Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky: Gills just as big a derby as Millwall

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't think anybody said Charlton isn't a London club, did they? Merely that the club resides within the historical boundaries of Kent and - if you look at the Valley Express route maps printed in the match day programme - CAFC has a vast hinterland in Kent from which we buss in a very sizeable number of supporters

So West Ham must be an Essex club then because they have more fans in Essex than in East London???

And I'm certainly not aware of any rule that says it's only a derby if it's within the same county. Have you told the supporters of Ipswich and Norwich that?

There are no other teams around them on their level though are their? We have Palace and Millwall down the road!

Really not sure why people want to talk down the derby aspect of this game when Parky clearly believes that talking it up will help motivate the team to go out there and secure our first away win since Tranmere way back in August ?

I'm happy for him to talk up the game if it gets us the win, but to say its a bigger game than Millwall does not reflect the feelings of the majority of our support! Think he'd personally love to win this game though COYR!

Just realised Saints and Pompey are both in Hampshire!
  • Options
    in reality it is not about palace,its millwall always will be,i just hope this selling out quick at gillingham will be repeated when we travel to the den for our usual meek playing perfomance.
  • Options
    Parky did his apprenticeship with Southampton so who knows maybe his family moved that way whilst he was still young and he is a Saints or Pompey fan. Then again maybe it is Bolton, Burnley etc.
  • Options
    ''to say its a bigger game than Millwall does not reflect the feelings of the majority''

I hate to sound pedantic, but I don't think that's what Parky said, is it?
  • Options
    Palace has a London postcode but we say the are in Surrey not London....
  • Options
    GILLINGHAM is just as big a derby game for Charlton as Millwall, according to Valley supremo Phil Parkinson.

So does he mean the players, him or the club as a whole? anyway pointless getting into a tit for tat let's just hope we get the three points!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]as long as the players are up for it who cares what he says.

quite so. Far too much over analysis of what managers at all clubs say IMHO.

Parky can read out the phone book for all I care just as long as we are winning.

PS talking of managers why do Match Attack cards now feature managers as well as players? What is the world coming to?
  • Options
    The other thing everyone has overlooked is that Gillingham regard us as their derby match - indeed, their only one. Sure, we've got Millwall and Palace. But if they regard it as their absolutely crucial derby and we insist it isn't a deby at all, then we are handing them the competitive edge, aren't we? Which on top of their home advantage, will probably sink us. So I repeat : well said, Parky!
  • Options
    well it's no charlton v margate imho
  • Options
    I think Gills hate Swindon more than us, but I’m not sure if that qualifies as a “derby”.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    one way swindon.
  • Options
    I do see were you are coming from Nigel and ultimatly i agree with you i still will not consider it a derby but if parky plays it up as one to our players and it means we win then i am not complaying. So long as we win who cares. Plus the Norwich Ipswic thing your right i diddnt think of that. I learn something new every day on here lol :-)
  • Options
    Its certainly a local game, not sure whether you can call it a "derby" like Millwall or Palace, but you can't deny the fact that many fans on saturday will have less to travel to this game than a home game at the Valley !
  • Options
    Dont think any team really sees us as their "main" rivals to be honest.
  • Options
    it's obviously a big match witness how quickly our allocation went and the fact there will be a fair few CAFC in the home ends (when did that last happen please Ooh Ahh?)

As someone who grew up in SE7 and now lives in North London it's just another game to me but we have a lot of fans from the Medway area and for them it's clearly an important match - prob. 2nd biggest of the season after Millwall
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ask him after the December game at The Valley.

Mind where you park your car eh, erm, Parky. . . . .

Swindon is the Gills big game, which about sums them up.
  • Options
    Can't stand Gills but not sure if it is up there will Milwall, certainly not Palace. On the other hand, can't stand Scally (he is up there with Jordan).
  • Options
    It has to be a 'local' derby game because of the proximity of the two clubs - in the same way as its a local derby when we play Millwall, Southend, Orient etc. Its clearly not a Kent derby though because Charlton is a London club - you can't seriously go back to 1899 (or whatever date it was) otherwise Millwall and Woolwich Arsenal would also be Kent teams!

We have been looking forward to this on our side mainly because of the agressive 'we are a Kent club' marketing of your board that really pisses us off and also because of the famous incident that you always deny of the valley express leaflets being handed outside our ground when we went into adminsitartion. The Dickson saga has added more spice I guess eventhough I don't suppose any of us really know what haoppended.

It should be a great atmosphere - a priestfield packed full of pikeys with a large away following is one of the best grounds I've been too for noise. All three home stands at Gills make noise at games like this. I do think you guys are right though that the first goal will be very important because we see, to have fragile confidence at the moment. When we are confident we look very decent going forward so it may not be as easy as you think though as if Jackson, Weston and Barcham are on their game because they can run defences ragged with their pace.

Should be a good fixture.
  • Options
    If 2,500 Charlton fans can make enough noise to convince the players that Parky's right and they need to take this game seriously and come away with three points, I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Another possible factor is that we haven't come up against the Gills in the league for almost 30 years, whereas we've played Millwall and Crystal Palace pretty regularly. If you don't ever actually get to play against a team, then the rivalry is inevitably going to diminish. I certainly remember Charlton v The Gills being a biggish rivalry in the 1960s/70s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this is a big game for charltons kent pikey contingent ....but millwall is the biggest and only local rival game to true sarf london scumbags like me who support charlton...

in answer to kinv ... prolly plough lane in the 80's not exactly a regular occurence is it !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]this is a big game for charltons kent pikey contingent ....but millwall is the biggest and only local rival game to true sarf london scumbags like me who support charlton...

in answer to kinv ... prolly plough lane in the 80's not exactly a regular occurence is it !

Agree but to Millwall it is just another game to them. Yeah theyll turn out in numbers and the "pwopa naughty" element will be rife but that'll be down to the fact its practically a home game for them.

Very much doubt they looked at the fixure list in the same way they look out for their leeds game or what they would for west ham or chelsea etc.

We dont have any real truly equally reciprocated rivalry with anyone id say. Maybe palace lately but even then theyd rather Brighton.
  • Options
    Kentisblueandwhite.....Can't remember the club ever saying we are a Kent club only recognising that a large amount of people from our area have now moved to Kent. It's business sense to market at them. If you lot are unwilling/unable to see that then that's up to you. Maybe Scally should try doing something instead of just moaning and blaming others.

Also not sure we deny the leafleting at your ground happend. What we do deny is the fact that is was a large concerted effort by loads of people backed by CAFC who were doing it, which is what you lot have ramped it up to be over the years. It was a few misguided individuals from the local supporters club, a couple of who i understand got an understandable slap. Plus it was nothing to do with Valley Express which wasn't in existance then.

It is a local rivalry fuelled a little by the Gills dislike of us and their chairmans desperation to hide his bad running of the club by blaming us. Because of this i do see it as a bit more important than most other games, but in reality it's nothing much.
  • Options
    up to a point rodders but i know all the millwall fans i know are gagging for our fixture due to me sneering down my nose at them for 13 years .... they want to beat us badly ... i had plenty of congratulation texts when we got relegated .....
  • Options
    I have no problem with Parky billing it as a derby match because Gills will be up for it and we had better be as well if we want to get something out of it.

Is it really a derby game not as far as I am concerned. I didn't know the place existed till the 70's when I went to live in Rainham for a few years.
  • Options
    I think there's some severe over-analysis going on here.

Gillingham, Scally especially have never been enamoured by us in recent times. Parky has seen that first hand over the summer.

I personally think he's just trying to gee the lads up and explain to them that it's a "localish" game, Gillingham will be up for it and so should we be. If they are going to raise their game 50% for us, we need to match that and not stroll in as normal or the lads will get a shock. Mind games and motivation tactics is all it is.
  • Options
    palace loathe us the geeks never have a day off talking about us,i feel rather embarrsed for people on here who are talking up a rilvary with gillingham,we dont play them,they have no fans,and there history is a club in the lower leagues,want to beat because of scally.
  • Options
    Gillingham fookin hate us, make no bones about that

I live amongst the vermin (although 90% of them support one of the big four) and hope we really smash them up. So for me it is a big, big game for pride. As far as football and history etc goes they are not in our league. However like those of you who live in SE London when we have Millwall of Palace it is all about prode and shutting the mouths of these thick gypo's.

This is a derby
  • Options
    One of the Millwall forums (north stand banter) has a poll - which game are they looking forward to the most. Charlton have walked it.
  • Options
    Does it matter?