Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SKY HD

I've got an HD Box and HD TV but there doesn't seem a big difference between a normal channel and a HD channel. Should the difference be blindingly apparent ?
Also found I'm not actually paying for the HD channels, maybe I'm not getting them ?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    nope probably not getting em!
  • Options
    There are only a handful of HD channels... Even though you have a HD Sky box, not every channel is therefore broadcast in HD...

Also, do you have a HD TV, rather than just a 'HD Ready' TV?
  • Options
    Depends on the quality of your TV, but there should be a very noticeable difference yeah. I've not checked on the newer programming guide, but on the old one there was somewhere where you could tweak the HD Settings, so maybe it's worth looking into that.
  • Options
    If you can actually get on the HD channels then it's working. Try the Sky Sports channels 408 & 409. Also, not all programmes on the HD channels are actually in HD, which may be why you can't really see a difference.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]If you can actually get on the HD channels then it's working. Try the Sky Sports channels 408 & 409. Also, not all programmes on the HD channels are actually in HD, which may be why you can't really see a difference.

Correct too. Press the i button when viewing. On the description you'll see some letters. DS = Dolby etc. HD will be there if the programme is HD
  • Options
    As Plaaayer says, try one of the Sky Sports HD channels to check if you're receiving the subscription HD channels, which you shouldn't be if you're not paying for them, although I get free internet from Sky that I'm supposed to pay for because they cocked up at their end and never realised!

If you're not getting the subscription channels, try watching something on channel 143 BBC HD - all content on there is in HD and is free, ideally when the same show is being smultaneously broadcast on BBC1 or 2 as this will give you a direct comparison between a HD and non HD signal. If you can't tell a difference there then I can only think of 2 other things, although I' m no expert:

1) are you connecting betwen your TV and HD box with a HDMI cable or just an old fashioned Scart lead? If you're not you won't get HD quality pictures

2) There's something wrong with your HD box or your TV.

Apologies if any of this comes across as overly noddy and patronising, as I don't know you I have no idea how much or little you already know about such things!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]If you can actually get on the HD channels then it's working. Try the Sky Sports channels 408 & 409. Also, not all programmes on the HD channels are actually in HD, which may be why you can't really see a difference.

so, yeah, I can actually get the HD channels so must be getting it and must be getting it for free too !! Didn't know that all the programmes on HD were not actually broadcast in HD.
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]There are only a handful of HD channels... Even though you have a HD Sky box, not every channel is therefore broadcast in HD...

what is the difference ??
  • Options
    General Charlton?
  • Options
    As Exiled says are you using a scart (with all the pins in) or a HDMI cable?
  • Options
    A HD Ready TV only displays 720 vertical lines, where as a full HD TV has 1080. A Standard TV has 480 so the difference between a standard TV and a HD ready one isn't that great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you have the latest Sky Guide, all of the programmes which are broadcast in HD are highlighted in orange.

There should be a huge difference between watching a football match in SD and HD. At least there is on my setup.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

so, yeah, I can actually get the HD channels so must be getting it and must be getting it for free too !! Didn't know that all the programmes on HD were not actually broadcast in HD.
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]There are only a handful of HD channels... Even though you have a HD Sky box, not every channel is therefore broadcast in HD...

A HD TV will be able to display the full HD picture... The HD Ready TV is simply able to take a HD connection, but is not able to display the full HD picture...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Apologies if any of this comes across as overly noddy and patronising, as I don't know you I have no idea how much or little you already know about such things!

no worries, not very technically minded.
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]As Exiled says are you using a scart (with all the pins in) or a HDMI cable?

definately an HDMI cable.

looks like I must be getting them if I can actually watch the HD channels, Sports etc, but Sky are letting me do so for free. Will compare tonight again as suggested between normal and HD. Maybe I'm expecting too much !!
  • Options
    The channel where I really notice the difference is the BBC HD one... the nature programmes are mindblowing
  • Options
    Just to add, with Sky HD, it doesn't matter a great deal whether your TV is HD Ready or Full HD. The difference is marginal as the Sky box doesn't broadcast in Full 1080p anyway. It's either 720p or 1080i.

Full HD is really only used for Bluray or PS3/XBOX360 etc.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but a mate is selling his Sky+ box and I'm thinking of buying. Do you have to subscribe to it or can I just stick in my normal Sky viewing card and use the Sky+ facility?
  • Options
    As I said Large not all programmes are in HD on the HD channel but it will have a little HD icon at the top of the screen if it is.

You will really notice the difference when watching the footy or as Medders says when you watch the old animal programmes.

Anyway, I'm just on the phone to Sky to shop you! :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

A HD TV will be able to display the full HD picture... The HD Ready TV is simply able to take a HD connection, but is not able to display the full HD picture...

oh !! But why call it HD Ready then. I thought that would have meant it was ready to take HD pictures
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Slightly off topic but a mate is selling his Sky+ box and I'm thinking of buying. Do you have to subscribe to it or can I just stick in my normal Sky viewing card and use the Sky+ facility?

you have to subcribe to use th recording bit
  • Options
    Slightly off topic.
    Last night I rang sky to to tell them I'm off to virgin HD.
    Sky then gave me a HD box free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]The channel where I really notice the difference is the BBC HD one... the nature programmes are mindblowing

Agreed although mindblowing might be overstating it a bit, but it's definitely pretty obvious when a broadcast is in HD.

Floodlit sport really stands out on my TV, the colours are more vivid I find, especially the green of the pitch. Tonight's Champions Legaue matches might be a good chance to compare and contrast.
  • Options
    Ah, right. So not worth buying the sky+ box then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Ah, right. So not worth buying the sky+ box then?

Yes it is IMO.
    Never miss an episode of X factor or Strickly again.

It is good
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Ah, right. So not worth buying the sky+ box then?

Depends - dou you want to use it with Free Sat or do you subscribe to Sky? If you already subscribe to Sky Sky+ isn't any extra.

You do need two satelite cabels coming in off your dish to give you the maximum benefit though - i.e if you want to be able to watch one channel and record another at the same time.
  • Options

Must admit, I thought that the subscriptions were the same and it was only the box that was different.

One thing you might want to try is what charltonkeston did. Ring up sky and tell them you want to end your subscription and they will probably give you a sky + box to keep you signed up.

As a side point, sky + really is the mutts nuts. One of the very few things where I can honestly say I don't know how I lived without it.
  • Options
    Cheers guys. I've got the normal Sky package so from what you say I should be able to just swap the cards. Nice one.

I need mulit room though - wonder if they'll do that if I threaten to leave?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Cheers guys. I've got the normal Sky package so from what you say I should be able to just swap the cards. Nice one.

I don't see why not, in that case, but I hasten to add I've never tried it myself so don't come and hunt me down if you buy the box and it doesn't work!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    BBC HD channel is free and always in HD when its running, and yes there should be a very noticeable difference

as long as your'e using the hdmi cable it should work fine, don't think you need a new card but you may if you installed an upgrade yourself

HD ready tv should be 720p (progressive) or 1080i (interlaced); full or true HD is 1080p, as someone else said I believe SKY is the former and not broadcast in full HD, you would only be able to get this from a 1080p bluray player or a PS3.

barring all that that the hd box might need to be set to the right resolution for your tv but is most likely on automatic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Agreed although mindblowing might be overstating it a bit.

Go watch Planet Earth and come back to me.... ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Agreed although mindblowing might be overstating it a bit.

Go watch Planet Earth and come back to me.... ;-)

Got the first two episodes of Life stored up to watch and have the Planet Earth Blu ray boxset on my Christmas list - I'm sure it will look superb, but those BBC wildlife docs were always pretty awesome on normal telly!

Thing I've enjoyed most since I got the big telly is Kung Fu Panda on Blu Ray, the colours are spectacular.