Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Catford/Downham/Grove Park pubs

13»

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else actually live in Catford?, Only asking because one of the houses I back on to has a Charlton sticker in the back bedroom window and I’ve been wondering for a while if it’s anyone on here.
  • Options
    Why are there no pubs within a mile and a half north of Catford?
    Because Scottish MP Archibald Corbett bought the land and built the houses around 1895, forming the Corbett Estate.
    He was devoutly religious a reformist and unfortunately for many one might say, an avid abolitionist into the bargain, hence there was an in perpetuity binding covenant put in place that no pubs can be built on the estate, as a result there are noticeably no pubs anywhere in the area.
    All the roads have names of towns and villages in The Western Highlands and the parish church is not unsurprisingly named St. Andrews, which is located at the Torridon Road/Sandhurst Road cross roads......ironically, it would have been a great location for a pub.

Here endeth the lesson..........let us pray.

One of the most fascinating things I’ve learnt in a long time. Think there are Corbett houses located near Eltham Park South and now I think of it, no boozers there either.
  • Options
    Anyone else actually live in Catford?, Only asking because one of the houses I back on to has a Charlton sticker in the back bedroom window and I’ve been wondering for a while if it’s anyone on here.
    I am just about to move back to Catford,  but not yet so not me haha
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    just to add to a couple of things on the thread -

Mountsfield Park was home to non league Catford South End FC - they, not Charlton, were the 'kittens' - they had the two tone blue striped kit first.  Charlton nearly merged with them in the 1920s, playing at Mountsfield Park for a season or two.

The 'running past' blog (think the guy who does it is based somewhere in the Catford / Grove Park / Lee sort of patch) has more here - parts 2 and 3 linked at the bottom of the page

Lack of pubs on the Downham Estate was more London County Council policy rather than an individual developer - there was a bit of a puritan ethic on the LCC (London trams, which were mostly originally run by the LCC, generally didn't use pub names as part of destination displays in the way that buses did)

there was only one pub on the estate*, the Downham Tavern, built as a 'licensed refreshment house' and originally run in a way that tried to be more cafe with table service rather than just a pub.  (the current downham tavern isn't the original - the original was on the same plot, but enormous complete with dance hall - reputed to be the biggest pub in the UK) - there's a bit about it all on the Municipal Dreams blog

* oops - see later post

• Options
    Off_it said:

Catford Mews is now a 3 screen cinema, with food vendors and a bar. 

Blimey. I can still remember when it was Woolworths!
    Really?  I worked in that Woolworths for an eventful 3 days in 1970.   

I had finished my CSEs and had the luxury of a job lined up to start in 8 weeks time.  Dad asked me what my interim plans were and I foolishly told him I was gonna bum around, maybe pop into the school to help out with the cricket team etc. Long story short he went ballistic and I found myself unloading a ton of dried blood from a lorry behind Woolworths on the following Monday morning.  The next  day I was told in no uncertain terms to make myself scarce from the stockroom by a randy couple who didn't need to worry about security cameras.  Day three I resigned in a blaze of glory after the manager handed me a bucket, a pair of pink rubber gloves and a brillo pad.  

Sign of the times I s'pose, but I got myself another temporary job the following day.

BTW does the Mews bit refer to an old courtyard area or the sound that the Catford cat makes?  Good name either way.
  • Options
    I think the Mews comes from the old Woolworths shop being broken up into lots of little individual units (in the 80s/90s?) - there was a cafe in there, loads of stalls selling tat, religious stuff, old clothes etc. 
    This lasted until the council bought the property as part of its redevelopment plans and turfed out all the stalls and gave the lease to Poundland. Even Poundland didn't want two shops in Catford so when they merged with the 99p stores, the empty property was back with the council, who've now got someone in to make it a cinema/bar. 
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    addick05 said:
    Not exactly Downham but the Beechtree (latterly the Hop & Rye) at the top of Bromley Hill closed several weeks' ago and is being knocked down. Quite near to me but the haunt of too many Spanners from Downham for me.
    Downham estate i used to think was a charlton stronghold. only because my grandad (originally from Bermondsey himself. whos on my mums side) and his mates lived there and were all charlton and my dads school mates who are from there are all charlton, bar one. 

Not in my experience, and I've lived in Bromley for 46 years.
    i guess it changed during time as a previous poster who lived on the estate verifies that by the 60s most were millwall. my dads mates were moving out of the area by the mid/late 60s.  
  • Options
    just to add to a couple of things on the thread -

Mountsfield Park was home to non league Catford South End FC - they, not Charlton, were the 'kittens' - they had the two tone blue striped kit first.  Charlton nearly merged with them in the 1920s, playing at Mountsfield Park for a season or two.

The 'running past' blog (think the guy who does it is based somewhere in the Catford / Grove Park / Lee sort of patch) has more here - parts 2 and 3 linked at the bottom of the page

Lack of pubs on the Downham Estate was more London County Council policy rather than an individual developer - there was a bit of a puritan ethic on the LCC (London trams, which were mostly originally run by the LCC, generally didn't use pub names as part of destination displays in the way that buses did)

there was only one pub on the estate, the Downham Tavern, built as a 'licensed refreshment house' and originally run in a way that tried to be more cafe with table service rather than just a pub.  (the current downham tavern isn't the original - the original was on the same plot, but enormous complete with dance hall - reputed to be the biggest pub in the UK) - there's a bit about it all on the Municipal Dreams blog

What about the Northover or Govener General as it later became.? 
  • Options
    Me. No sticker though.
    Nice to be able to walk to good pubs and restaurants and not cab it to Greenwich or Blackheath.
    Saturday had a nice drink in Bottle, a cocktail and beer bar/shop on the Broadway, then as ever a great meal in Pizzeria Italiano and a few beers to follow in Ninth Life. Walked home for Match of the Day.
  • Options
    One of my son's mates lives on Thornsbeach Rd (I think) and they're big Charlton fans. Could be them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There are thousands of Charlton fans in the SE6 area.......without saying which road you or they live on, you’re unlikely to find out just by saying someone in Catford who supports Charlton.
  • Options
    There are thousands of Charlton fans in the SE6 area.......without saying which road you or they live on, you’re unlikely to find out just by saying someone in Catford who supports Charlton.
    I wish they'd go to The Valley then, to boost our attendances by thousands.
    At a random guess, based on traffic, fans on buses etc etc, I would be surprised if we have more than 100/200 S/T holders that live in SE6.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    At a random guess, based on traffic, fans on buses etc etc, I would be surprised if we have more than 100/200 S/T holders that live in SE6.
  • Options
    Not gonna argue with you....100 to 200 season ticket holders!
    You’re having a laugh.
    There always was and always will be a very strong support base from SE6.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Not gonna argue with you....100 to 200 season ticket holders!
    You’re having a laugh.
    There always was and always will be a very strong support base from SE6.
    Airman Brown would know. I'm sure he'll tell us.
    I'll happily apologise if AB tells us we have or recently had more than 200 S/T holders with an SE6 post code.
  • Options
    Not quite Grove Park or Catford but The Summerfield on Baring Road in Lee is a fantastic pub
  • Options
    I'd say we have more season ticket holders without an SE postcode, than with.
  • Options
    We do. There is zero doubt about that.
  • Options
    We do. There is zero doubt about that.
    We have a lot of Kents.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Went through Grove Park today and saw that the Baring Hall opposite the station has shut down.

Not been in there for about 15 years, but it always was a dive so no great loss. However, it got me thinking of all the pubs in that area that have now gone - and most of them were absolutely huge big boozers too.

The Chinbrook and The Teasel are long gone and are now flats.
    The Governor General is now a petrol station.
    The Garden Gate was a Maccy D's last time I went past.
    The Tigers Head (Squire) and Green Man on Bromley Road are both just sitting there empty and derelict.
    Even the Downham Tavern got knocked down and a supermarket built on the site with a much smaller pub at the front.

A lot of these pubs had a bit of a "rep" at one time or another - I guess that's the area for you - but it makes you wonder where people round there go for a quiet sociable cuff these days. Sad really.
    The Saxon Tavern on Southend Lane, now a Lidl.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2019
    red_murph said:
    My old manor as well married a girl from whitefoot terrace used to drink in the governor general think it was called something else before that,it was always a bit lively.For a quieter drink we used to go to the Farwig is that still open?
    Yes but it's members only which is rather strange for a pub. Best pub in Bromley is the Red Lion.
    Agree with you 100% on the Red Lion. Absolutely cracking boozer, always go there when back visiting my folks.
    I was in the Freelands Tavern the day before the Doncaster away play-off game, only 2 minutes from the Red Lion.  This is not bad either, under £4.50 a pint as well.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    addick05 said:
    Not exactly Downham but the Beechtree (latterly the Hop & Rye) at the top of Bromley Hill closed several weeks' ago and is being knocked down. Quite near to me but the haunt of too many Spanners from Downham for me.
    Work colleague tells me that there's a micro pub opened there a few doors up in the old ironmongers shop. Not been there but he was raving about it
    It's been open since late April, it's not bad.  There is another one next to the Bricklayers Arms on Masons Hill.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The pub next to Mountsfield Park was called The Dartmouth Tavern.....50 yards from The Mount, in the park itself, where Charlton played for one season 1923/24 before returning to SE7, they were nicknamed The Kittens (Catford), during that short period and played in light and dark blue vertical striped shirts!
    Johnny Summers used it frequently as he often walked his whippet (Kim) in Mountsfield Park......circa1957/60.
    Yes, my assertion that the Corbett Estate is to the north of Catford is wrong, got my radar wrong there.

did you get to any games that season mate?
  • Options
    Raith_C_Chattonell said:

BTW does the Mews bit refer to an old courtyard area or the sound that the Catford cat makes?  Good name either way.

think it was intentional as a word play sort of thing.

just about remember it as woolworths, then catford mews for some time.  used to drop in to the caff there for a fortnightly treat of tea and toast after signing on the dole in holbeach road in a couple of bits of the mid / late 80s

cashncarry said:What about the Northover or Govener General as it later became.? 
    oops.

i could say i meant 'the first phase of the estate' or 'the southern part of the estate'

or i could just say i dropped a [word i'm not allowed to use on CL any more] and having just read something that mistakenly said the Downham Tavern was the only pub on the estate (and having forgotten about it) said that.  it was late.  i was tired...

or maybe it was the camouflage?  (see another 'running past' blog post)
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    addick05 said:
    Work colleague tells me that there's a micro pub opened there a few doors up in the old ironmongers shop. Not been there but he was raving about it
    It's been open since late April, it's not bad.  There is another one next to the Bricklayers Arms on Masons Hill.
    It use to be a real ale shop but also sold beers from all over the world.
  • Options
    Been there a couple of times and the beer is awful.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    iaitch said:
    Been there a couple of times and the beer is awful.
    What, all of it?
  • Options
    Well the ones I tried were not very good. Mates had different ones and they said they were pretty bad. Beer just smells off.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Moved to Catford from Eltham at the start of the year. Reckon I probably prefer the drinking options on the whole. Shame CCC closed, but enjoy the Tavern and don't even mind an occasional jaunt into the Black Cat for something slightly cheaper, though you'd be foolish to try nab a game on the pool table. Ninth Life is expensive but again is an enjoyable atmosphere inside and out the back.

One pub I haven't seen mentioned just past St Dunstan's is the Blythe Hill Tavern, probably one of my favorite pubs in SE London. Lovely decor inside, great service and a fantastic pint of Guinness. Outside area is absolutely gorgeous as well. Plenty of seating, area for kids and BBQs during summer.

Do miss living a 2 minute walk from the Long Pond though.