Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney and Steve Sutherland @ Bromley Addicks 10/11/2009

Comments

• Options
    finally because I can't remember much else (the rest of you feel free to join in) a Lifer asked "do we have too much coverage/news about Charlton now compared to 15/20 years ago pre-internet.

SS told a funny story about Clubcall being the sole daily news source and how he had got lots of complaints one day because Peter Burrows had done an interview with the kit lady who had explained at length how she washed the socks first and which detergent she used.

PV "so which detergent was it?"
    SS "Omo, it was Omo"

SS went on to say how much he hates message boards and would gladly have punched the light out of all the people who moaned about the JD sports deal. He said some people think that you just shout down a well when you need a new sponsor but after a lot of hard work getting one of the biggest retailer in the land all he got was "chavy" or "don't like the colours". He did say that he had signed up to a message board (can't remember which one : - ) ) to thank people when he left CAFC.

SS and PV was asked about the supporters' trust and both said that feedback was important. SS said he'd like to know what the aims of the trust are but in principle like the idea. PV said that in any business feedback is important and that if, for example, one aim of the trust was to secure the Valley he'd back it as would SS.

Asked about the community trust (which both SS and PV sit on the board of and SS had come straight from a street violence committee meeting) they both said how important the work was with 350,000+ people, really helping to raise our profile which was a major factor in getting the Llanera deal and others and really made a difference. The Tiller (sp) award from the Police was for actually making a real contribution to crime reduction. They were both really committed to CACT and also asked that everyone support the Down's Syndrome team on People's millions on 26 November.
  • Options
    And the next time someone says "you never get to find out what happens at these Bromley meetings" you can go and stick your keyboard up your a***, sideways : - )
  • Options
    well done henry ....tyvm ... anyone else want to add anything he may have missed or take the easy route of he's summed it up perfectly!!
  • Options
    Henry - do you have a tape recorder? did you take notes? or was that all from memory? If its the memory option then you should go on Mastermind!

Thanks for the update. PV always seems to have a sense of humour about this kind of thing and appears to be an all round nice egg. SS is, and always will be a legend!

Couple of things that strike me -

1 - Left sided player = Bailey out of favour? or maybe Holden not good enough?
    2 - "Unfortunately PV wouldn't say much about the Elephant Man as litigation may still take place although PV said in some ways a court case would be better than a settlement as the fans would finally hear what happened"
    this intrigues me greatly
  • Options
    I hate all this cloak and dagger stuff, I wish someone would just tell us far off Addicks what was said!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]glad you said it soundas as I was pondering actually posting the amount,what ever feelings people have about Dowie PV said we recouped a lot of what was spent,but Alan Pardew as far as I am concerned has taken this club back over 20 years in the space of 18 months,words cannot express my feelings for the man.

Given that fact maybe we as a fanbase should show more tolerance for Parky's position.

No wonder he hasn't had any money to work with!
    can't believe we spent way over we got for Darren Bent on these three, thanks Pardew.
  • Options
    some other things.

Luke Varney - took three days to do the deal as Dario insisted on clauses for England appearances. PV gave this as an example of how difficult it is sometimes to get it right over players.

AC used to almost watch players too much but he wanted to know all about them, their habits/wives etc but that was the reason that team spirit was good because the right types were bought. This was contrasted with last season and decisions being made very quickly.

Said AC came to a board meeting saying he'd seen this kid at Ipswich 15 times and they they were playing him out wide but he would be good for us playing down the middle.

PV resigned on the night we beat Stoke 1 - 0 and were 5th. Tony Pullis said that night that Stoke couldn't compete with what we had on the bench and that Charlton were on the way back to the prem.

PV said that the club spent a month from when Parker said he wanted to go to Chelsea trying to convince him to stay or at least stay until the end of the season but added that "we'd already lost him as a player" ie mentally and in training he wasn't there. Cited this as an example of why it's not always possible to keep players if they decide they want to go.

Swisdom, I did a mind map for the first bit with some memory joggers but after that gave up.
  • Options
    Brilliant sum up HI.

Two things struck me last night:

1. PV appeared a lot more relaxed than he did previously. Clearly a refreshed character and great to see.
    2. I 100% feel the club is in better hands again just by the fact he is involved. The great shame for me that it is as a director and not as a Chairman or Chief Executive, with respect to those that hold those positions.
  • Options
    Would PV get involved in the Supporters Trust at all?
  • Options
    Luke Varney = England appearances......LMFAO

great summing up, cheers Henry - that did make me chuckle though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Would PV get involved in the Supporters Trust at all?

PV said he felt pressure groups were important in any business, and he felt that if one of the key aims of the Trust was to try and ensure that Charlton remained at The Valley then it would be worth endorsing, or something along those lines.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Luke Varney = England appearances......LMFAO

He was a U21 international and as PV said Dario is usually a good judge. Easy to laugh at it now but then...
  • Options
    Fine piece of work, Henry. I laugh at the funny mind map things my colleague does at the office, but I'll have to reconsider now.
  • Options
    One point I'd like to ask is why did PV keep scratching his chest arms & shoulders all the time? made me feel itchy
  • Options
    Oh yes...not sure if this has already been mentioned so sorry if it has.
    PV went out of his way more than once to confirm that takeover talks are 'still' on-going....naturaly he wouldn't say more....but I (as I'm sure were all those present) was heartened to hear this.
    He also said that there have been/are four different organisations who were serious contenders.
    There had been a few daft enquries from a few nutters along the way.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]PV explained that his role is twofold. 1. to get £10m of re-investment in place and that is, bar some paperwork, done.

Henry, excellant work, thanks. One question. The £10 re-investment mentioned, does that include the £7m announced recently or in addition to that ?
  • Options
    including the 7 Large
  • Options
    I'm heartened by what I've read in this thread, particularly around what PV's doing for the club. The question I ask myself is where does this leave Waggy? Because it seems to me he must have a very much watered down role compared to whet PV used to do when he was CEO.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Luke Varney = England appearances......LMFAO

Danny Murphy, Rob Jones and several others started out at Crewe and ended up as England internationals...

Mind you Sven gave out England caps for nothing.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]we should bring back dowie ... he was undefeated in the cup!![/quote]

Humph.

Are you the "kid in Essex with £5.50 in his Halifax account who wakes up one morning and wants to buy a football club". ?????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the reports Henners...
  • Options
    DPFC, didn't realise you were there. Did you hear it all OK and where were you sitting. I'd saved you a seat near the front.

Soundas, I said that!!! : - )

Valley, PV was asked about why we still had a CEO, a Dep CEO and a MD.

If I remember this correctly (someone pls confirm) he said that when he was there he ran the club, Richard Murray did the transfer (the business not the picking who) and Curbs ran the team.

When he went it was changed so Steve Waggot looks after the transfers. He added that in a time of major financial re-structuring there was a lot of work and pressure on the financial people (by which I assume he meant Steve Kavanagh and Nigel Capelin but I may be incorrect) but that as a league 1 club with no takeover all aspects of the clubs structure would have to be looked and the top management would be one of them.

Large, as No.1 said, including the £7m. It wasn't elaborated on as to how the £10m was made up.
  • Options
    Brillaint work Henry, thanks.

"Said AC came to a board meeting saying he'd seen this kid at Ipswich 15 times and they they were playing him out wide but he would be good for us playing down the middle."

I love this. I miss AC :(
  • Options
    Henry, thank you very much - really enlightening.

That's why I moan so much when we don't get reports - and I now know what I'm missing ;-)
  • Options
    Thanks for an informative evening, and it was good to meet some faces behind the names, Good bunch of friendly well informed supporters.
    I thought that PV looked confident and relaxed about the questions and as I have thought for a long time is a wise pair of hands to steer Charlton through the troubled times we now have at the valley.

He seemed to have an open opinion about the trust, and it was refreshing to see that even SS saw a place for better communication with the fans, and more transparency, although I think SS still feels things should be kept in house and managed he seemed to question the motives' of the trust. PV seemed to take a more relaxed view of things, and it was good to see the two agreeing that the relationship the board had with the fans, was important, and that the relationship that some of the fans had felt upset by events of last year were acknowleged. There was talk about the Billy Davies affair and they both seemed baffled as to why he had not come to Charlton! they seemed puzzled by Davies who just did not return the phone calls after accepting to do the job.......

I asked a question about the young players which I do not think was fully answered, and I hope to press the chairman on this subject in the meeting with the chairman. I enjoyed the evening and thanks once again for the invite, be interested in joining the branch.
  • Options
    Thanks Ken,

We'll take £5 off you for membership next meeting.

We believe that if you offer free entry and no membership requirement for most meetings people are more likely to make the initial trip to see what it is like. If we said you had to pay £5 to join before you seen a meeting I think that would put people off trying the meetings out.

There will always be a few we come to all the meetings and dodge paying for membership but most people see £5 a year for 6 meetings with the likes of Lennie Lawrence, Scott Minto, Phil Parkinson, some current players and Richard Murray as good value and are happy to pay to keep the group going.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Henry, thank you very much - really enlightening.

That's why I moan so much when we don't get reports - and I now know what I'm missing ;-)

If only there was a whisper facility on Charlton Life : - )
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, it reminded me why I enjoy coming to this site. Something I have questioned recently.
  • Options
    bump for suthers
  • Options
    Just found this thread as I have kept away from the site today.

Many thanks to Henry and the rest of you for your feedback from the meeting.