Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carlisle v Charlton - Post match reaction

Comments

• Options
    Ok so we have a chamce to try something different in the cup. My team

Randolph
    Richardson
    Daily
    Sodje
    youga

Waghorn rw
    Bailey cm
    Racon cm
    Basey lm

Shelvey amc
    Sam fc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]well done you for goin carlisle do you want a medal,been there seen it done it.

No not after a medal just merely making an observation that I found it surprising so many people had something to say on a game they had not seen. Apologies for any offence this may have caused.

Found the defeat more disappointing than the one at Colchester. We played some decent stuff in the first half without creating a clear cut opportunity. Was also disappointed that once the second one went in we did not look like getting back into it. As per my previous post would have taken the start we have had at the start of the season, but we do need to kick on from here now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]On the Bailey front, the reason he's not doing it is because he's being played out of position and, in my opinion, he's wasted on the wing
    nope disagree he was much more
    effective at left mid in a higher league!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]Ok so we have a chamce to try something different in the cup. My team

Randolph
    Richardson
    Daily
    Sodje
    youga

Waghorn rw
    Bailey cm
    Racon cm
    Basey lm

Shelvey amc
    Sam fc
    ok so even though wagstaff has been playing well you want to bring Martin Waghorn back
    on loan replacing wagstaff?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]Ok so we have a chamce to try something different in the cup. My team

Randolph
    Richardson
    Daily
    Sodje
    youga

Waghorn rw
    Bailey cm
    Racon cm
    Basey lm

Shelvey amc
    Sam fc

Waghorn? Wagstaff!!!
  • Options
    I was there.

Agree with a lot of the comments from others:

- First half we bossed possession till the ref went loopy, but didn't create anything of note. Parky got "sent off" after their pen - not sure if his lack of presence on the touchline then contributed to a lacklustre second half. They grew in confidence as we fell back. Kavanagh used his presence and experience to take the game on - we had no-one capable of doing that. Semedo had an off-day, whereas Racon and Bailey were disappointingly ineffective. Sam actually put in some good balls - right into the six yard area - but we had no-one attacking them. McLeod is simply not good enough. Would have preferred Mooney, I think, though he still has a lot to prove. Substitutions shoud have been made earlier. Ikeme looked pretty decent and had no chance with the goals - was unlucky that pen save fell stright to their man. Suzi looked decent at right back too until the howler leading to their second. Like others, disappointed that no-one drove us on when 2-1 down: expected Dailly, Sodje or Bailey to do so.

We didn't look like genuine promotion contenders on this performance. Carlisle ran the game in the second half and took their chances well, yet they are a team full of journeymen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]On the Bailey front, the reason he's not doing it is because he's being played out of position and, in my opinion, he's wasted on the wing. If Parky was happy to move McLeod into the hole today, unsuccessfully by the sounds of things, then why not give Bailey a chance in there next week? He's the kind of player to take games by the scruff of the neck, and he knows where the goal is. Drop Burton (can't believe that people on here think he's one of our most important players....)or McLeod, move Bailey back into the middle and give Wagstaff a start.

I'm still unconvinced as to whether we're that good at all but I'm definitely convinced that changes need to be made.

Good shout
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite] McLeod is simply not good enough. .

Another good shout.

If Parky is thinking the same as you two then we might be OK. But he probably isn't are therein lies the problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]well done you for goin carlisle do you want a medal,been there seen it done it.

Thank you Jimmy Saville, but as im on my way back as well, where can we get the medals?

I wasn't at the game - does that mean I am allowed an opinion or not ? Not sure how being there to see it happen makes you more qualified to know we lost or that we have played badly for a while now. As stated on another thread - current form (last 6 games) places us 18th in the table and they are the facts.

Anyone's opinion on whether we are playing very badly at present doesn't get away from that. I am sure most will agree that we have some of the best players in the league so something is stopping them from playing. That is where opininion comes into it.

Mine is that there is a lot of distraction around the club; takeover, finances, recent loan signings and delusions of grandeur. The stuff that should make all of this nothing more than a distraction is the Leadership. It would not appear to be good enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]

Thank you Jimmy Saville, but as im on my way back as well, where can we get the medals?

I wasn't at the game - does that mean I am allowed an opinion or not ? Not sure how being there to see it happen makes you more qualified to know we lost or that we have played badly for a while now. As stated on another thread - current form (last 6 games) places us 18th in the table and they are the facts.

Anyone's opinion on whether we are playing very badly at present doesn't get away from that. I am sure most will agree that we have some of the best players in the league so something is stopping them from playing. That is where opininion comes into it.

Mine is that there is a lot of distraction around the club; takeover, finances, recent loan signings and delusions of grandeur. The stuff that should make all of this nothing more than a distraction is the Leadership. It would not appear to be good enough.

Everyone can have a opinion, but in my view, if you have not seen the game (Been there or watched it on tv) it's a bit difficult to comment on THAT game.

Personally if i have not seen a game. i do not comment on it.
  • Options
    i didn't go to this one,but it's not exactly rocket science to see what the problem is, going on our recent form in games that i have been to.

well done to parky in getting a new contract.must have taken an age in deliberations over signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MacLeod is no threat, he offered no support to Burton and was never near enough to profit with pace from any flick on. No room for sentiment, sympathy for a lad playing with no confidence but he can't play for us, get rid. Mooney looked brighter by far, unlucky with a stooping flick to the far post. Many pretty triangles yesterday, clearly we were technically twice as good but at walking pace too often. Pace is vital, play with tempo. Parky needs to get the videos out of Robbo at Huddersfield and make Sam watch it til he gets the message.
    Ps.

The verbals some of our support dished out were not only over the top but also damaging, Shelvey looked stunned by the windmills and stick being chucked about as the players came over at the end. Don't see how that is ever going to help us. J
  • Options
    Wasn't Bailey top scorer from LM last season?

So I fail to see it that he is out of position!

Personally think Randolph deserved to start
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Wasn't Bailey top scorer from LM last season?

So I fail to see it that he is out of position!

Personally think Randolph deserved to start

I think he played a fair number of games in centre-midfield last year.

But scored all his goals this season from LM and because we attack predominantly from the right that allows him to drift into the box from the left rather than be involved in set up play.

I'd have played Randolph from the start, and he must wonder if he has a future at the club. Being passed over by Elliot is one thing, but then to wait patiently for your chance and then see it go to a loanee must be irritating.
  • Options
    Ikeme did nothing wrong -was pretty commanding and solid throughout. Gives me more confidence on that showing than Randolph.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Can't see what all the fuss is about - I know exactly what the problem is....

As an exile in the Midlands I have been to three games this season - Charlton have lost three games - you can probably guess the rest! At least we won't lose again until we play at Yeovil!

AddickJohn - the jinxed one!
  • Options
    I did give you all my initial remarks when I got home from the game,
    After more thought I'd say that McLeod has to go, he was a liability in defence and no use in attack, Sam gave very little as he no longer takes the ball to the bye line and doesn't put in crosses that can be attacked. The rest of the mid field can make pretty little passes around the halfway line but the attacking is ponderous and gives the forwards little chance. Shelvey can make a difference as he attacks with pace and unpredictability.
    You can't blame the loan players for the poor performance as noone had a good game. The most gaulling thing was that in the 1st half Carlisle were there for the taking but all we could do was pass the ball around the half way line, look pretty and offer no threat, by the 2nd half Carlisle realised how poor we were and gained in confidence.
    On this showing we won't even make the playoffs, nor the next round of either cup!

I'm glad I only live 1 hour from Carlisle and applaud all of you who travelled from the south.
  • Options
    Not worrieed by the cup, and we should use the next two games to play the likes of Mooney and Wagstaff from the start. If Ikepe is the better keeper then we were rigth to play him, there is no place for sympathy or loyalty, although why McCleod is getting it I don't know.
  • Options
    My opinion from highlights only

It looked to me like we got done by an unfair penalty by the ref (first possible pen was a fair shout but ref missed that and seemed like he was making up for it with the second...) and two shots that would have done most keepers in league 1 and the championship....

Burtons pen was solid if only he could shoot from further than 12 yards.
  • Options
    McLeod is "getting it" from me because his defensive header in the first half indirectly lead to the first Carlisle goal - it was the sort of thing an 11 year old wouldn't do on the park. In attack he was also useless, although he didn't get much help but just wasn't in the right place at the right time. When Moody came on the diffeence was obvious - that's why.

I know with strikers goals and confidence are everything, but just how long do wait until the goals come?
  • Options
    Perhaps we should revert to 451, but tell Shelvey he has a specific job to do wide left instead of Bailey playing there. I know it is not on his favoured side of the pitch (mind you Curbs played Robbo out of position for years), but Shelvey could have a more specific brief, get in the team, and it might work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Regarding Bailey, I really don't think he should be captain.

When he's playing well he may be the lead-by-example type, but personality wise I just don't think he's got it to lift those around him when things aren't going quite so well.

He's very shrill and squealy which is never a good thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: littlelegs[/cite]Regarding Bailey, I really don't think he should be captain.

When he's playing well he may be the lead-by-example type, but personality wise I just don't think he's got it to lift those around him when things aren't going quite so well.

I was wondering that, it might not be helping him at the moment.
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Perhaps we should revert to 451, but tell Shelvey he has a specific job to do wide left instead of Bailey playing there. I know it is not on his favoured side of the pitch (mind you Curbs played Robbo out of position for years), but Shelvey could have a more specific brief, get in the team, and it might work.

That's a possibility. If he plays behind the striker again though we do need him stay further up the pitch and close to the striker.

Am wondering if Shelvey actually needs to be playing central midfield. He'd have the opportunity to control things a lot more from there which might actually get more out of him than asking him to get forward and wait for attacks. Instead he could be starting them.
  • Options
    we need a good stricker full stop, a player like beckford that can bang goals in !
  • Options
    just had a look at CAFCTV...

penealty looks nonsense to them, our pen looks dubious, in or out, and then 2 fantastic strikes , top class strikes.....

get burton fit, bring shelvey in again...

my confidence hasnt disappeared, but I appreciate I only get to listne to the games....
  • Options
    Was at the game, nothing up front. Maybee burton does need that op, in my opinion mcloud is a fast donkey, cant see how he banged so many goals for mk dons in this league. Need to give mooney a start see what hes capible of, definately need a goalscorer that can win games for us. Sumone who can score goals even when we play poorley. I feel Burton is good at holding the ball up on a good day but we need a striker like beckford that can get us goals. Our defence looks strong, although we conceded 3 goals, ( a noncence penalty and two quality long range efforts.) Ive spoken to away fans after games and they dont think that we should be where we are in the table. They think we are pushing abouve our weight and play like a side in the lower half of the table. Parky has said now that we have had off games but he has said this too many times, i feel he needs to be stronger with the team. We need to start winning games against lower side opposition to challenge for automatic promotion. This league isnt easy and there are alot of strong teams in it, if we are serious about getting promoted so we can play crystal palace next year then we need to get our act together. Hopefully this bad run we have had ends pretty soon and we start to play the football shown at the start of the season. cumon u reds. (please forgive me for my spelling, never been good at english!)
  • Options
    Wasn't at the game but several points regarding our form.

1. The cry for 4-4-2 and the results since not good enough, wrong move?
    2. With shelvey missing the lack of chances we are creating.
    3. Are there players carrying knocks, i would say almost certainly. with this in mind a rest for racon, bailey, sam and burton next week should do them good.
    4. We desperately need Mckenzie fit Mcleod scoring against Huddersfield papered over that he is not good enough and earned a starting place the following week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: littlelegs[/cite]Regarding Bailey, I really don't think he should be captain.

Despite having a poor game he still looked like the most commited player in a red shirt on saturday.
  • Options
    I hate to say this by I agree with CAFCBourne entirely.

I am getting frustrated at seeing Lambert score every week as well - exactly what we're missing. But is there any point in having a goalscorer when we are not creating anything?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ooops.

Wrong thread.
  • Options
    What was mcleod doing in defence anyway he should be waiting on the outside the box ready for the ball to come out so he can blitz past any last defender and get a shot off!