Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Was The Valley Spared?

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
For anyone who listened to the Spanny Baker show this morning, why was The Valley saved in his plans to demolish all but 20 football grounds in Britain. If the boot was on the other foot, I can't imagine for a second that any Charlton fan would save The Den, New or old. I missed the reasons, but I'm guessing:
- One time biggest ground
- Huge old east terrace
- Ability to spot trains from the ground in the old days
- Only ground to have a political party
- Most high profile return to a former ground
- Scene of the highest scoring league match

Or, were there other reasons?

Comments

• Options
    No true Charlton fan should listen to Danny Baker.

But what era are we talking about here - pre-war, post war, sixties etc?
  • Options
    The Who concert was the main reason
  • Options
    If he has such plans, surely he's a terrorist.
  • Options
    Just mentioning that Spanner cnut is spoiling my mood.....TOP OF LEAGUE....CHARLTON!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]No true Charlton fan should listen to Danny Baker.

Then I'm not a true Charlton fan then. From a professional (yes I know that's a bit rich from me) view, he is an absolute genius on the radio. Shame he's Millwall, but we all have our crosses
  • Options
    I agree with BDL. I can't be a true charlton fan then. Always had alot of time for Danny Baker and enjoyed his shows on 606. Yeah true he supports the scum but i'm not gonna hold that against him.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I'm also a bit gutted he's a Millwall fan as I tend to think he's brilliant on the radio.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]No true Charlton fan should listen to Danny Baker.

Then I'm not a true Charlton fan then. From a professional (yes I know that's a bit rich from me) view, he is an absolute genius on the radio. Shame he's Millwall, but we all have our crosses

Spot on BDL
  • Options
    DB is a radio God.
  • Options
    Love little DB on the radio. Always used to bump in to him in Greenwich M & S early weekend mornings. Seemed very polite and pleasent. Couldn't care less who someone supports if in the flesh they come across as decent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard this part of the DB show (by accident honest when I was out in the motor). The Charlton fan making the case for the Valley mentioned the history of the place (huge historical attendances), natural arena, the return by Charlton with the Valley Party input, the use as a concert venue by the Who et al (I was there for that), 7-6 Huddersfield match. To be fair DB said it was a difficult one for him but had to agree it had to be saved.

So give some DB credit (spanner or not).
  • Options
    And allegedly one of his daughters is courting an Addick.
  • Options
    I used to hate the cnut myself - but over the years I've grown to like him. He's irreverent, very intelligent, erudite and highly likeable.
  • Options
    Right I don't like the fact he is a millwall fan but I met him once (me absolutely off my swede) at Victoria station and to be fair the funny little fat man was alright. I gave him a high five for his performance on 606 the night that got him sacked and he told me he knew he was in trouble and thought in for a penny in for a pound. He even had the grace when I called him a Millwall wanker to laugh and told me to f*ck off back to my Chatham caravan which amused the people I was with no end.

No, he is a fat millsmall twat
  • Options
    As I recall he was a really good writer with the NME. Think he was the first journalist to ever hint that not all was quite right with a young michael Jackson long before the surgeon's knife and " skin pigmentation problems" began to give the game away.
    Really went off him when he was a tv " character"but his radio shows are great. He supports millwall and has digs at us, I'm sure most of us would be at it on cafc's behalf if we were in his position ;-)
  • Options
    he killed Bob Marley
  • Options
    He top radio chap makes me laugh and millwalll
    that his problem funny how we can hate someone
    because of the team they support. I do it all the time
    but strange you could be perfect match on all other aspects
    just wondering has anyone here dumped someone because they
    supported spanners etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PhoenixSiv[/cite]he killed Bob Marley

?
  • Options

Exactly.

Scumbag.

Good radio presenter though!
  • Options
    Very good writer with Sniffin' Glue and the NME. Very knowledgeable about his music and the best football presenter on the radio.

I was sold him a copy of the high quality south London music fanzine Safe as Milk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]

?

He played football v the Wailers when with the NME. Trod on Bob's foot and injured him.

Years later Marley died of cancer that started in his foot.

An urban myth that Baker killed Marley but one started by Baker.
  • Options
    He deserves credit for being prepared to "save" The Valley, as any rival fans must be sick of us all bleating on about our wonderful historic home. He was big enough despite that to acknowledge that for numerous reasons it genuinely is a special place. He also went on to explain quite openly on national radio, that despite local banter, it's really Palace we all hate. Well done that man.
  • Options
    "Those horrible strips from the suburbs..."
  • Options
    I really like banter between fans that I meet.
    That's what rivalry between supporters should be all about.

It's give and take - with a bit of good natured pisstaking.
    And in football, you always get a chance to get your own back.

Same with Danny Baker.
  • Options
    If he is on the wireless I tend to stay with him and not channel hop because he is a good and enjoyable listen...yes I know he is a Millwall fan, but his digs are far more cutting towards Palace than towards us....I think 1 Danny Baker is worth 10 Alan Greens.
  • Options
    he has two daughters - one dates an addick, the other a stripey Nigel......
  • Options
    He hates Palace with the same passion a lot of Charlton fans do
  • Options
    Great on the radio, excellent music journalist, and a former Sham 69 fan like me :-)

... and as Rothko says, he hates Palaaarse
  • Options
    Been listening to the podcast - good show and DB listened wisely to the arguments :-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]He hates Palace with the same passion a lot of Charlton fans do[/quote]

I don't