Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil 'the Power' Taylor

An absolute genius in his field.

Last night he won yet another title. So far in 2009, he's won every single major darts tournament. The World Championship, Players Championship, UK Open, Las Vegas Desert Classic, World Matchplay and World Grand Prix. For one man to be so dominant in a sport which with bigger sponsorships and prize money has become much more competitive than it ever used to be is an outstanding achievement.

Comments

• Options
    "sport".

;-)
  • Options
    can't knock his achievements or the fact that he's the greatest darts player ever................

.........but I absolutely cannot stand the bloke and don't really know why ?!?!, just one of those people that really gets on my nerves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]can't knock his achievements or the fact that he's the greatest darts player ever................

.........but I absolutely cannot stand the bloke and don't really know why ?!?!, just one of those people that really gets on my nerves.

With you there Eltham - the man really iritates me and I don't really know why.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]can't knock his achievements or the fact that he's the greatest darts player ever................

With you there Eltham - the man really iritates me and I don't really know why.

Because we generally as a nation like losers. Step forward Eddie the Eagle, Frank Bruno, Tim Henman
  • Options
    nothing to do with that, I just think he's a pr*ck...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]nothing to do with that, I just think he's a pr*ck...

You do know why then. ;-)

He can come across a little aloof. But most sportman at the top of the tree do. Perhaps its because they are focused on their game a bit to much to have anything else going on around them.
  • Options
    it's just a game for fat blokes, it ain't a sport! %-()>
  • Options
    can't put my finger on my irrational dislike of him....I'm sure others have similar thoughts of other famous faces
  • Options
    The bloke is untouchable at present. £839K in prize money in the last 2 years, with his nearest challenger (Van Barneveld) on £242k.
  • Options

I am friends with a former world champion dart player, and he cant stand Taylor, and he has told me some of the real stories of what he's like behind the scenes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's a very bad loser.
  • Options
    'show me a good loser and i'll show you a loser'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]He's a very bad loser.

There is no doubt he is an awesome player, but not very well liked (so I am told) by a lot of the other pro's.
  • Options
    Not very British I know, but sometimes it's better to be a disliked winner than a loved loser.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Not very British I know, but sometimes it's better to be a disliked winner than a loved loser.

Exactly, at the end of his career do you think Taylor will look back and wish he was a much loved winner of the odd title here and there, or a disliked greatest player that ever played the game with millions in the bank.
  • Options
    Wasn't it Kevin Painter who had a pop at him/

Have heard that he likes to eat lots of sprouts before a big match - parp!!
  • Options
    Can't stand him either + it ain't sport ! Pub game !
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    For me the irrational dislike of him stems from the fact he's referred to as a 'sportsman' and sees himself as such when, in terms of his build, shape and his lifestyle etc he's actually anything but.

How anyone can bracket a darts player with any sportsman is beyond me.
  • Options
    I went off him when he was on Soccer AM came across as a real creep & it put me off Hells Belles too as she was all over him. I like me arrows, although i don't class it as sport, but him i want to loose everytime!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]He's a very bad loser.[/quote]

There is no doubt he is an awesome player, but not very well liked (so I am told) by a lot of the other pro's.[/quote]

The other pros don't like him story was done to death about a year ago.

Most commentators were of the opinion that it was resentment. He wins just about every TV tournament and takes the prize money that goes with it.

I'm sure it was Kevin Painter who was spouting off saying that Taylor shouldn't be allowed to play in the minor tournaments as it would give other players a chance to pick up some of the cash on offer!!!! Absolute nonsense.

Taylor is an absolute genius. I can't see there ever being another player to match him. He deserves the wins he gets, it is on record that he practices 8-9 hours a day.

Far too many players are beaten before they walk on the stag when they play him.

He had a row with Chris Mason on stage. He refused to shake Mason's hand at the end and Mason tried to kick it off. Given that Mason had been banging down his glass, coughing, talking to the crowd and standing within about 5 inches of Taylor whist he was throwing, I'm not surprised. The only gamemenship Taylor indulges in is slowing his game down when his opponent hits a run of form.

As for bad loser......the majority of the top pros don't know how to loose. Barneveld acts like a spoilt child if things don't go his way, Painter carrys on like he is too good to loose and as for King & Lewis....don't go there. Wade seems the only one who is gracious in defeat.

Anyway, a Charlton Life beano to the Premier League night at Wembley would be a good night. Anyone fancy it?.

Went to 1/4 finals at the Circus Tavern with Rothko & Romford Addick a few years back and was a fine night of ale related carnage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I can't stand him either. I think you'll find most darts players hate him the way most golfers hate FIGJAM (Phil Mickelson)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]He's a very bad loser.

There is no doubt he is an awesome player, but not very well liked (so I am told) by a lot of the other pro's.

The other pros don't like him story was done to death about a year ago.

Most commentators were of the opinion that it was resentment. He wins just about every TV tournament and takes the prize money that goes with it.

I'm sure it was Kevin Painter who was spouting off saying that Taylor shouldn't be allowed to play in the minor tournaments as it would give other players a chance to pick up some of the cash on offer!!!! Absolute nonsense.

Taylor is an absolute genius. I can't see there ever being another player to match him. He deserves the wins he gets, it is on record that he practices 8-9 hours a day.

Far too many players are beaten before they walk on the stag when they play him.

He had a row with Chris Mason on stage. He refused to shake Mason's hand at the end and Mason tried to kick it off. Given that Mason had been banging down his glass, coughing, talking to the crowd and standing within about 5 inches of Taylor whist he was throwing, I'm not surprised. The only gamemenship Taylor indulges in is slowing his game down when his opponent hits a run of form.

As for bad loser......the majority of the top pros don't know how to loose. Barneveld acts like a spoilt child if things don't go his way, Painter carrys on like he is too good to loose and as for King & Lewis....don't go there. Wade seems the only one who is gracious in defeat.

Anyway, a Charlton Life beano to the Premier League night at Wembley would be a good night. Anyone fancy it?.

Went to 1/4 finals at the Circus Tavern with Rothko & Romford Addick a few years back and was a fine night of ale related carnage.

It's nothing t do with Taylor winning everything (the guy I know is a former world champion and knows what its like at the top) he just said generally Taylor is an obnoxious git away from the media and rubs people up the wrong way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Anyway, a Charlton Life beano to the Premier League night at Wembley would be a good night. Anyone fancy it?.

i think that its on at the o2 in february
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Anyway, a Charlton Life beano to the Premier League night at Wembley would be a good night. Anyone fancy it?.

i think that its on at the o2 in february

I think you are right........
  • Options
    he's mates with Robbie Williams

enough said
  • Options
    Regardless of what the fella is like as a person, he is the best darts player to ever walk the planet. He comes across as arrogant because he wins everything and is constantly telling other pro's they need to practice more and up their game if they want to beat him. Which is fair and if I was a fellow pro I'd not take too kindly to someone doing that.

Then I would slide off and practice, practice and practice a bit more to beat him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]'show me a good loser and i'll show you a loser'

Complete bullshit, that saying drives me up the wall, horrible Yank attitude.

There have been plenty of absolute champions in a whole range of sports who were able to win and lose with equanimity, its only the spoilt brats who behave badly when they lose.

As Sir John Cobbold said to Bobby Robson when they were at Ipswich, "We must accept losing occasionally Bobby, it gives other people the joy of victory."
  • Options
    abosolute legend! greatest darts player eva and still going on so strong, i cant think of any other sportsman who has been at the top for so long

as for ppl that dont like him, cant really see it myself he comes across as down to earth. Yes he doesnt like to lose, but thats why he wins so much and no-one likes to lose(certainly i dont!)

as for night out watching the premier league, i would be interested in that as seems like its quite a laugh. never been to darts before but looks like a good piss up lol
  • Options
    Go me O2 tickets for Feb last week!
  • Options
    Got two 9 darters tonight in the final plus a 10 darter!

Unreal.