Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the politest turnstyle operator ever ?

i thought i noticed it last week but didn't give it another thought but when he did it again yesterday it registered...i gave him my ticket as i went through the turnstyle and he said 'thankyou, enjoy the game sir'...an unexpected civility for a football match and and a nice touch, clearly a lad that will go far in the service industry...turnstyle 16 i think it is (its now a habit going to it so i dont look at the number - entrance for the upper west n block)...

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: letthegoodtimesroll[/cite]i thought i noticed it last week but didn't give it another thought but when he did it again yesterday it registered...i gave him my ticket as i went through the turnstyle and he said 'thankyou, enjoy the game sir'...an unexpected civility for a football match and and a nice touch, clearly a lad that will go far in the service industry...turnstyle 16 i think it is (its now a habit going to it so i dont look at the number - entrance for the upper west n block)...

Funny you should say that, he said the same thing to my little un when he handed him his ticket last week and again this. I thought I misheard last week but then he said it again yesterday. Thought it was really nice of him, a nice touch.

I know people from the club come on here so it would be good if they could feed some positive feedback to the fella, which I'm sure would make a nice change.
  • Options
    Glad to hear your good story. Unfortunately, I don't think it would take much to win this particular award.
  • Options
    Cat Jnr and me also got an 'enjoy the game' for the Oldham match at West Upper J/K turnstile. Don't recall a 'sir' being tacked on but then they were cheaper tickets than N block ;-)
  • Options
    Robert Lee never used to say that.
  • Options
    When i go through the same turnstile every game for the North Upper, thirty something it is, i always have a wee convo with the chap behind. So always get a nice smile & enjoy the game. You get out what you put in.
  • Options
    Nice to hear especially when they have to put up with idiots like me who think they are funny when they put on their best Len Goodman voice and say "is it match number SEVVVEEERRRN ?"
  • Options
    The father-in-law drives me nuts at the turnstiles. Just hands the bloke his book and lets him fumble through, find the correct ticket and take it out. Tear the ticket out and give it to the bloke while showing your open ST book man!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]The father-in-law drives me nuts at the turnstiles. Just hands the bloke his book and lets him fumble through, find the correct ticket and take it out. Tear the ticket out and give it to the bloke while showing your open ST book man!

ha ha agree with that , it winds me up if anyone does that in front of me , it slows the whole process down !
  • Options
    He doesn't call me sir, think he should be sacked immediately.
  • Options
    I had a lady in the North Upper who also said 'enjoy the game'

Someone last week asked me how much my season ticket was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: letthegoodtimesroll[/cite]i thought i noticed it last week but didn't give it another thought but when he did it again yesterday it registered...i gave him my ticket as i went through the turnstyle and he said 'thankyou, enjoy the game sir'...an unexpected civility for a football match and and a nice touch, clearly a lad that will go far in the service industry...turnstyle 16 i think it is (its now a habit going to it so i dont look at the number - entrance for the upper west n block)...
    Had a same thing said to me as I went through the turnstile to the North Upper, was taken a bit by surprise and just managed to get a 'cheers' out before i was through turnstile! Even the train driver made an announcement wishing all the Charlton fans good luck as the train arrived at Charlton station - not used to all this civilised stuff
  • Options

Thats fantastic wot stand mate?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]
    Had a same thing said to me as I went through the turnstile to the North Upper, was taken a bit by surprise and just managed to get a 'cheers' out before i was through turnstile! Even the train driver made an announcement wishing all the Charlton fans good luck as the train arrived at Charlton station - not used to all this civilised stuff

North upper really????????????? maybe they have their favs i never get b peep outta any stewards in North Upper
  • Options
    It's getting near Christmas, softening us up for a tip. Binman will start putting the wheelie bins back in the correct place.
  • Options
    turnstyle 16 i think it is (its now a habit going to it so i dont look at the number - entrance for the upper west n block)...

That's the sort of service you get if you sit in the West Stand...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]turnstyle 16 i think it is (its now a habit going to it so i dont look at the number - entrance for the upper west n block)...

That's the sort of service you get if you sit in the West Stand...

Cool never in Covered end would we get that service but then thats why we call you west stand tory boys hey :-)
  • Options
    Cool never in Covered end would we get that service but then thats why we call you west stand tory boys hey :-)

East stander me, I'm not establishment enough for the west stand.
  • Options
    That's my entrance, although I can't say I noticed him say it to me or the Missus.
  • Options
    i used to work on the turnstiles on the west stand years back, it's really shit, you have to turn up ridiculously early and just sit around doing nothing until you're eventually asked to go to your turnstile. stayed for a few months, would've left earlier but the supervisor i had was fit so what ya gonna do :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Talal[/cite]i used to work on the turnstiles on the west stand years back, it's really shit, you have to turn up ridiculously early and just sit around doing nothing until you're eventually asked to go to your turnstile. stayed for a few months, would've left earlier but the supervisor i had was fit so what ya gonna do :)

Ha ha - what else did you want to be doing then? I would say that the average turnstile operator job description would say, "turn up early hang around, go to your turnstile". You'd have moaned if they'd also wanted you to sweep up after!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i just didn't see the point in turning up so early and doing nothing for ages but anyway it was my first job and happened to be with the club i love so can't be all bad! think the fact i had a season ticket and had to miss the start of matches was the main reason i stopped doing it, the money wasn't worth that!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am amazed at how many supporters go through the turnstyle and don't say thank you to the turnstyle operator for clicking the switch to let them in. no wonder they don't often say much. north upper turnstyle operator always says thank you to me, after i've said thank you to them for taking my ticket and letting me in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I am amazed at how many supporters go through the turnstyle and don't say thank you to the turnstyle operator for clicking the switch to let them in. no wonder they don't often say much. north upper turnstyle operator always says thank you to me, after i've said thank you to them for taking my ticket and letting me in.

I wish there was more peopl like you suzi none of my mates ever say thank you to the turstyle guys but then i do after they have all been through i think they dont say thanks to me as they think i am with my mates who havnt said it so they are abit taken a back when i say thanks :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I am amazed at how many supporters go through the turnstyle and don't say thank you to the turnstyle operator for clicking the switch to let them in. no wonder they don't often say much. north upper turnstyle operator always says thank you to me, after i've said thank you to them for taking my ticket and letting me in.

Why do you thank them for doing their (extremely easy) job? Do you thank a bouncer for letting you into a club? Do you go and thank the train driver for opening and closing the doors on the tube?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Why do you thank them for doing their (extremely easy) job? Do you thank a bouncer for letting you into a club? Do you go and thank the train driver for opening and closing the doors on the tube?

Its our crazy, mixed up world.

Why do most people on holiday tip some bloke for taking a top off a beer bottle, or carrying a drink on a tray (that someone else poured) two yards to your table, yet don't leave a tip for the women that cleans their toilet, makes their bed etc , picks up your rubbish for a week etc ?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Why do you thank them for doing their (extremely easy) job? Do you thank a bouncer for letting you into a club? Do you go and thank the train driver for opening and closing the doors on the tube?

Why do most people on holiday tip some bloke for taking a top off a beer bottle, or carrying a drink on a tray (that someone else poured) two yards to your table, yet don't leave a tip for the women that cleans their toilet, makes their bed etc , picks up your rubbish for a week etc ?

Because you don't tip your own wife, it's her job!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Why do you thank them for doing their (extremely easy) job? Do you thank a bouncer for letting you into a club? Do you go and thank the train driver for opening and closing the doors on the tube?

because the people that do these "extremely easy" jobs provide a service that if they weren't there, we wouldn't be able to get in.

it costs nothing to say thank you. I do say thank you to a bouncer for letting me in to a club, why shouldn't i? if you're polite and courteous then they'll be polite and courteous back to you.

I hate being out for dinner with people who don't say thank you when a waitress takes away an empty bottle/glass/plate or when they serve their food. If i worked in a restaurant I'd prefer manners over a large tip as it would make working a pleasure if you were serving polite appreciative customers.

i was at chelsea v spurs in the executive bit a few weeks ago and was shocked at how unpolite most of the people in there were. the waiter appreciated our politeness as he served us all day and i made a point of saying thanks to him when we left for all his running around for us with food requests, drinks etc. didn't cost me anything, and there was no reason not to.

sometimes i think people are just mean.
  • Options

There is no harm in thanking people.
  • Options

Having just got back from the States I have to say the tipping thing did start to get in my nerves after a while. I always leave a few dollars per day for the maid and I'm quite happy to leave at least 10% for the waiter/waitress if the service has been good and, being the US, generally it is very good. I draw the flipping line though at paying $7 for a beer and being expected to chuck in another $1 to the barman for his thirty seconds work.

I'm one of those people who apologises even when someone else accidentally treads on their toes so I can't understand how so many people can go through life being so rude to others - to the point that someone feels the need to comment on what, in reality, is just really very good mannners in a service industry.
  • Options
    I agree with Suzi to be fair the stewards at football for me is a much higher title than a bouncer at a club. I dont thanks bouncers because i have never met a bouncer who will even smile at me when they finally let me in their usually shit club. Bouncers are abreed of their own the only ones i have ever met are born at school wankers who couldnt get into the police force cos their not clever enough (sorry if theres any doormen on here i am only going on my own experieces thats all i have to judge them on). As for thanking the tube drivers that would just be ridiculous cos you would hold every other person up who was trying to get to the exit of the platform so to take time out to thank them would just be novice.