Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

gillingham v charlton - post match views

Comments

• Options
    There was a used nappy on the train home. What a backwards town.

Point gained, they were the better team in my opinion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]There was a used nappy on the train home. What a backwards town.

probably one of the Bromley lot...
  • Options
    It was definitely 2 points lost as we should never ever draw with such a bad side even in cr.p weather. Someone on the list said it was a point won because leeds lost ? I cannot understand that reasoning surely 3 points is what we needed. It seems that we cannot hold to a lead and that maybe just maybe Parkinson isn't the Messiah. He was doing really well at the beginning of the season so the doubters turned around and thought hey.. maybe the bloke is good enough after all. I don't think he is ... granted he has won several games... but the team now seems out of juice / ideas, its pointless earning 1 point and its becoming a trend for the team. Lucky Uddersfield are crap otherwise that would also have been a draw. Maybe the team should just play really well every two games and the young ones should play the others.. so we would pretty much be guaranteed 3 points every two game and if we are lucky the young ones would get a draw every now which would result to a better point per game ratio.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]There was a used nappy on the train home. What a backwards town.

probably one of the Bromley lot...

PMSL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ray traecy[/cite]we were shit today full stop. i was in away end, cldnt hear charlton one bit. u all give it , but ur all full of shit. oh well , were charlton.

Ray,

In the trouble today thread you told us you were in the upper tier of the home end "having a crack with the locals".

Can you explain your ability to be in two stands at the same time?.

Having a crack or talking out of it?.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]It was definitely 2 points lost as we should never ever draw with such a bad side even in cr.p weather. Someone on the list said it was a point won because leeds lost ? I cannot understand that reasoning surely 3 points is what we needed. It seems that we cannot hold to a lead and that maybe just maybe Parkinson isn't the Messiah. He was doing really well at the beginning of the season so the doubters turned around and thought hey.. maybe the bloke is good enough after all. I don't think he is ... granted he has won several games... but the team now seems out of juice / ideas, its pointless earning 1 point and its becoming a trend for the team. Lucky Uddersfield are crap otherwise that would also have been a draw. Maybe the team should just play really well every two games and the young ones should play the others.. so we would pretty much be guaranteed 3 points every two game and if we are lucky the young ones would get a draw every now which would result to a better point per game ratio.

Can't be bothered to pick the post apart.

Congratulations on posting the the most ridiculous comment of the day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE7 Expat[/cite]It was definitely 2 points lost as we should never ever draw with such a bad side even in cr.p weather. Someone on the list said it was a point won because leeds lost ? I cannot understand that reasoning surely 3 points is what we needed. It seems that we cannot hold to a lead and that maybe just maybe Parkinson isn't the Messiah. He was doing really well at the beginning of the season so the doubters turned around and thought hey.. maybe the bloke is good enough after all. I don't think he is ... granted he has won several games... but the team now seems out of juice / ideas, its pointless earning 1 point and its becoming a trend for the team. Lucky Uddersfield are crap otherwise that would also have been a draw. Maybe the team should just play really well every two games and the young ones should play the others.. so we would pretty much be guaranteed 3 points every two game and if we are lucky the young ones would get a draw every now which would result to a better point per game ratio.

"It's pointless earning 1 point" PMSL - that's up there with the Bobby Robson/ Kevin Keegan classics.

The rest of what you say is also about as senseless :-(
  • Options
    Agree with earlier comment re. the subbing for Mooney - McLeod's limitations were there for all to see, but he still unsettles defences, and kept at it even after his mishaps. Burton on the other hand, clearly needs a "rest". Whether becuase of his hernia, or simple loss of form, he now resembles last season's pre-Norwich model, rather than the one of August / September. Don't pretend to know the best forward combo, but we clearly need to pose more of a thrteat up front to maintain the lofty position few of us thought likely. With the two wide players largely ineffective yesterday, it would've been nice to see Racon or even Semedo surge through to make the difference, but the aptly named Nutter provided our only significant attempt until the last few mins.

Special mention for Basey who, despite a natural lack of genuine pace, stormed forward with two excellent late crosses that might well have been converted. Again, the best performances came from defenders (& Robbie).
  • Options
    Ray, spell check required on your user name - it's Treacy!
  • Options
    Fans around me yesterday calling for Dicko to be recalled ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    regarding their pitch, its like that every week. Its the way their boss wants the pitch.
  • Options
    I am sure the pitch wouldn't have been a surprise to the players and they would have been completely prepared by parky.
  • Options
    lucky to get a point, they were not much better, but we made the keeper make 1 (ONE) save and you can't expect to get anything doing that. Defence apart we were awful all over the pitch. Racon and Bailey in paerticular have got to start doing more, they are coasting games and it ain't good enough. If Burton performance is being affected by his hernia then get it done and sorted even if he is out for three or four weeks, he is no use to us at the moment as he is. Let's see what Mooney is about. All in all, very poor, last away win was in August, must do much, much better. MOM Youga, our most dangerous attacker, says it all.
  • Options
    My initial thoughts weren't much different to those of LargeAddick's to be honest. I haven't really played football (unless losing to Herne Bay ladies 7-1 counts), and so I genuinely don't know how much the pitch and the wind affected the game. But as the conditions were the same for both teams, I would still have expected us to be better than the Gills and we weren't. Why play Burton when he's unfit, didn't we learn this lesson with the Andy Gray experience? I just have this nagging feeling that the players are a tad disheartened and not giving their all, which is precisely what Parky told us he didn't want us to feel this season. I know we are in second place, but it now seems a rather insecure position.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]

"It's pointless earning 1 point" PMSL - that's up there with the Bobby Robson/ Kevin Keegan classics.

The rest of what you say is also about as senseless :-(
    the comment is indeed ridiculous, but I was just trying to state the point that too many people think that 1 point is good its not that way we ll get promoted. Earning a point against cr@p teams like Gillingham isn't a good thing.
  • Options
    Disagree SE7 Expat. Win at home and draw away and you'll be promoted with 92 points.

NB The Jills are very good at home, having lost only 1 out of 7 and only conceded 5 goals.They would be in the play offs on home form only.

Leeds, Charlton, Colchester, Huddersfield and Millwall are the only teams with better home form.
  • Options
    Funny, I agree with both Chunes and Large .......

We have spent zilch his season and picked up a couple of very useful players in Richardson, Llera & Dailley.....even MacKenzie may come good too, but our problem (as I see it) is still upfront. We made Simon Royce work once all game (Bailey's free kick) and for all LLoyd Sam's trickery the best attacks/wing play came from Youga Basey. The ephoria that we had in early Sept after winning our first 6 games is fast disappearing and until Sam and Burton get back their early season form then I'm afraid top 6 us the best we can hope for.........and even this may look dodgy.

I will say this just once more..........we need a stiker ! - sorry to say Burton & McLeod aren't the answer. Tuna is too young and lightweight and none of us have seen enough of McKenzie or Mooney to say whether they are the answer.......but I fear not. Unless we get in a PROVEN 25 goal a season striker we will not get out of this division automatically.

There may be one currently at Bristol Rovers.........but we may never know !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Disagree SE7 Expat. Win at home and draw away and you'll be promoted with 92 points.

NB The Jills are very good at home, having lost only 1 out of 7 and only conceded 5 goals.They would be in the play offs on home form only.

Leeds, Charlton, Colchester, Huddersfield and Millwall are the only teams with better home form.
    mmm good point, I guess I might be expecting too much from the team as long as they are putting up points on the board I guess its good news. I still hope we can get a striker a Christmas as I m not a big fan Izale.
  • Options
    Fair result...ref missed a stone wall penno early in the game and set his stall out from there on....i.e.crap....I was sitting in the upper tier of the stand right where the incident happened....couldn't believe he got that one wrong.
    Poor game...what little decent football there was on offer was played by us....but it must be said, very very sporadicly....as a result they (in effect) were more effective in the conditions.
  • Options
    I will say this just once more..........we need a stiker ! - sorry to say Burton & McLeod aren't the answer. Tuna is too young and lightweight and none of us have seen enough of McKenzie or Mooney to say whether they are the answer...

I'd apply the not seen enough of them rule to Tuna he is young but unfair to say too lightweight after 1 cup start in which he scored and two 10-15 min sub appearences... do agree with the other points though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Burton had a good game last week against Huddersfield....seems to be blowing hot and cold lately...in general though I think he's a good player for us.
  • Options
    we filled out the away end their biggest game of the season, what was the atmosphere like someone, please?
  • Options
    I see Christain Dailly is pleased to add the Gillingham v Charlton match to his career total of local derby matches.

So the player's considered it a derby.

There's other derby matches played between teams in different counties ....... e.g. the derby between Derby County and Nottingham Forest is played in the county of Derbyshire, and the Nottingham Forest v Derby derby is played in the county of Notts, not to be confused with Notts County.

Or is that two Counties, separated only by a Forest?

Confused? I know I am.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]we filled out the away end their biggest game of the season, what was the atmosphere like someone, please?

Wasn't the best due to no roof, very hard to get any decent singing going.
  • Options
    Poor Game, Poor Display, Poor conditions. Gotta take points when you play poorly & we seem to be still doing that. Still in the two point per game zone at the moment, but the lack of goals is a worry.
  • Options
    BBC stats

Gills - Charlton (in brackets: first half then second half)

posession%: 51 - 49 (52-48 then 50-50)
    total shots: 12 - 10 (5-5 then 7-5)
    shots on T : 11 - 3 (5-1 then 6-2)
    shots off T: 1 - 7 (0-4 then 1-3)
    corners: 11 - 3 (5 -0 then 6-3)
    fouls: 12 - 14 (7-6 then 5-7)
    bookings: 3 - 3 (1-1 then 2-2)

What stands out is their high corner count and having 11 shots (out of 12) on target.

PS does an own goal count as a shot on target for us???
  • Options
    Link to a Gills fan site

http://gillsconnected.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=495

They thought the ref was good!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]we filled out the away end their biggest game of the season, what was the atmosphere like someone, please?
    Shite.
  • Options
    This was my first match this season and I was not happy with what I saw. It was like watching us play away near the end of the Curbishley reign in that we had very few efforts at goal - but at least back then we were in the top league. Now we put up with the same crap but have to sit out in the open on scaffolding.

Izale McLeod stood out for me as being the most inept of the bunch. I don't care how hard he tries Parky, the man is not up to it. Large is right about Burton too - let him have his operation now. Why the hell do we get in a player on an 'emergency loan' just to bring him on for the last five minutes. That's absolute bollocks.

I'm talking only about the forwards because like Golfy I think that this position will be our downfall. With the midfield players we have (it appears to me were not playing as well as they could) we should be top two material. But the reality is that we will be lucky to be in the top six come Christmas.

I am beginning to have doubts about Parky. On this evidence he seems to be guessing as much as Pardew was.

Oh, and regarding the supporters, why do people sit down at half time? If standing is so cool, why not do it all the time?