Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

You'll Be Welcome At Witton Albion FC - FA Cup 8 November

Comments

• Options
    Trickies, rather than Trickers.
    Tricky the Cat is our mascot and put in a creditable performance at the Mascot Grand National last year.
    Probably a cat because of us being in Cheshire - Lewis Carroll was up the road in Warrington.
    Enough of this erudite stuff ...
  • Options
    Do we get an extra point for having two trickstonians posting after midnight? That's dedication for you! :)
  • Options
    Posting past midnight

4-9 is it now?

sponsored by booze

5-9
  • Options
    Some of us are trying to work ... :)
  • Options
    What's your longest ever thread on here? Must be some points up for grabs there ...
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Didn't the clocks move then, down your way, Alan? :):)
  • Options
    We don't have clocks, just a big sundial in the garden under the palm tree. :)
  • Options
    the Takeover thread got quite some way...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dorsetgreen[/cite]What's your longest ever thread on here? Must be some points up for grabs there ...

Don't worry Dorset, my love, you have a long way to go before you beat the Takeover thread. However this one is a million times better.

I just clicked on the W****n website because frankly I thought it was in Essex, so I thought you calling them your local rivals was stretching it a bit, and I noticed they are playing a team called Halloween Party this Saturday - what league are they in?

http://www.wittonalbion.co.uk/
  • Options
    Matthew Kelly & Bob Carolgees with Spit the Dog lived in Northwich. -5 each for Victoria & Albion.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Matthew Kelly & Bob Carolgees with Spit the Dog lived in Northwich. -5 each for Victoria & Albion.....

You're lucky it wasn't Roger De Courcey and Nookie Bear - that would have been -50 points!
  • Options
    I didn't see an answer about whether either club had a PE teacher or not? Made me think of the teacher who played for the Faroes who banged in two (I think?) against the Scots when they drew a few years ago...
  • Options
    Having made reference to the rulebook, the score is Northwich 7 Witton 11 ... however, Northwich have gained an extra 5 points due to the great Pie and Pints Match

... so current score is ...

... Northwich 12 Witton 11
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2009
    I refuse to acknowledge any of their points, based on the fact that they play in a kit very similar to the bheggars of Glasgow, thats my caveat, and I'm sticking to it.

Northwich 0 Witton 11

Sorry trickies, nothing personal, I'm sure you all very nice people really?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I refuse to acknowledge any of their points, based on the fact that they play in a kit very similar to the bheggars of Glasgow, thats my caveat, and I'm sticking to it.

Northwich 0 Witton 11

harsh, I thought you'd have more empathy for a club in severe financial straights : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I refuse to acknowledge any of their points, based on the fact that they play in a kit very similar to the bheggars of Glasgow, thats my caveat, and I'm sticking to it.

Northwich 0 Witton 11

harsh, I thought you'd have more empathy for a club in severe financial straights : - )

Harsh, but fair I thought, all will be fine when the "other" takeover goes through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]the Takeover thread got quite some way...

I've still got around 2,000 unopened posts on the Takeover thread.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I believe I mentioned my Rothmans Year Book earlier, but according to this tome of knowledge Northwich are officially known as 'The Vics' and Witton, 'The Albion'. In the Witton team photo one player is named as Micky Quinn, could it be himself?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]I didn't see an answer about whether either club had a PE teacher or not? Made me think of the teacher who played for the Faroes who banged in two (I think?) against the Scots when they drew a few years ago...[/quote]

Not sure on the current squad, though Jonny Allan always said if he wasn't a footballer, he'd be a farmer. We did have a 2nd choice goalkeeper 2 years ago who ran a dinky donuts hut which used to be there on matchdays and when injured or not selected could be seen in there sometimes.
  • Options
    I want to see a picture of Tricky the cat mascot - I didn't think that they are the kinds of creatures to be predisposed to wandering around the pitch being shouted at. Tricky could be a mega-mascot made of stern stuff if he does....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why not pay a visit to Tricky the Cat's own public Facebook page here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1488959&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=22886904175&aid=-1&id=602058948&oid=22886904175#/photo.php?pid=1488958&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=22886904175&aid=-1&id=602058948&oid=22886904175

Apols for the long linky thing. Hopefully it will work.

The first photo it links to was taken at the Mascot Grand National last year. Never fails to make me chuckle that picture!
  • Options
    Is that Floyd in the back row?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Is that Floyd in the back row?

spot and a half that is!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    suppose my picture wont work. but for non facebookers. so cute.
  • Options
    yep as i guessed. does anyone know why or when this prob will be fixed?
  • Options
    Thanks LCV.

Would have been more impressed if it was an actual cat (training it would be challenging, I admit). But a green and yellow cat is still quite an achievement. I hope to see it in the flesh/synthetic fur when I come to Northwich!
  • Options
    Good name for a mascot I reckon...
  • Options
    Here's Tricky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D5jeO5L_8g
  • Options
    Here's Charlton's very own cat legend.

A few of you who have been following Charlton since Eddie Firmani was manager ....... might remember Lucky the cat.

The black cat strolled across The Valley pitch just after the final whistle blew to end the first match of the season game with Millwall (too embarrassed to mention the score despite Keithy Peacock's 2nd minute goal) .......and the Charlton players saw that as a lucky omen and subsequently went on a long run without defeat.

Lucky finally met an unholy end mysteriously strung up and dangling from a floodlight pylon immediately after the final match of the season. Ray Crawford missed a penalty as we lost at home to Preston, and missing promotion by finishing 3rd. And to rub salt into the wound, Palarse won 3-0 and got promoted instead.

Brian Clough's Derby County were runaway champions. The season 1968/69.

PS: I made up the bit about Lucky's unlucky demise. The rest is true.
  • Options
    During the 1-0 win over Derby County at The Valley on 24th September 1983 'Lucky' the black cat, that had lived at The Valley for the last 15 years, made a last appearance along the touchline, having to be put down a few days later due to old age. An obituary appeared in the next Charlton programme.