Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carlisle v Charlton - Post match reaction

Sounds like, despite a terrible result, the game could have gone either way really.

I feel Shelvey should have started and would rather have played sodje at RB and started with llera at CB than played Omuzusi.

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Options
    Have you ever seen Omuzusi play?

I personally really don't like the idea of Sodje as a full back. He'd be solid defensively but surely not really his position and he won't offer much going forward at all?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Edit............. was AFKA giving out free Fivers on here today? couldn't get near the bleeding thing :(
  • Options
    think randolph is a potential clown but as a charlton player under contract should have played,and shelvey is head and shoulders above any other charlton player.
  • Options
    no one is asking for parky out,but gets a little boring when people keep bringing it up when people are having a view,as long as were promoted he will be fine.
  • Options
    Sounds like most on here are enjoying a good knee-jerking.

Let's wait and here what those who were there have to say - and even then, keep a perspective on the big picture of the season as a whole.

Sounded a pretty even match to me, what I could find out about it.
    So we got done by 2 exceptional long range goals.

That's football.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Sounds like most on here are enjoying a good knee-jerking.

Let's wait and here what those who were there have to say - and even then, keep a perspective on the big picture of the season as a whole.

Sounded a pretty even match to me, what I could find out about it.
    So we got done by 2 exceptional long range goals.

That's football.

Oggy, I take your point, let's wait and see reviews from those who were there ... but it can't be denied that we are having a very poor run. There are some worrying signs.
  • Options
    Oh come on, Oggy - we've been playing consistently poorly for weeks. I don't understand people's reluctance to see when we're not good. We're all delighted when we play well, so it makes sense to acknowledge when that's not the case. Our current form is poor. We are where we are because of a patch at the start when we played well. If we go on playing the way we have recently we will not be second or even top 6 for long.
  • Options
    got a text that the first half was the worst he had saw us play,didnt say anything else think he is pissed off.
  • Options
    Sort of place we should expect to get something if we mean business: just hope that this time next week we're not saying "....now we can concentrate on the League.....".
  • Options
    at home i fancy us,just going away i see a problem,were are the characters in this team?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2009
    When does a blip become we're not good enough?

I understand this is only our second loss but recently we've been lucky not to lose, not unlucky not to win and that's a big difference. I don't expect us to dominate or even play well every game, but i do expect us to look like we've got a chance and i haven't seen that for several weeks. The team just looks tired, slow and uninterested and as a result the passing, control and shooting has become poor again as it was the last few disastrous seasons.

I really have no idea what's gone wrong so quickly. Mentality of the players, management, or were the players playing above themselves at the start of the season (i don't believe that). Maybe we're just too one dimensional and have been found out and no-one knows how to change it. No players who can change games or get everyone going.

I hope this is just a blip and Parky and the players can change things round. But we just don't look strong enough, mentaly as well as physically to continually compete/win week in week out at the moment and that means in the long run no chance of promotion.

I truly hope i'm just being paranoid and am proved wrong.
  • Options
    very worrying that millwall have beaten leeds & colchester in the last 2 weeks,they drew a lot of games at the start of the season but seem to be coming on very strong just like last year.
  • Options
    were are our characters? the goalie is out
  • Options
    Wasn't there so can't comment
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]When does a blip become we're not good enough?

I understand this is only our second loss but recently we've been lucky not to lose, not unlucky not to win and that's a big difference. I don't expect us to dominate or even play well every game, but i do expect us to look like we've got a chance and i haven't seen that for several weeks. The team just looks tired, slow and uninterested and as a result the passing, control and shooting has become poor again as it was the last few disastrous seasons.

I really have no idea what's gone wrong so quickly. Mentality of the players, management, or were the players playing above themselves at the start of the season (i don't believe that). Maybe we're just too one dimensional and have been found out and no-one knows how to change it. No players who can change games or get everyone going.

I hope this is just a blip and Parky and the players can change things round. But we just don't look strong enough, mentaly as well as physically to continually compete/win at the moment.
    I truly hope i'm just being paranoid and am proved wrong.[/quote]

seems a well thought out post not just ranting like me and some interesting and worrying point raised.At the start of the season our midfield were murdering people we aren't now but why ? With the quality in there alone we should dominate possession.Is it we cannot hold on to it up front,that would seem the obvious answer but is that too harsh on Burton ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Wasn't there so can't comment[/quote]

What, not even: we ought to be winning games like this if we hope to get promotion?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite] shelvey is head and shoulders above any other charlton player.

No he isn't. Bailey, Elliot, Sodje, Burton, Richardson... Too often he goes missing - which you would expect of a 17 year old. I agree he should start and we should switch to a 4-5-1 but he hasn't been our best player this season. Parker and Bowyer were running games at his age.
  • Options
    parker weren't he hadn't even featured yet.
  • Options
    what nonsense.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]parker weren't he hadn't even featured yet.

Wasn't he at Norwich at 17? Bowyer certainly was running games. The point is, Shelvey is not head and shoulders above every player at the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    parker was not running games at 17,burton better than shelvey on perfomances,two dreadful perfomances without shelvey?
  • Options
    nope he wasn't not at 17 . Shelvey has been asked to fill a difficult role this season and not a conventional midfield role,the boy is class,dailly said as much this week at the question and answer session.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Has Shelvey ever played well with Burton out of the team? Burton may not be a better player than Shelvey but he's just as important. Burtons also been injured for a few weeks now - might explain his "dreadful" performances.
  • Options
    we agree to disagree.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We don't really need to wait before expressing our disappointment, do we? As stonemuse points out, we've been playing way below our early season form for weeks now and the goals dried up ages ago.

18 pts from first six games

11 pts from last nine games

Only scored more than a single goal once in the last six games, and a grand total of just four goals in those six games.

Perhaps it was inevitable, given the relatively small squad, that we'd go off the boil once we got a few knocks. But you still have to question whether the alacrity with which we summon up loanees is the solution - three of them on the park today for us.

Not going to argue over Mooney v Dickson recall. But I would have rejigged the back four and started with Basey. And why on earth didn't Randolph play? Let's see the goals later on before passing judgement on whether the Wolves reserve might have done better. But on paper at least it does not look good - loanee comes in short of first team match practice and lets in three, two of them from 35 yards out. Reminds me of when we sent Sasa Ilic out on loan (West Ham was it?) He let in four in his first game for them and got sent straight back, I seem to remember!

Not cause for panic yet. But over the last nine matches, we've averaged only fractionally over a point a game, which is definitely a cause for concern. Certainly a strange moment to have awarded the manager another year on his contract. I want Parkinson to stay until the end of the season. But that's when his position should have been reviewed, in the light of our final league position. Which on current form looks likely to be play-offs rather than automatic. And that's the optimist in me talking!
  • Options
    The tail end of last season Shelvey really was running games. He scored lots and looked top draw.

So far this season, while he hasn't quite picked up where he left off, he has still been EXCEPTIONALLY good for a 17 year old.

The fact that he plays in the hole doesn't make it easy for him to "run" games as he needs a certain amount of service.

Granted he needed a rest or a game or so, but he should have started at Gills and he should have started today. He is a key player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]The tail end of last season Shelvey really was running games. He scored lots and looked top draw.

So far this season, while he hasn't quite picked up where he left off, he has still been EXCEPTIONALLY good for a 17 year old.

The fact that he plays in the hole doesn't make it easy for him to "run" games as he needs a certain amount of service.

Granted he needed a rest or a game or so, but he should have started at Gills and he should have started today. He is a key player.

Agreed he is a key player, but not he's not several levels above the rest of the squad.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]parker weren't he hadn't even featured yet.

[strike]Wasn't he at Norwich at 17[/strike]? Bowyer certainly was running games. The point is, Shelvey is not head and shoulders above every player at the club.

I agree he's not running games or head and shoulders above anyone. He's done well for his age and will get a lot better. We haven't got 1 or 2 star players, we have several players that are good, (or on our current run) should be good in this league and decent in the Championship.

I guess you've looked it up by now, but Parker was on loan at Norwich when was 20. So considering that he's doing fine to be playing fairly well at 17 in League One.
  • Options
    Still, Jonjo aside, players like Racon, Bailey ect should be bossing this league at their age and with their ability. Why are they underachieving of late?
  • Options
    Personal reaction: Thank god I gave that one a miss!