Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do England need the distraction of a Beckham sideshow in South Africa?

13»

Comments

• Options
    My 23 based on every being available and match fit would be:

GKs
    James
    Green
    Foster

DFs
    Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    A.Cole
    Upson
    Lescott
    Bridge

MFs
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Barry
    J.Cole
    Hargreaves
    Walcott
    Beckham
    SWP

STs
    Rooney
    Defoe
    Heskey
    Crouch
    Bent
  • Options
    Quite similar to WSS', mine would be:

James, Green, Robinson
    Johnson, Terry, Ferdinand, A.Cole, Upson, Brown, Bridge
    Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, J.Cole, Walcott, Beckham, Lennon, A.Young
    Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Heskey, Bent
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thecrazyaddick[/cite]Good thread, good debate... Chaz - no point in getting upset because most people disagree with your opinion... this is what a forum is all about....

interesting that 11 years after France 98 and playing in a micky mouse league most people think Becks should be on the plane to SA. I agree, he is still udoubtedly one of the top 22 English players and on that basis should be there. Also his experience of all the highs and lows of previous world cups should not be under estimated as far as influence in the changing room go.

Good points crazy. Only having a bit of a laugh with the sulk :-)

I do see the benefits but everyone should be aware that there is a bigger picture to this. Don't underestimate distractions. It has cost England in the past. Hopefully Capello will get it across that no one is bigger than the team. It will be the most focussed and organised team that will win it. Not a strong point of England squad's in recent times!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]beckham is a must for south africa those who are saying he shouldnt go no fuck all about football they should av a look at some of the shite earning a £100 grand a week who get picked for our country they are a disgrace and as for his old woman being a sideshow she aint fking playing and oh yes man of the match against belarus he deserved it cos until he came on we couldnt keep the poxy ball once he came on we started to pass the bloody thing,shaun wright phillips overpaid overated shite.

That's ok then. All sorted. End of debate. Sorry I bothered with the thread!

I bet Beckham writes like you as well.

so what if he writes like me just stating that he is better than most of the squad so why shouldnt he go when he comes on the pitch he plays with pride and passion and oh yes he can also find a white shirt with a pass unlike most of the other players and yes you are right what a stupid thread to start.

Sorry mate shouldn't of had a go at you like that. But your "no f all" comment riled me a bit. I'm not questioning Beckham's ability just that winning a WC is more than about having the best individual players (in my view anyway).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]If Hargreaves manages to get back before xmas he has to go, he is our only natural ball winner and imo miles ahead of Carrick and Barry. Barry may be loved by some but he does not play week in week out at a top 4 club

Whilst i agree that if fit and on form then Hargreaves is the better player, i don't think it matters one bit that Barry doesn't play for one of the big four. The times are changing and Barry could well be at a top 4 club by the time the WC starts. If City continue spending and for example push Liverpool out of the top 4, would you not pick Gerrard because he's not at a top 4 club?

I'd take exactly the same squad as WSS with 2 exceptions, Lennon instead of SWP. And i think we need another right back in the squad. If Johnson gets injured who plays there? Not sure who to drop from that 23 though.
  • Options
    I hate Lennon and think SWP is a harder worker and better finisher but thats about opinions. I suppose in terms of right back - Lescott could probably fit in there, and dare I say SWP if he was in the squad. Or you swap Lescott for Micah Richards?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't think Posh Spice was the reason we didn't win the last world Cup. How ridiculous. The reason we were knocked out is because we couldn't take penalties! I don't think Beckham took all 5 of our penalties did he? Sven also took Theo Walcott instead of the top English goal scorer Darren Bent and then didn't even use him when Portugal were clearly tiring. We had no Plan B and sat deep and defended for the majority of the game after taking an early lead. Thats why we didn't win the World Cup. I don't see how anyone can genuinely believe Lennon, Walcott, SWP or Milner are more effective players than Beckham. Capello will take him. Granted, Beckham won't start but when he plays you can guarantee he will always give his best, always has the best interests of the team at heart, plus he always create chances for his team mates. Maybe it is sad Beckham is needed so much, but is that his fault? It's not Beckham's fault that there is not a good enough and consistent enough player to take his place. Even Capello is undecided on who should play on the right of midfield. Rightly said earlier, there will always be a media-circus around England regardless of who plays. Isn't Gerrard in OK Magazine with his wife all the time? Cheryl Cole's also getting here face everywhere these days. Beckham is far from our biggest problem - in fact he's not a problem at all. Bigger problems are: Rio Ferdinand? What if Rooney misses the tournament? Have we got a decent, consistent and reliable goalkeeper?
  • Options
    Lennon, SWP, Lescott, Richards........ not entirely convinced by any of them, but then again I thought that Johnson who is Capello's No 1 choice gave the ball away far too many times....... Which you could see Capello was upset about in his comments after the match. But this seems to be the group that are mentioned.

Hope that Darren at least gets an opportunity and his form deserves that, but feel he is behind Heskey and Carlton Cole and they are by no means certain......
  • Options
    Beckham is a must for SA. Pure class!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I hate Lennon and think SWP is a harder worker and better finisher but thats about opinions. I suppose in terms of right back - Lescott could probably fit in there, and dare I say SWP if he was in the squad. Or you swap Lescott for Micah Richards?

Wes Brown for me. Much more a reliable defender than Richards, and can also play centre half.
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    Good points crazy. Only having a bit of a laugh with the sulk :-)

I do see the benefits but everyone should be aware that there is a bigger picture to this. Don't underestimate distractions. It has cost England in the past. Hopefully Capello will get it across that no one is bigger than the team. It will be the most focussed and organised team that will win it. Not a strong point of England squad's in recent times!

The point I think most people are making is that it isn't these supposed "distractions" that have cost us, it's that the team weren't good enough and never performed properly in penalty shootouts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bigger problems are: Rio Ferdinand? What if Rooney misses the tournament? Have we got a decent, consistent and reliable goalkeeper?......

Hopefully Rio is just having a bad run of form and I think he has an injury....... The tournament is made for Rooney,who will be a marked man, and needs to calm it down......easier said than done...... and agree about the goalkeeper, that is why I chose James ( but bound to have one of his funny 5 minutes) and Foster......
    Feel we have to take some youngsters as the Champions league may well have an effect on some of the top 5 club players.......
  • Options
    As well as being such a good player, Beckham brings loads of experience to the camp which will help a great deal in SA.

If he stays fit and plays enough in Milan I would not hesitate to take him.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]beckham is a must for south africa those who are saying he shouldnt go no fuck all about football they should av a look at some of the shite earning a £100 grand a week who get picked for our country they are a disgrace and as for his old woman being a sideshow she aint fking playing and oh yes man of the match against belarus he deserved it cos until he came on we couldnt keep the poxy ball once he came on we started to pass the bloody thing,shaun wright phillips overpaid overated shite.[/quote]

That's ok then. All sorted. End of debate. Sorry I bothered with the thread!

I bet Beckham writes like you as well.[/quote]

so what if he writes like me just stating that he is better than most of the squad so why shouldnt he go when he comes on the pitch he plays with pride and passion and oh yes he can also find a white shirt with a pass unlike most of the other players and yes you are right what a stupid thread to start.[/quote]

Sorry mate shouldn't of had a go at you like that. But your "no f all" comment riled me a bit. I'm not questioning Beckham's ability just that winning a WC is more than about having the best individual players (in my view anyway).[/quote]

chaz i apolgise for my f--k all about football quote mate but beckham has earned his place in the squad more than most and lets be honest apart from his misses who is better than him in the role he plays his maturity these days could be a big difference to the less experienced players.
  • Options
    Cheers boogica. Fair comment. More importantly. Let's have a win for Addicks today :-)
  • Options
    There'll be a media frenzy with or without Beckham. Both Capello and Beckham understand the shennanigans of the media and hence I reckon Beckham will be a useful addition to the camp in that his experiences will help the other players to stay focussed rather than add to the distractions. Plus, he still brings quality to the squad and just has that uncanny ability to change things when he comes on, both in terms of play and team attitude. How can you leave him out? My biggest concern is how they will handle the heat and humidity.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite] My biggest concern is how they will handle the heat and humidity.

Are you aware of what the SA weather is like in June and July? Waterlogged pitches will probably be the biggest problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]My biggest concern is how they will handle the heat and humidity.

Are you aware of what the SA weather is like in June and July? Waterlogged pitches will probably be the biggest problem.

Depends what part of SA your in. Venues are plotted miles from each other. Games will be held in Hot & cold weather...along with high altitude.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]My biggest concern is how they will handle the heat and humidity.

Depends what part of SA your in. Venues are plotted miles from each other. Games will be held in Hot & cold weather...along with high altitude.

Not so much the players it is the travelling fans I worry about. Got some relatives there. Can be a very scary place!
  • Options
    Do England need the distraction of people discussing what the distractions may be 8 months before the tournament?
  • Options
    Probably not many of the squad use this site Jimmy so not an issue I guess :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Probably not many of the squad use this site Jimmy so not an issue I guess :-)

aaaah - but users of this site do in fact mingle with other members of society and take these discussions with them. Anyway I suspect that Gareth Barry looks at this site.
  • Options
    I Agree with Chaz -dont believe he should go
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eastbourne addick[/cite]I Agree with Chaz -dont believe he should go

Cheers mate but might be changing my mind after the long debate on here :-) As long as he doesn't take his missis that is!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eastbourne addick[/cite]I Agree with Chaz -dont believe he should go
    please explain