed, Glen Matlock and Paul Weller.
  • Options
    Saw Rod and the Faces at Lewisham Odeon. Great, great band. I listen to them and Rod's first four albums to this day. Maybe I'm so open minded my brain's fallen out but I also love the Pistols (my era), although preferred the Clash, and I always liked Led Zep too. The trick with them is to ignore the lyrics and skip the drum solo.
  • Options
    Nods as good as a wink is a great album ronnie wood's playing is great on that, his best inmho.
    And a couple of great songs from ronnie lane in there too.
    The faces and early rod had attitude ;-)
  • Options
    Ha ha - Henry Irving in second "I don't like Led Zeppelin" reference in one thread - about a band that isn't Led Zeppelin.

I'll be thinking of you when the Kashmir sample comes on pre-match today Henry!

;o)
  • Options
    Agree with you about Zep loosing it, but probably after the third album. Apparently according to the 'Hammer of the gods' Beck claims that half of zep 1 was for the new Yardbirds that Jimi shall we say 'borrowed' . Yes I loved Rod as well up till Atlantic crossing and he went all soppy with Britt.... However I feel that Paul Rodgers runs rings around both Plant and Rodders, but Stewart was on the same sesssion circuit as Pagey, and Jones. At that time Pagey was 'the session musician' along with big Jim Sullivan. At least that is the way most commentators see it..... I think if any one 'lost it' it was poor old Stevie Marriott a bit like Paul Kossoff..... very sad. Only a view, and a personnal one at that. Never been into metal personally. And like you into Johnson, Hendrix and Gallagher as I thought they were original .
  • Options
    Kashmir playing now - just for Our 'Enry!
  • Options
    i heard it. Thankfully only played for About 30 seconds. ; - )

Off it for me Led Zep are just short hand for all those bands like purple, floyd, genesis, elp and Yes. Just cant take plant's screaming. That why Rod and yes Paul rodgers are so much better soulful singers. Although rodgers has sold his soul with his current gig with the truely worst band of the lot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]i heard it. Thankfully only played for About 30 seconds. ; - )

Off it for me Led Zep are just short hand for all those bands like purple, floyd, genesis, elp and Yes. Just cant take plant's screaming. That why Rod and yes Paul rodgers are so much better soulful singers. Although rodgers has sold his soul with his current gig with the truely worst band of the lot.

You couldn't take Plants screaming yet could take the Pistol doing the self same thing only doing it out of tune and with about as much collective musical talent as a chimp!