Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hope Powell

Rumoured to be the next Grimsby manager. WTF!!

Comments

• Options
    Why not? After all, they are hope-less
  • Options
    Good international record

Got all the coaching badges.

Better qualified than Gareth Southgate or Bryan Robson were when they were given jobs in the Premiership.

Still don't think it will happen this time but sooner or later it will. A female coach will start out doing well with a youth or reserve side and then get promotion.

As Lennie says in his book as a non-league player he had to prove himself very quickly (ie dau one) as a good coach. Once he had done that and won respect he could then move on.
  • Options
    Someone should give her the opportunity, sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    With all due respect to the ladies on here, a female manager is highly unlikely to gain the respect of the players as she has never played in the football league. She may be more tactically aware than many if not all the male managers in the football league, but if you don't get the players respect they will never play for her & she will never stand a chance.

(Disclaimer - This is not a Dig at Females in any way, this is just a football opinion)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]With all due respect to the ladies on here, a female manager is highly unlikely to gain the respect of the players as she has never played in the football league. She may be more tactically aware than many if not all the male managers in the football league, but if you don't get the players respect they will never play for her & she will never stand a chance.

Would the solution be a female director of football with a male manger counterpart?
  • Options
    More down to footballers being thick, but sadly I think you are right Ketters. They could get over a Lawrence, Wenger or Mourinho, but a "no tail"... might be asking a bit much of their tiny brains.

Still would like to see her given a chance though.
  • Options
    Women and Football = No Go

Curb It knows my beliefs that she should only be allowed to go to get Tavs beer end of.

Women should be doing the shopping and preparing meals for their men folk who are returning from their exhausting day at the footie.

We need to have a haven and this is football the "Save Chip" campaign needs to be re ignited with the "No Hope" campaign

i would follow that over land and sea

I aint scared of no Woman so i will not appologise for this Post
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]With all due respect to the ladies on here, a female manager is highly unlikely to gain the respect of the players as she has never played in the football league. She may be more tactically aware than many if not all the male managers in the football league, but if you don't get the players respect they will never play for her & she will never stand a chance.

(Disclaimer - This is not a Dig at Females in any way, this is just a football opinion)

Completely agree.
  • Options
    I see absolutely no reason why a woman could not be a successful manager one day, though i'm not sure we are at that stage yet. They need to break into and do well at youth and reserve and non-league levels of mens football first.

To be a good manager you need to be very organised, a strong personality, be tactically aware, know a good player when you see one, and have excellent man management skills. There is nothing in that list that is out of reach, you just need the breaks and when you get them, take your chances.

It will happen at some stage, and rightly so, and how the first one or two do will have a great influence on whether it will ever be repeated.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I see absolutely no reason why a woman could not be a successful manager one day, though i'm not sure we are at that stage yet. They need to break into and do well at youth and reserve and non-league levels of mens football first.

I just cant ever see it happening. There is no way that semi-pro footballers will respect a woman manager. Pro footballers under contract may be forced to, but players picking up £100 - £500 a week in pyramid football will never let it happen, i think they would simply rather leave and move elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Footballers are employed to work under the direction and guidance of whoever is chosen to be their manager. If they don't like the manager: tough. The individual prejudices of players should be ignored.

In the last couple of dozen years (or so) we've seen female physios, female officials and even female directors. If the professional staff emplyed to direct football clubs, control matches and look after the health and fitness of players (the clubs' biggest assets), then why could women not be emplyed to manage teams?

Excuse the pun, but, while I can't see it happening soon, I hope it does.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]
    I just cant ever see it happening. There is no way that semi-pro footballers will respect a woman manager.

I'm sure they said the same about the chance of a female Prime Minister 40 years ago.

As others have insinuated, the whole respect thing counts for little. Players respect comes from experience, and within the first couple of sessions on the training ground they would either buy into, or not. If she was good, they would soon lose their prejudices, don't worry.
  • Options
    you lot are just scared of women

"no Hope"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    I just cant ever see it happening. There is no way that semi-pro footballers will respect a woman manager.

I'm sure they said the same about the chance of a female Prime Minister 40 years ago.

As others have insinuated, the whole respect thing counts for little. Players respect comes from experience, and within the first couple of sessions on the training ground they would either buy into, or not. If she was good, they would soon lose their prejudices, don't worry.

Took the words out of my mouth.

The lack of respect argument has been used at every stage of women moving into what were seen as traditionally male leadership roles. Female managers and Directors in business, Prime Ministers, Officers in the armed forces and police, etc etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]you lot are just scared of women

"no Hope"

I know you are on a wind up but I think it's more likely to be the other way round ; -)
  • Options
    Give us Hope!
  • Options
    ALL WE ARE SAYING IS GIVE HOPE A CHANCE
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Took the words out of my mouth.

The lack of respect argument has been used at every stage of women moving into what were seen as traditionally male leadership roles. Female managers and Directors in business, Prime Ministers, Officers in the armed forces and police, etc etc.

All im saying is that could you imagine, say, a woman becomes manager of Thamesmead Town. I believe most players would leave almost instantly and then the squad would be made up of whats left. The results would suffer and the whole 'women manager thing' would be a failure. The Professions you have listed are, well, professions. Perhaps it may work one day at senior level, as the players must respect the manager as its their job on the line. Im saying i cant see it working from semi-pro level and then escalating upwards.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Rumoured to be the next Grimsby manager. WTF!!

where ?
  • Options
    whats the story about a player who yelled at Karen Brady that he could see her nipples through her blouse... who was he? he got transfer listed the next day to a lower league team i believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but why would the Thamesmead Town players leave immediately?

After a few moans and jokes about walking around the dressing room naked why would they leave? If she was a decent coach and picking them in the side they might think "hang on, this is working well, I'll stay. It's no different from having a female boss in my day job".
  • Options
    Abbey Wood School, producers of talent, Steve Davis, Hope Powell.

Me
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Abbey Wood School, producers of talent, Steve Davis, Hope Powell.

Me

2 out of 3 aint bad : - )

Didn't realise she was local. Perfect for Thamesmead town then
  • Options
    Its short sighted to say never. Youngsters are used to females being involved in football so its not strange for them. In 10 years at most it will happen.

The world changes, no point trying to resist or reject.
  • Options

just like josé mourinho
  • Options

Jose Mourinho never played professionally either...
  • Options
    As long as it is done on merit and not tokenism or novelty factor i couldnt care either way.

Personally i dont think she has achieved a lot...anyone who watched the england germany final the other month will see that.

The womens game is domestically and internationally dominated by a few and therefore very uncompetitive.

If she is interested and wants to prove herself in the mens game then good luck to her but she would immediately become the most under pressure manager in the game as the media spotlight would be aching for her to fail.

To be honest i would have taken her over parkinson at the end of last season though.
  • Options
    "I'm sure they said the same about the chance of a female Prime Minister 40 years ago."

We've only had 1 though!!!

Women have womens team they can manage, leave it there.

The womens game is on par with Sunday league football and also just cos any coach (male or female) gets 'coaching badges' why does that mean they are a good coach? Ive meet plenty of people that are dripping with qualifications but they are awful at their job!!
  • Options
    Tactically shes not very good
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Abbey Wood School, producers of talent, Steve Davis, Hope Powell.

Me

2 out of 3 aint bad : - )

Didn't realise she was local. Perfect for Thamesmead town then

Yep, she was a year above me in the early 80's, used to run rings around all of us lads at lunchtime kick abouts.