Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIVE MOST OVERRATED

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]1) Harry Redknapp
    2) Harry Redknapp
    3) Harry Redknapp
    4) Harry Redknapp
    5) Harry Redknapp

You did say Top 5 overrated managers of all time didn't you?

Excuse me this is a music site. Go find somewhere else to post your football threads
  • Options
    U2
    Radio Head
    Pink Floyd (after Syd)
    Manic Street Preachers
    Foo Fighters
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]
    Pink Floyd (after Syd)

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Russ Conway : the poor man's Mrs Mills
    The Ronettes : Beverley Sisters every time (one married a footballer, oops, wrong thread)
    Prince : not even close to Screaming Lord Sutch
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]
    Pink Floyd (after Syd)

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes
  • Options
    Metallica
    Kiss
    The Beastie Boys
    Aerosmith
    Coldplay
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]3. U2 - I loved this band when they first started, and the first 3/4 albums are great ... but for the last 10 years, you have got to be joking.

i'd say the last 20 years.pre 1990 they were mustard.

oasis would be my main shout.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Metallica
    Ahahaha - good one.

On second thoughts, everything post 1989 I'm with you. The last album was good - but nothing like the earlier stuff. Everything up to 'Justice' is absolutely, unequivocably unfuckingbelievably good
  • Options
    the thompson twins
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]the thompson twins

Blimey, Seth, that's random; I thought everyone would have forgotten them by now.
    What you might call, out of left field (the same one you keep your goat? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By:Henry Irving[/cite]
    why do people insist on starting music threads on a football site? ; - )
    Mmm, yeh. Who started this nonsense ;-)
    have to distinguish between overated ie queen and were great but went bad ie rod stewart and stevie wonder.

There might be an argument that Queen were slightly underrated before Freddie died. But death was certainly the making of them.

Where do you start with Stevie Wonder, though?
    Uptight? Classic. I was made to love her? Brilliant! For once in my life? Steady, now.
    My Cherie Amour; Isn't she lovely; Ebony and Ivory; You are the sunshine of my life? - Pass the sick bucket!!!!!!
  • Options
    Six
    When the Thompson Twins came out many regarded them as the future of serious popular music, but in reality they were gimmicky and rubbish.
    ...while we're about it how come John lennons Imagine is so highly regarded, isn't there a point where a persons own ststus should at least chime a bit with their songs, and they seem to mean it...check out youtube and Billie Holliday Strange Fruit to get my drift (not music that's a barrel of laughs)?
    Pop that is happy lightweight and fun is honest, but pretentiousness really gets me mad.....I like it if I can believe it. Mind you,Van Morrison sweats music, it's impossible not to respect that.
  • Options
    Van Boorrison
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Leroy's comment made me laugh. I was just walking along thinking how f***ing good the Arctic Monkeys are....and the Libertines????! Oh man, what a band.
    Most overrated currently is Coldplay. I can't believe how that prick makes a living. Lucky boy. When he wrote "make trade fair" on his hand, I started supporting unfair trade. He better not come to any boozer in sutton spouting his student crap or I will give him a square go:)
    And yeah, Radiohead. The emporers new clothes. They gave up music in favour of random noise after ok computer. But you're not allowed to say it!
  • Options
    Whoaa Seth, you're getting too deep for the constraints of a harmless fun "five-of" thread!!
    The Thompson Twins as the future of serious popular music? Did anybody really think that? (Guffaw. Sure went over my head!)

"how come John Lennon's Imagine is so highly regarded?".
    How, indeed.
    I remember Lennon quoted at the time as saying Imagine (the album) was "just Plastic Ono Band (previous album) with sugar on".
    I've often wondered about the sincerity of the song imagine- surely Lennon was too caustic and cynical to be fooled even by himself.
    As to the album ; time hasn't done it any favours and I'm sure there would have been no end of detrimental reappraisals had his untimely death not made it virtually untouchable.
    Personally I hate the song Imagine.
    Give me the genius of In My Life; Strawberry Fields; A day in the life; I am the Walrus not the self obsessed, self-serving "art" he created under Yoko's influence.
  • Options
    As to the album ; time hasn't done it any favours and I'm sure there would have been no end of detrimental reappraisals had his untimely death not made it virtually untouchable.......
    Six-a-bag-of-nuts have to agree with you there, and i was not impressed at the time. One of the reasons why I read The Lives of John Lennon by Albert Goldman, an although I do not agree with a lot of his conclusions, I still feel that Lennon was a very flawed genius who's drive/spite/ talent was a very double edged sword that John himself fell on. I admired his bravery to do something outside 'pop', but besides cold Turkey, and Walls and bridges Mind games the plastic ono sage was an embarrassing failure.

Lennon himself wanted to cut the ties of the Beatles more than any of the other Beatles, so the commentators of the time claim. John was an artist, who for a time became a self indulgent 'piss artist' , and pisssed his talent away, wether baking bread, or his involvement with Yoko. But as they say his choice, and the indulgence he wallowed in, he worked and earned for some of the memorable tunes he wrote. ' Imagine' is an anthem of it's time.......which I am sure Lennon would get to despise, because that was the paradox of Lennon, the man who wrote popular songs, who despised writing them, and ended up baking bread, instead of making it through his music IMO..
  • Options
    Radiohead
    Coldplay
    Pink Floyd
    Genesis
    Sex Pistols

All a lot of shite, with a the odd standout track
  • Options
    Amy Winehouse
    U2
    Bon Jovi
    Robbie Williams
    Anyone from R&B / Hip Hop Genre
  • Options
    Stevie was good up to Talking book - after that very poor

Rod was great in the Faces and solo up to Atlantic crossing then poor

Van Morrison - Great, Great Great up to the 80s.

Stones - Great up to Exile then a few OK singles and tracks. Maybe.

Bowie Good up to I don't know when but Tin Machine OMG!

As for Queen being underated. How can you under rate puerile rubbish like that. Worse. Band. Ever.
  • Options
    RADIOHEAD, Coldplay massive massive shite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    been following U2, SIMPLE MINDS AND DEPECHE MODE since 1979 to me they are by miles 3 of the best live bands you will ever see .
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]RADIOHEAD, Coldplay massive massive shite.[/quote]

totally agree .
  • Options
    Right - Anyone that said Floyd - Outside now!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Van Morrison - Irish? He is British of the Ulster Scots heritage!

And THE MAN!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Right - Anyone that said Floyd - Outside now!

My old man would back you up and i have no problem with the floyd. Wouldnt rush out and dowload their albums but they are not offenseive to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]

Lennon himself wanted to cut the ties of the Beatles more than any of the other Beatles, so the commentators of the time claim. John was an artist, who for a time became a self indulgent 'piss artist' , and pisssed his talent away, wether baking bread, or his involvement with Yoko. But as they say his choice, and the indulgence he wallowed in, he worked and earned for some of the memorable tunes he wrote. ' Imagine' is an anthem of it's time.......which I am sure Lennon would get to despise, because that was the paradox of Lennon, the man who wrote popular songs, who despised writing them, and ended up baking bread, instead of making it through his music IMO..
    Great post Ken.
    I think there's probably a strong case for citing John Lennon the solo artist as vastly overrated.
    The Wedding Album; Life with the Lions; Imagine; Sometime in New York City; the 80's comeback (can't even remember the titles) - range from the average to the unlistenable.
    Take a listen to any of the 'best of' type compilations and sit grinding your teeth.
    The Plastic Ono Band ("primal") is the only one worthy of his name; but I find myself admiring it rather than ever playing it.

As you say, he dispised some of his own songs, just because he considered them lightweight or not first person "art".
    Shame.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Van Morrison - Irish? He is British of the Ulster Scots heritage!

And THE MAN!

LOL
    I stand corrected and chastened.
    (He's still crap, though ;-)
  • Options
    Another for the "was Great but then went bad" list.

Bob Dylan - Anything after Desire (other than the wonderful Xmas LP)

Could Add Beatles after Revolver but don't want to upset all the old 60s heads on here : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Bowie Good up to I don't know when but Tin Machine OMG!
    Bowie was my favourite artist of the 70's.
    Who else was tackling subject matter with the depth and intelligence of the songs on Hunky Dory and dressing it up in great tunes and melodies?
    Wearing different clothes for subsequent albums kept his work fascinating and huge fun.
    I thought it had started to wear a little thin by Heroes (the album not the song) and Lodger, but for me Scary Monsters was his gloria swanson (sorry, glorious swansong).
    I've tried, I really have, to enjoy his later work, but I just don't like it.
    As for Queen being underated. How can you under rate puerile rubbish like that. Worse. Band. Ever.
    Get off the flippin' fence why don't you? ;-)
  • Options
    Over rated?

Everything that's been tainted with Simon Cowell, X-F*ctor, Britains got no talent, etc etc etc