Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Ever Cover Version

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i quite like boyzone's cover of Father and Son. haha ridiculous taste in music i know but i do love the original. love a bit of Yusuf Islam.

I liked that version.

now the one Jim Davidson did with his real son. That was cringe worthy.
  • Options
    Anything by westlife
  • Options
    Under the Bridge (Chillies) covered by All Saints.
  • Options
    bless

I know im going to get ruined for this BUT i just watched the boyzone vid (well im not sure its a vid its garbage) but this song always makes me a little bit choked for some reason and now seeing young stephen on it. even sadder, god love him.

(for those that dont know im a woman so am allowed to make such stupid statements).
  • Options
    Lot of Love (by the great Homer Banks), covered by that God awful ginger p***k simply dead, who still seems to be under the misguided impression he's a Soul singer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Lot of Love (by the great Homer Banks), covered by that God awful ginger p***k simply dead, who still seems to be under the misguided impression he's a Soul singer.

LOL

I will vote for anyone doing Son of a Preacher man. Dusty did it and no one is going to do half as well so just leave it alone.
  • Options
    Like this version of Father and Son.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cpX1ZjuaiA&feature=fvw

Not as good as Cat Stevens but he's good IMHO
  • Options
    Alexandra Burke version of Cohens Hallelujah
  • Options
    'night nurse' by tit hucknall and 'do the shake n vac' by snuff
  • Options
    voice a bit shaky in parts there. just listening to his original.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Son of a Preacher man by Dusty. What Henry said.
  • Options
    I think we may need a Cat Stevens top five.
  • Options
    Agree about Smiths covers - unless they are markedly different and give a wholly new perspective on the song (Quicksand's cover of 'How Soon is Now' springs to mind) anyone attempting them should be castrated.

So far, of the list above, the cover of 'Hallelujah' is by far the worst. Listen to Jeff Buckley's version for a good cover version of what is an awesome, beautiful song.
  • Options
    Anything Mark Ronson has prouduced, especially Valerie by Amy Whinehouse, nowhere near as good as the Zutons and vastly overplayed
  • Options
    Any cover that is done to sound exactly like the original. What is the point! At least risk it being sh#t by putting your own stamp on it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mistrollingin[/cite]Son of a Preacher man by Dusty. What Henry said.

Sorry Mistrollongin and Henry but I prefer Aretha's version. But then I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Gospel.
  • Options
    Under the Bridge (Chillies) covered by All Saints.
    The guitar on the All Saints version was played by Richard Hawley.

Anything by UB40 (surely the most successful cover band in music history), they make me cringe every time I hear them.
  • Options
    Agreed VFR, they butchered some ska classics.
  • Options
    VFR by the Red Army Ensemble - I murdered it!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]VFR by the Red Army Ensemble - I murdered it!!

Yeh - but other peoples vocals brought it all together :-)

And Henry - you said you loved Aretha's version of Preacher Man, one early morning heading East on the M20.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anything by Westlife, Boyzone or any other bag of boy band shite. I was going to nominate 'I believe I can fly' which is covered by just about every lame karaoke artist from reality TV land; then I realised I hate the original as well.

P.S The Paul McShane incident (watch it - it's horrific) was rendered 100 times funnier for me as a friend said 'he's supposed to have a really good voice' with an air of authority just as he got going. One minute later he was dying of embarassment and the rest of us were pissing ourselves laughing....
  • Options
    its the lyrics that make VFR. Especially the 2nd and 3rd verses.

Nothing wrong with Aretha's version but she is Aretha so normal rules do not apply.
  • Options
    Status Quo's versions of 'A Mess of the Blues' and 'The Wanderer'. Cringeworthy!
  • Options
    The Ronson version of Stop Me. I was quite exctied when I heard that a cover of it was in the charts as I think Strangeways is their most underated album, I thought it might give it some of the kudos it deserves - then I heard Ronson's mangling of it urrggghhhh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]The Ronson version of Stop Me. I was quite exctied when I heard that a cover of it was in the charts as I think Strangeways is their most underated album, I thought it might give it some of the kudos it deserves - then I heard Ronson's mangling of it urrggghhhh.

I refer you to my earlier comment, it is truly awful. FIrst time i heard it was on Radio 1 in the car, i was so mad at how badly he'd ruined it i moaned to my bird (who was driving at the time) bout it for like 30 mins, she was not amused.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Big C[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]The Ronson version of Stop Me. I was quite exctied when I heard that a cover of it was in the charts as I think Strangeways is their most underated album, I thought it might give it some of the kudos it deserves - then I heard Ronson's mangling of it urrggghhhh.

I refer you to my earlier comment, it is truly awful. FIrst time i heard it was on Radio 1 in the car, i was so mad at how badly he'd ruined it i moaned to my bird (who was driving at the time) bout it for like 30 mins, she was not amused.

Just youtubed it - Absolutely butchered just like those Russian mugs TaTu did to "How soon is now".

Mozza is a legend.
  • Options
    Anything by John Otway! But the man is a legend:

Best (worst) Otway covers:

I Will Survive, sung in the style of Bob Dylan complete with tuneless harmonica

Space Oddity, in Yorkshire accent complete with brass band

Punk version of Two Little Boys.
  • Options
    Haven't heard the Otway one but the Splodgenessabounds punk version of Two Little Boys is worth a listen.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Haven't heard the Otway one but the Splodgenessabounds punk version of Two Little Boys is worth a listen.

Classic, remember watching them sing that ... could have been down the Woolwich Tramshed ?
  • Options
    Paul Young murdering "Love will tear us apart" by Joy Division