Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do England need the distraction of a Beckham sideshow in South Africa?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Ghandi never got a Man of the Match you know.

Hard to play in sandals

Every time he got a corner he.............

Oh I suppose you can't tell that joke anymore can you? Well only in private.
    Not funny even in private
  • David Beckham brings more to the England team than any other player and last night that was proved, In 35 mins he did more than most midfielders on that pitch, Beckham will go to SA.

Do not underestimate the power of Cappelo all the baggage that comes with Team Beckham will not be allowed anywhere near the England Team all WAGS will have been told by their partners "sorry luv thats how Mr Cappelo wants it so you cant come "

There will be an allowance at the Fa's expense for the Wags and Kids to meet the players for a couple of days during the world Cup but then it will be business as usual.

Remember Mr Cappelo has banned mobiles during the day and the players only have them on after 8pm they all must eat together, they stay together they do things together as a team any one who thiks he will change this rule is mad.

the days of Sven and McClueless have gone the focus is football and winning and that is what David Beckham is about right now in his football career.

the thing is all those that have knocked him can also see it so now the focus will be on the harm he does to the squad because as an impact player for 40 mins there is no one better to retain a ball or pick a pass or hit a dead ball in that squad who could do any better

the thing for me last night is beckham now blends into the team (not the beard) but he no longer runs to take every free kick every corner or be on the ball all the time he just slots in and does what Beckham does best and the Beckham haters cant deal with it.

I think he is great always has been always will and Cappello thinks it as well you could see the smugness on his face after the 2nd goal went in and when Beckahm was announced MOM
  • Becks is a must have for the squad, the only thing I would say about him is loose the Beard fecking awful, worst fashion mistake he has ever made (Including the sarong). Sorry Ollie
  • If fit he goes, unfortunately the media hype will talk up every successful cross, corner, free-kick, pass from Beckham as though it significantly changed the match. He brings something to the team that no other English player has - which is consistency and in a large squad there should be a place for him. Besides that he deserves it.
  • Steve Bruce did him no favours last night. Just gave the anti-Becks brigade something else to moan about.

Luckily, its Capello that picks the squad...and he will, without doubt, take a fit David Beckham.
  • To not pick him only because of the possible media hype would be as bad as only picking him for his media profile.

If he can add to the squad, and no one seems to doubt that, then by all means take him.

Personally I still think a lot will depend on Walcott and J Cole getting fit and in form and the likes of Rooney being at the top of their game.

I'd also take Hargreaves as I think he is the best defensive midfielder we have. Certainly miles better than Carrick and edges Barry as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Becks is a must have for the squad, the only thing I would say about him is loose the Beard fecking awful, worst fashion mistake he has ever made (Including the sarong). Sorry Ollie

he did say it wasn't fashion just lazyness!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I'd also take Hargreaves as I think he is the best defensive midfielder we have. Certainly miles better than Carrick and edges Barry as well.

Hargreaves was excellent, but whether he'll be able to reach the standards of 3 years ago remains to be seen. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he never played professional football again.
  • I'm basing that on the assumption that Hargreaves can get fit and play at least half a season
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Ghandi never got a Man of the Match you know.

Hard to play in sandals

Every time he got a corner he.............

Oh I suppose you can't tell that joke anymore can you? Well only in private.

Oh you bad boy..... :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure you are all right and that Capello will do all he can to keep things in order. But don't underestimate the the tabs to fk everything up. If England are to win the WC then they have to be a complete unit focussed and with no distractions. The WAGS will be even more the centre of attention if they can't get near the players. Queen Posh and the kids will be lording it and this will be such an opportunity for the other attention seeking numbskulls that anything could happen.

Ok so Beckham turned the game against Belarus at the end of a nothing game. Hardly a World Cup QF or SF against a top side! I trust in Capello's judgement though. If he takes him he must be the best option. We will see.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Ok so Beckham turned the game against Belarus at the end of a nothing game. Hardly a World Cup QF or SF against a top side! I trust in Capello's judgement though. If he takes him he must be the best option. We will see.
    but he does it time and time again don't let your dislike of beckham blur your vision of how useful he'll be!
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Ok so Beckham turned the game against Belarus at the end of a nothing game. Hardly a World Cup QF or SF against a top side! I trust in Capello's judgement though. If he takes him he must be the best option. We will see.
    but he does it time and time again don't let your dislike of beckham blur your vision of how useful he'll be!

Lets not build Beckham into something he isn't.

I'd certainly have him in the squad but he's a useful sub, no more, no less.

I trust Capello to get the best from these players. If anyone isn't properly focused, they'll be on the first plane home.
  • I'm not saying he'll be our savior but he can help keep attacking and defending whilst closing out games
  • beckham is a must for south africa those who are saying he shouldnt go no fuck all about football they should av a look at some of the shite earning a £100 grand a week who get picked for our country they are a disgrace and as for his old woman being a sideshow she aint fking playing and oh yes man of the match against belarus he deserved it cos until he came on we couldnt keep the poxy ball once he came on we started to pass the bloody thing,shaun wright phillips overpaid overated shite.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]I'm sure you are all right and that Capello will do all he can to keep things in order. But don't underestimate the the tabs to fk everything up. If England are to win the WC then they have to be a complete unit focussed and with no distractions. The WAGS will be even more the centre of attention if they can't get near the players. Queen Posh and the kids will be lording it and this will be such an opportunity for the other attention seeking numbskulls that anything could happen.

The thing about Victoria and the Wags is that Posh doesnt need SA or her husband to get into the tabloids. Her and DB have been apart for along time before and she still gets limelight. 3/4 weeks next summer will be no different, so as much as i hate her, i dont see her being a problem.

Your right about the other WAG's gagging for attention tho....but i believe Capello will have all angles covered. If Gerrard's Missus needs looking after then im free.
  • [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]beckham is a must for south africa those who are saying he shouldnt go no fuck all about football they should av a look at some of the shite earning a £100 grand a week who get picked for our country they are a disgrace and as for his old woman being a sideshow she aint fking playing and oh yes man of the match against belarus he deserved it cos until he came on we couldnt keep the poxy ball once he came on we started to pass the bloody thing,shaun wright phillips overpaid overated shite.

That's ok then. All sorted. End of debate. Sorry I bothered with the thread!

I bet Beckham writes like you as well.
  • So you admit you dont like Beckham because of his off the ball history?
  • edited October 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]beckham is a must for south africa those who are saying he shouldnt go no fuck all about football they should av a look at some of the shite earning a £100 grand a week who get picked for our country they are a disgrace and as for his old woman being a sideshow she aint fking playing and oh yes man of the match against belarus he deserved it cos until he came on we couldnt keep the poxy ball once he came on we started to pass the bloody thing,shaun wright phillips overpaid overated shite.[/quote]

That's ok then. All sorted. End of debate. Sorry I bothered with the thread!

I bet Beckham writes like you as well.[/quote]

so what if he writes like me just stating that he is better than most of the squad so why shouldnt he go when he comes on the pitch he plays with pride and passion and oh yes he can also find a white shirt with a pass unlike most of the other players and yes you are right what a stupid thread to start.
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]So you admit you dont like Beckham because of his off the ball history?

Not sure how you come to that conclusion!

I don't think Beckham deserves all the 'hype' he is getting though. It is also a bit sad that he is still felt to be needed so much.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Hargreaves manages to get back before xmas he has to go, he is our only natural ball winner and imo miles ahead of Carrick and Barry. Barry may be loved by some but he does not play week in week out at a top 4 club, has no champions league experience and although he may look good against the likes of Belarus and even Croatia, when it comes to Brazil and Spain, I fear his lack of pace/mobility and lack of a right foot will be exposed. Also Hargreaves gives us an alterantive to Becks in so far as he is an excellent set piece taker(unlike Lampard) and dare I say it, take a good penalty!
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]If Hargreaves manages to get back before xmas he has to go, he is our only natural ball winner and imo miles ahead of Carrick and Barry. Barry may be loved by some but he does not play week in week out at a top 4 club, has no champions league experience and although he may look good against the likes of Belarus and even Croatia, when it comes to Brazil and Spain, I fear his lack of pace/mobility and lack of a right foot will be exposed. Also Hargreaves gives us an alterantive to Becks in so far as he is an excellent set piece taker(unlike Lampard) and dare I say it, take a good penalty!

Problem with Hargreaves is that he hasnt played for a very long time, he may not be the same player he was. I'll reserve judgement about him until he's played a handful of games for united.
  • Can't agree about Hargeaves.

The best English ball winning box to box midfielder is Scott Parker.
  • Becks is going simple as.... but will be a sub.

Frankly the nonsense his 'circus' brings does not bother me and in many ways takes the heat off the team, and the other younger players.

Personally speaking I do not care how he dresses, cuts his hair, or other 'stylish ' behaviour he is still the best passer and crosser that England have, bit like Rooney, and Gerrard IMO you have to revolve the team around those two .

Hope Joe Cole makes it. Hard not to select Crouch on his England performances,
  • for me Beckham has to be there because he offers something different to our other right-sided players. Lennon/SWP/Ashley Young/Walcott are all very similar players so i think i would our squad would be more balanced if we had Beckham & a couple of the others than, say, 3 of the aforementioned list.
  • OK, OK. I give up. The sun obviously shines out of Beckham's Ar** and he is going to win England the World Cup singlehandedly (albeit from the subs bench). Secret weapon etc etc. And it will be so nice for everyone to have Posh and the boys around.
  • Good thread, good debate... Chaz - no point in getting upset because most people disagree with your opinion... this is what a forum is all about....

interesting that 11 years after France 98 and playing in a micky mouse league most people think Becks should be on the plane to SA. I agree, he is still udoubtedly one of the top 22 English players and on that basis should be there. Also his experience of all the highs and lows of previous world cups should not be under estimated as far as influence in the changing room go.
  • Be interesting to see who goes.....injuries aside.
    Deffinites for me are: Gerrard, Terry, Rooney, James and Foster, Barry,Cole (A) Beckham, Crouch,

Probables:Joe Cole,Ferdinand R, Lampard, Defoe,Milner,
    Possibles: Bent,Carrick,Agbonlahour,Wallcott,Wright Phillips,Upson,

that leaves 1 space available.....as there is always someone who emerges......
    Although I think G Johnson will go, too me has an awful to lot to prove at International level........
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Barry may be loved by some but he does not play week in week out at a top 4 club ... I fear his lack of pace/mobility and lack of a right foot

We don't only have to choose players from the top 4. He would've been at Liverpool last season had Villa accepted the ridiculous £18m or so offered for him.

The right foot criticism is also strange. Gerrard hardly touches the ball with his left foot, yet that's not seen as a problem.
  • how has beckham in the squad distracted us from winning - won all but one qualifiying game so your arguement doesn't hold any water.

as an impact sub last 15 minutes i think its a no brainer to take him.