Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hope Powell

2»

Comments

• Options
    I know if we had been introduced to a new Womens Team Manager when I was playing semi-pro half if not all the team would have walked & played elsewhere the next week. Sorry that is a fact & would happen at most sides that level where they are not tied into contracts. As for Pro Players well we all saw how the Charlton players played for Les Reed (Who they clearly did not want as manager) so they provided their own protest on the pitch till he was sacked. They would simply not play for a woman.

Also how would you all feel if she was offered the job at Charlton tomorrow, I'll bet 100% of you would say no thanks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]

Also how would you all feel if she was offered the job at Charlton tomorrow, I'll bet 100% of you would say no thanks.

if it was the countdown bird offered the charlton job tomorrow i would take the countdown bird
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Abbey Wood School, producers of talent, Steve Davis, Hope Powell.

Me
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Abbey Wood School, producers of talent, Steve Davis, Hope Powell.

Me

Paul Walsh....

lol
  • Options
    "No Hope" dont let Curb It win save Tav
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]but why would the Thamesmead Town players leave immediately?

After a few moans and jokes about walking around the dressing room naked why would they leave? If she was a decent coach and picking them in the side they might think "hang on, this is working well, I'll stay. It's no different from having a female boss in my day job".

I believe it wouldnt go down well with the players that i played semi-pro football with around Kent. Of course im not speaking for all semi-pro players, but the general vibe i get is that most clubs and players are fairly old fashioned in their views. Plus its not difficult to change clubs at that level and may seem a better option than playing under a women (oo-er).
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2009
    Or Wendy Hurrell as manager, from BBC news weather.

wh1.JPG
  • Options
    The only thing holding this idea back would be prejudices within whichever playing sqaud the first female manager inherits. If she's lucky and starts working with a resonably open minded bunch she may get time to win over any doubters, if the playing squad are against her from the start (as seemed the case with Les Reed) she may never get enough results early in her career to build a reputation with her players. A lot will also depend on her chairman having the courage of his convictions to stick with her if she doesn't get off to a flyer.

I wish her all the best if it comes off for her though - she's got more balls than me if she sticks herself in the firing line like that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Rumoured to be the next Grimsby manager. WTF!!

where ?

I have yet to see this rumoured anywhere. Lot's of speculation, lots of names, but none of them hers that I can see.
  • Options
    Back in the 70's, I remember Win Jones used to be manager of Charlton Supporters FC, who played in the Woolwich & District League.

She did a decent job and her team seemed happy playing for her.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]The only thing holding this idea back would be prejudices within whichever playing sqaud the first female manager inherits. If she's lucky and starts working with a resonably open minded bunch she may get time to win over any doubters, if the playing squad are against her from the start (as seemed the case with Les Reed) she may never get enough results early in her career to build a reputation with her players. A lot will also depend on her chairman having the courage of his convictions to stick with her if she doesn't get off to a flyer.

This is all true. But it's also all equally true for both men and women.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ketman is right, players at non league level where there's no contracts would in most cases up and leave for a new club. It may however be different at a league club where players have contracts as they couldn't just go.
    So perhaps it'd be better for her to go straight into the pro game rather than come up through the semi-pro ranks.
    I do however feel she should be a coach or an assistant at a league club first, to get the experience.

As for those saying 'well Mourinho wasn't a player either', that's a ridiculous example. He started out as Bobby Robsons interpreter and worked with him at the likes of Porto and Barca learning how things were done. Then he was manager at Benfica and someone else before becoming Porto manager. So it's fair to say he worked his way up.
  • Options
    They were talking about this on the radio the other week - Talkshoite I think.

Personally I think it will happen sooner or later but if I am being honest I would be astounded if a team fighting for it's league survival would take such a risk. They are not yet doomed but I think it might be a bridge too far for a first job in league football.