Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Spotify

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
Anybody else on it?

I've only just signed up - and it's brilliant. Best thing to hit music since they invented the technology that meant you no longer had to keep winding up the gramophone!

As one of the friends who put me on to it says:

1.The need for a very big record/cd collection is dead

2.Down loading files legally or illegally is dead

3.Having the wide world of music at your finger tips is alive

Absolutely amazing, couldn't be easier to use and a library of literally millions of songs. I'm sure all you clever chaps have been on it for months. But as a latecomer, my mind is well and truly boggled by how great it is...

Comments

• Options
    It is indeed the mutts nuts
  • Options
    I'm on Spotify too and yes it's great but on recommending it to friends they tell me there's now a waiting list--I assume that's now gone?
  • Options
    unfortunately, due to my unusual taste in music, 99% of the bands i love arent on it :(
  • Options
    Is the iPhone app for it any good? I listen to music on the go a lot more than at home.
  • Options
    I think Ollie (MCS) told us about it on here months ago, and I signed up back then.

It's handy but not exhaustive in choice of tracks ...... many of the biggest bands' most famous songs are missing, or just cover versions in their place. And of course, it's mostly the best known music that's otherwise available so you won't find much from less popular bands.

Another issue I had was when I log into the my work server ...... because you can only access Spotify by streaming, it places heavy demands on the server, and slows everybody elses internet access, etc.

So you might not be popular at work if they discover it's you slowing down the system.

But having said that, as most of us use the their free service (not the premium), it's brilliant for free listening.
    Like having radio without inane and banal DJ verbals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Is the iPhone app for it any good? I listen to music on the go a lot more than at home.

Yes, love it. Offline mode, so you can download tracks to your iPhone and play them even when you have no/limited signal. Use it more than the iPod function
  • Options
    Oggy said: ''It's handy but not exhaustive in choice of tracks ...... many of the biggest bands' most famous songs are missing, or just cover versions in their place. And of course, it's mostly the best known music that's otherwise available so you won't find much from less popular bands.''

Think you'd be surprised , Oggy - they're adding thousands of tracks per day, I think, and even the free service, let alone the premium one, now has quite literally millions of tracks. Tyoed in Bob Dylan and there are 930 of 'em, including live recordings, covers and even a few bootleg tracks...

But there's more obscure stuff, too. I fancied hearing a weird piece of electronica I used to enjoy listening to while partaking of nefarious substances in the early 1970s called A Rainbow In Curved Air by the minimalist composer Terry Riley. Tapped it into the search field and there it is - all 18 mins 39 secs of it. I'm listening to it now and enjoying the trip back in time(If you get my meaning)...

Finally, in answer to dwb, yes unless you subscribe to the premium service there is a waiting list and it's described as ''very long''. I'm afraid I pulled a few strings and jumped the queue!
  • Options
    Joined spotify a long while ago now, i think late last year and although it isn't exhaustive it is simply excellent, well worth going on a waiting list.
  • Options
    Funny you should mention Spotify...
    On the way home from work tonight I heard part of a song on local radio that stuck in my brain.
    Needless to say the DJ didn't announce the title or artist like they used to.
    So..I googled a snatch of the lyrics that I remembered and, hey presto, I was able to identify "Getting Away With It" by Electronic.
    Switch to Spotify and I am listening to the song as I type!
    The wonders of modern technology!
  • Options
    ok, you sucked me in and i have just signed up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]Is the iPhone app for it any good? I listen to music on the go a lot more than at home.

Yes, love it. Offline mode, so you can download tracks to your iPhone and play them even when you have no/limited signal. Use it more than the iPod function

got to agree , only had it a few days and there is so many things to put on for the offline mode it's disturbing.

very surprised that apple allowed it onto the app store as it could kill the need for itunes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Oggy said: ''It's handy but not exhaustive in choice of tracks ...... many of the biggest bands' most famous songs are missing, or just cover versions in their place. And of course, it's mostly the best known music that's otherwise available so you won't find much from less popular bands.''

Think you'd be surprised , Oggy - they're adding thousands of tracks per day, I think, and even the free service, let alone the premium one, now has quite literally millions of tracks. Tyoed in Bob Dylan and there are 930 of 'em, including live recordings, covers and even a few bootleg tracks...

But there's more obscure stuff, too. I fancied hearing a weird piece of electronica I used to enjoy listening to while partaking of nefarious substances in the early 1970s called A Rainbow In Curved Air by the minimalist composer Terry Riley. Tapped it into the search field and there it is - all 18 mins 39 secs of it. I'm listening to it now and enjoying the trip back in time(If you get my meaning)...

Finally, in answer to dwb, yes unless you subscribe to the premium service there is a waiting list and it's described as ''very long''. I'm afraid I pulled a few strings and jumped the queue!

Hi Nigel, I was only quoting from my own experience as a free user, but if it's being added too regularly then I fully take on board what you say.
  • Options

I don't have iPhone but didn't realise there was now a download application for iPod.
    Rather than be restricted to streaming, that really does open it up!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

I don't have iPhone but didn't realise there was now a download application for iPod.

Hi Oggy,
    Where do I find that mate and I can I download to a mp3 player?
  • Options
    It's good for when you want to find a particular track. The streaming quality is not brilliant, but perfectly acceptable. The ads on the fre version can be annoying, but then again so are the ads on commercial radio. It's not exhaustive and some of the obscure stuff I like isn't on it. Call me old fashioned but I like to own a CD or LP, at least you can show what you've paid for, unlike downloads that are invisible!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Hi Oggy,
    Where do I find that mate and I can I download to a mp3 player?

Hi T.C.E,
    I don't know myself, mate .....not got round to looking for it yet, just picking up Medder's post.

Perhaps Medders or one of the young guns who know all the cutting edge stuff can help ....?
  • Options
    Am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's only available on iPhones or devices running Android...
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wanted to test myself and retry led zepp but they arent on it.

RE:Dylan funnily I was looking for Dylan' s I threw it all away today and couldn't find it. There may be 700 odd tracks listed under Bob Dylan but not much actual Bob Dylan. Mostly cover versions and compilations.

Agree with oggy and bdl. Lots of gaps but it is a great resource.

I've given up on buying CDs/Vinyl but I prefer to still download music so I have it on my ipod.

I do like the biogs of acts.
  • Options
    I've been on it for over 6 months now but loads of friends I told about it are on the waiting list. Does anyone know how that list works? Is it dead men's shoes like the MCC? And how long are they likely to have to wait?
  • Options
    You cant multitask with the iphone version which is useless, where as you can with android.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ''funnily I was looking for Dylan' s I threw it all away today and couldn't find it.''

Yes, Dylan/Columbia haven't done a deal with Spotifty yet. Nor have Led Zep/Atlantic, Pink Floyd/EMI or the Beatles/EMI and a few others. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

But the beauty of Spotify from the point of view of a Dylan obsessive is that most of the rarities are there. The tracks, for example, he contributed to tribute albums to Hank Willliams and Jimmie Rodgers - which you wouldn't necessarily want to buy for one track. Or the tracks he recorded in 1963 under the pseudonym Blind Boy Grunt...all listed as essential rarities in mky book, the Rough Guide to Bob Dylan (shameless plug).

Spotify is particularly great on classical music, BTW. My wife was just looking at Schubert and Beethoven - 10,000 recordings listed of the former and 19,000 of the latter. She's just been playing me the opening bars of the 5th symphony on five or six different recordings and explaining to me how, although the piece of music itself is so familar, each recording under a different conductor and with a different orchestra is quite different in character. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't just heard it with my own ears. Quite fascinating...
  • Options
    Been using it for a few months and it's an excellent service.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    Anyone got any invites they could spare?
  • Options
    Ive been signed up since it was launched and its pretty good. Once the likes of Pink Floyd etc are signed up, then it will be excellent. Yesterday, I was surprised when I did a search for "Seasick Steve" and 46 tracks came up....and Paloma Faith a similiar number....long may it continue
  • Options
    it seems like they've changed their policy, it's by invite only, if you want it for free. any nice people out there, who might like to send me an invite, i'd be eternally grateful, and of course you'd automatically go to heaven / hell depending on your preference.

martinvallis@talktalk.net
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]it seems like they've changed their policy, it's by invite only, if you want it for free. any nice people out there, who might like to send me an invite, i'd be eternally grateful, and of course you'd automatically go to heaven / hell depending on your preference.

martinvallis@talktalk.net

[cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]Avoid the queue herehttps://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/
  • Options
    how do you invite someone?
  • Options
    Hi Martin,

I'm a Spitify free user but when I logged in just now, they wouldn't allow me to send a free invitation.

This is from their help page:
    How do I get Spotify?
    You are welcome to buy Spotify Premium to start using it right away. Alternatively, if you know a Premium user who has remaining invitations, they can invite you to Spotify Free, a lighter version of Spotify with less features and commercial breaks.
    Can you give me an invite?
    Sorry, no :) If you don’t know anyone who can invite you, you can buy Spotify Premium to get started.

It seems only Premium members (9.99 per month) can invite at the moment or you have to subscribe to the paid for Premium service.
  • Options
    is it just me that can see this?

[cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]Avoid the queue herehttps://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/