Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky: Gills just as big a derby as Millwall

edited October 2009 in General Charlton
Am very unconvinced myself but there you go

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/4698186.Parky__Gills_just_as_big_a_derby_as_Millwall/

Comments

• Options
    Uh oh - this is going to get interesting. Not even close...
  • Options
    “It isn’t like Charlton playing Rochdale.”

Careful Mr P!
  • Options
    Couldn't care less about the Gills to be honest. Until this season hadn't ever given them a second thought!
  • Options
    Now he's just being silly!
  • Options
    Parky Out.

Sorry maybe it's a big game to some of you who live in Kent but not to me.

Millwall then Palace then West Ham. Maybe Gills are in there somewhere near Chelsea and Orient.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Parky Out.

Sorry maybe it's a big game to some of you who live in Kent but not to me.

Millwall then Palace then West Ham. Maybe Gills are in there somewhere near Chelsea and Orient.
    Millwall then Millwall Reserves then Palace, then the Millwall lioness (slags!) then the Nigel U11s then the Gills.
  • Options
    Aslong as it means we pull out a win then I'm happy with whatever he ranks the biggest derby.
  • Options
    Of course it's a big game - it's the Kent derby. And it's the first time we've played at Priestfield in the league since 1980, when we won 1-0 thanks to a goal from Killer just on the stroke of half-time. That game, by the way, was our 14th without defeat in a run of 15 unbeaten games. We got promoted at the end of that season and we've never been in the same division as Gillingham since. Hopefully that's a happy precedent. So yes, I totally agree with Parky. Big, big game...
  • Options
    Parky, you are seriously misguided here. Big as Millwall - not a chance.

It's not even a recognised derby game.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Its a big game yea, but we are a London club not a Kent club post codes tell all, i agree with Henry. Also Gills dont really have a derby i would say they belive it is a derby but for us its not really. Millwall, Palace, West ham, Oreint, Chelsea, Even Spurs or Aresnal are more of a derby cos we are a London club not a Kent club our sposors may be from Kent but the club is a London club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree its not a derby, our proper derbies are with Palace and Millwall. All Gillingham seem to do is harp on about them being the only team in Kent blah blah. Well I agree, we are a London club. It's like calling Brighton Palace a derby!
  • Options
    its a big game for them,they could beat us every week and they would mean zilch,saying that really want to stuff them.
  • Options
    no chance, but then he is not a Charlton supporter
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: FTP[/cite]no chance, but then he is not a Charlton supporter

Wot team does he support i never found out?
  • Options
    if i had to guess randomly i would say leciester
  • Options
    Charlton - along with Deptford, Greenwich, Woolwich, Lee, Eltham, Kidbrooke and Lewisham - was part of Kent until 1889. Kent County Cricket Club played first class cricket just up the road from Charlton at the Rectory Field in SE3 into the 1970s. So for me CAFC v the Gills is definitely a Kentish derby!
  • Options
    but it's not Charlton V Millwall.
  • Options
    Careful peeps, or we'll sound like Palace fans!

It's clearly a game with a bit more edge than usual given all Scally's schenanigans over recent seasons and I've read a good few degoritory comments on here about Gills.

To try and put it in the same bracket as Millwall is massively over playing though, perhaps Parky is portraying a certain personal dislike he feels after Gills handling of the Dickson saga.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Charlton - along with Deptford, Greenwich, Woolwich, Lee, Eltham, Kidbrooke and Lewisham - was part of Kent until 1889. Kent County Cricket Club played first class cricket just up the road from Charlton at the Rectory Field in SE3 into the 1970s. So for me CAFC v the Gills is definitely a Kentish derby!

Was part of Kent until 1889, you must be old if you remember that then!
  • Options
    And never will be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7 = London ME7 = Medway Kent. Two different countys therfore how can it be a derby as i said Arsenal and Spurs are both more like derbys as they are in London. Thats the way i thought it worked for derbys surely you have to at least be in the same county also 1889 CAFC wasn't even born then so surely that makes it a London club.
  • Options
    Parky is quite right to point out the importance of the game and the extra edge because of the proximity but saying it was a big as Millwall was over egging the cake.

Players and coaches see things differently to fans anyway but well done to Parky for stressing the importance to the players.

Phil was born in Chorley, Lancashire so based on location that would make him a Bolton, Blackburn, Preston, City or United fan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Careful peeps, or we'll sound like Palace fans!

It's clearly a game with a bit more edge than usual given all Scally's schenanigans over recent seasons and I've read a good few degoritory comments on here about Gills.

To try and put it in the same bracket as Millwall is massively over playing though, perhaps Parky is portraying a certain personal dislike he feels after Gills handling of the Dickson saga.

I agree it will have more bite than most fixture but to call it a derby is a bit extreme and to say its as big a derby as Millwall well thats just wrong.
  • Options
    Or Burnley Henry?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We should get parky on here to tell us which club he supports mmmmmmmmm. got me thinking now
  • Options
    I’ve seen it referred to on Wikipedia as the “Kent derby” before so I guess it must be a derby !

But in reality, it’s all about Palace.
  • Options
    as long as the players are up for it who cares what he says.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ''Thats the way i thought it worked for derbys surely you have to at least be in the same county also 1889 CAFC wasn't even born then so surely that makes it a London club.''

Don't think anybody said Charlton isn't a London club, did they? Merely that the club resides within the historical boundaries of Kent and - if you look at the Valley Express route maps printed in the match day programme - CAFC has a vast hinterland in Kent from which we buss in a very sizeable number of supporters.

And I'm certainly not aware of any rule that says it's only a derby if it's within the same county. Have you told the supporters of Ipswich and Norwich that?

Really not sure why people want to talk down the derby aspect of this game when Parky clearly believes that talking it up will help motivate the team to go out there and secure our first away win since Tranmere way back in August ?

And no.It's not Charlton v Millwall. It's...er, Charlton v Gillingham !!!
  • Options
    Chorley FM - Coming in your Ears!

Any Peter Kay fan will tell you the local side to Chorely is Bolton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]CAFC has a vast hinterland in Kent

What an awsome quote !