Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Catford/Downham/Grove Park pubs

Comments

• Options

My old manor as well married a girl from whitefoot terrace used to drink in the governor general think it was called something else before that,it was always a bit lively.For a quieter drink we used to go to the Farwig is that still open?

Yes but it's members only which is rather strange for a pub. Best pub in Bromley is the Red Lion.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Great news; that's approximately 3 minutes walk from my house. So I've no excuse not to go.

I hope it goes well for the pub, but if I were you I'd get myself down the Prince Fred just off of Plaistow Green. Always used to be a cracking boozer that.
    Great shout Off It, The Fred was my local when I lived in Sundridge Park. Used to love watching the footy in there on a Sunday afternoon.

Was also where we went back to after the play off final, some party that night!

• Options

My old manor as well married a girl from whitefoot terrace used to drink in the governor general think it was called something else before that,it was always a bit lively.For a quieter drink we used to go to the Farwig is that still open?

Yes but it's members only which is rather strange for a pub. Best pub in Bromley is the Red Lion.
    Agree with you 100% on the Red Lion. Absolutely cracking boozer, always go there when back visiting my folks.
  • Options
    It just came to me the Guvnor General used to be called the Northover
  • Options
    Can be seen in the film The Long Good Fiday◾The Governor General pub – where Harold finds Billy (Nick Stringer) – was the real name of the pub at the time - earlier it was called the Northover. Located at the junction of Whitefoot Lane and Northover in Downham. Now a Q8 petrol station.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    When old threads get resurrected #3681

This is what the Black Horse and Harrow in Catford looks like now. Well, at least it's not been demolished and turned into flats I spose .....

https://www.alamy.com/the-ninth-life-pub-and-night-club-in-catfordsouth-london-uk-shows-the-distictive-black-painted-victorian-elevation-with-muti-coloured-slashes-image244242743.html

• Options
    Off_it said:

This is what the Black Horse and Harrow in Catford looks like now. Well, at least it's not been demolished and turned into flats I spose .....

https://www.alamy.com/the-ninth-life-pub-and-night-club-in-catfordsouth-london-uk-shows-the-distictive-black-painted-victorian-elevation-with-muti-coloured-slashes-image244242743.html

The Constitutional 2 minutes up the road is a gem.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Amazing!
  • Options
    I've also been reading up on what they'e done to the old Fellowship Inn at Bellingham. Sounds impressive. Never even knew that old cinema was even there.

https://www.phoenixch.org.uk/community/fellowship-inn

• Options
    Constitutional has closed. Building is apparently dangerous - hopefully it may open again once safety works are completed but I reckon it will become more housing.
    Ninth Life is very good. A bit quirky but a very welcome addition. Is open til 3am Friday and Saturday and is a good family pub in the day. The Fellowship in Bellingham is also nice. Family focused and a great selection of drinks. Also open late at weekends.
    Catford Mews is now a 3 screen cinema, with food vendors and a bar. 
    Nice to have some decent drinking holes in Catford!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Blimey. I can still remember when it was Woolworths!
  • Options
    Catford Mews looks brilliant inside, not seen a film in their yet, so cant comment on the screens.

Good prices as well
    £8.99 members
    £9.99 non members
  • Options
    Constitutional has closed. Building is apparently dangerous - hopefully it may open again once safety works are completed but I reckon it will become more housing.
    Ninth Life is very good. A bit quirky but a very welcome addition. Is open til 3am Friday and Saturday and is a good family pub in the day. The Fellowship in Bellingham is also nice. Family focused and a great selection of drinks. Also open late at weekends.
    Blimey, I was in there only 6? weeks ago.
  • Options
    Catford Mews looks brilliant inside, not seen a film in their yet, so cant comment on the screens.

Good prices as well
    £8.99 members
    £9.99 non members
    Going tomorrow night 
  • Options
    Blimey, I was in there only 6? weeks ago.
    Lewisham Council served Antic with an eviction notice about a month ago, giving them a week to leave. Antic responded in typical fashion by throwing their toys out of the pram over a building they'd occupied rent-free yet allowed to continue to fall to pieces, including a lovely spell when the gents' toilet was leaking into the bar. Lewisham got Antic of a pickle when they were turfed out of the Catford Bridge Tavern, and Antic showed their appreciation by constantly insinuating the place was going to be knocked down and turned into flats.

Ninth Life is alright, though a little on the expensive side. It's doing well, though. The revamped Fellowship's alright too, although the Saturday afternoon we popped in we ended up chatting to a fella who kept going on about how nobody else in the pub was local (they were probably all from the other side of Bromley Road) and how it was better when it was just people from Bellingham in there...
  • Options
    Had a few pints in the Jolly Farmers the other week, after taking the mother-in-law for her hospital appointment....decent lager and friendly barmaid....proper Irish crisps as well (TATAs). 
  • Options
    Work in Catford so been to leaving dos regularly at both Ninth Life and CBT (and CCC until it shut). Got sent something from a group connected to Antic I think claiming that closing the CCC was "gentrifying Catford" which was a bit rich given they were the first to start serving acceptable ale and do the whole shabby chic thing. 

• Options
    Bump.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Ms AA's mum used to be a barmaid in The Fellowship and Star back in the '60s, when it was just The Fellowship.  We popped in there a couple of weeks ago and were impressed with what they've done with the place, although disappointed not to be given ex-staff member's family discount.  We'll be going to the cinema there soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why are there no pubs within a mile and a half north of Catford?
    Because Scottish MP Archibald Corbett bought the land and built the houses around 1895, forming the Corbett Estate.
    He was devoutly religious a reformist and unfortunately for many one might say, an avid abolitionist into the bargain, hence there was an in perpetuity binding covenant put in place that no pubs can be built on the estate, as a result there are noticeably no pubs anywhere in the area.
    All the roads have names of towns and villages in The Western Highlands and the parish church is not unsurprisingly named St. Andrews, which is located at the Torridon Road/Sandhurst Road cross roads......ironically, it would have been a great location for a pub.

Here endeth the lesson..........let us pray.

Similarly south-west from St Leonard's church in Streatham.  Once you get past the The Furzedown there's no pubs for a couple of miles or so because of the Methodists who owned the land.
  • Options
    Why are there no pubs within a mile and a half north of Catford?
    Because Scottish MP Archibald Corbett bought the land and built the houses around 1895, forming the Corbett Estate.
    He was devoutly religious a reformist and unfortunately for many one might say, an avid abolitionist into the bargain, hence there was an in perpetuity binding covenant put in place that no pubs can be built on the estate, as a result there are noticeably no pubs anywhere in the area.
    All the roads have names of towns and villages in The Western Highlands and the parish church is not unsurprisingly named St. Andrews, which is located at the Torridon Road/Sandhurst Road cross roads......ironically, it would have been a great location for a pub.

Here endeth the lesson..........let us pray.

You mean South and East of Catford - the Corbett estate straddles Brownhill Road to the east of Catford centre, but is mainly south of it. There's a map at https://thecorbettsociety.org.uk/.
    Less than a mile north of Catford are the Jolly Farmers, Fox and Ladywell Tavern and there used to be the George, the Coach & Horses/Ravensbourne, the one next to Mountsfield Park whose name escapes me, Dover Castle, Queens Head, Spotted Cow and a couple more around that end of Hither Green Lane that I don't remember. South of Catford there was only ever the Fellowship, the Green Man and the Tigers' Head at Southend and the Garden Gate at Downham, of which only the Fellowship is still there. 
    I think (may be wrong) that there were similar covenants on the land that became Bellingham and Downham estates as what pubs were opened there were mainly around the edges (Bromley Rd or Grove Park). I would say it's the driest area of London I know of but the way pubs have closed everywhere that's probably not true. I think there's only one open boozer in Erith, for example. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The pub next to Mountsfield Park was called The Dartmouth Tavern.....50 yards from The Mount, in the park itself, where Charlton played for one season 1923/24 before returning to SE7, they were nicknamed The Kittens (Catford), during that short period and played in light and dark blue vertical striped shirts!
    Johnny Summers used it frequently as he often walked his whippet (Kim) in Mountsfield Park......circa1957/60.
    Yes, my assertion that the Corbett Estate is to the north of Catford is wrong, got my radar wrong there.

• Options
    Not exactly Downham but the Beechtree (latterly the Hop & Rye) at the top of Bromley Hill closed several weeks' ago and is being knocked down. Quite near to me but the haunt of too many Spanners from Downham for me.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Not exactly Downham but the Beechtree (latterly the Hop & Rye) at the top of Bromley Hill closed several weeks' ago and is being knocked down. Quite near to me but the haunt of too many Spanners from Downham for me.
    Work colleague tells me that there's a micro pub opened there a few doors up in the old ironmongers shop. Not been there but he was raving about it
  • Options
    Lock and Barrel, been there are few times, it's very good.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    addick05 said:
    Downham estate i used to think was a charlton stronghold. only because my grandad (originally from Bermondsey himself. whos on my mums side) and his mates lived there and were all charlton and my dads school mates who are from there are all charlton, bar one. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    addick05 said:
    Work colleague tells me that there's a micro pub opened there a few doors up in the old ironmongers shop. Not been there but he was raving about it

I drove past it the other day and it does look small, one of the new breed of micro-pubs springing up all over the place. They are a real ale drinkers paradise. It's badly sited as it's right by the traffic lights so no parking - but then again you shouldn't be drinking and driving anyway.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Downham estate i used to think was a charlton stronghold. only because my grandad (originally from Bermondsey himself. whos on my mums side) and his mates lived there and were all charlton and my dads school mates who are from there are all charlton, bar one. 

Not in my experience, and I've lived in Bromley for 46 years.
  • Options
    Late 40's early 50's my dad and his mates lived on Downham and where all Charlton, by the time I went to secondary school on Downham mid 60's there was only me and my mate who admitted to being Charlton, plenty said they were Millwall although not sure many of them went it just made them sound hard.