Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did anyone make it onto the 2010 London Marathon?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I didnt get accepted : (
  • Options
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, my marathon days are long gone, but I recall a fascinating challenge which I once came across which puts into perspective just how good the top men really are.

The challenge is to beat the World Record time (call it 2 hours 4 mins) by running the marathon over a one month period. Naturally, banging out 26.2 miles in World Record time is beyond any of us, so you have to break up the distance into as many pieces as you wish, spread over the month.

You might fancy a mile a day ... but each mile would then need to be done in about 4 mins 45 secs ... still way beyond most of us. So, you consider doing 800m twice a day with each run taking about 2 mins 20 secs. Maybe 4 lots of 400m per day with each run needing to be done in about 70 secs. For the decent Club runner, now you're starting to get there. But it makes you realise just how impressive the top men are, banging out 26 miles, end-on-end, with each mile well under 5 mins.

It really is a hard sport although, as I imagine most of the current hopefuls are discovering, the hardest part is the training. If you have trained well, the day of the marathon itself is only ever pleasurable. But beware a lack of training. You cannot hide over 26.2 miles.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]As I've mentioned elsewhere, my marathon days are long gone, but I recall a fascinating challenge which I once came across which puts into perspective just how good the top men really are.

The challenge is to beat the World Record time (call it 2 hours 4 mins) by running the marathon over a one month period. Naturally, banging out 26.2 miles in World Record time is beyond any of us, so you have to break up the distance into as many pieces as you wish, spread over the month.

You might fancy a mile a day ... but each mile would then need to be done in about 4 mins 45 secs ... still way beyond most of us. So, you consider doing 800m twice a day with each run taking about 2 mins 20 secs. Maybe 4 lots of 400m per day with each run needing to be done in about 70 secs. For the decent Club runner, now you're starting to get there. But it makes you realise just how impressive the top men are, banging out 26 miles, end-on-end, with each mile well under 5 mins.

It really is a hard sport although, as I imagine most of the current hopefuls are discovering, the hardest part is the training. If you have trained well, the day of the marathon itself is only ever pleasurable. But beware a lack of training. You cannot hide over 26.2 miles.[/quote]

I did a half marathon relay years ago (I think i was about 15) along the same lines as this. team of about 8 doing 800m each alternately. We got close to the world best at the time but don't think we beat it.

my training going well but I am on an injury avoidance schedule so only running three times a week but concentrating on quality runs. Long runs up to 17 miles currently. Aiming for around 3hr30-3hr45 finish time come race day
  • Options
    Didnt get accepted for The Marathon but had confirmation of acceptance to the Southend Triathlon, charity innit.

Havent even got a bike yet, things you do when you're drunk...
  • Options
    my training going well but I am on an injury avoidance schedule so only running three times a week but concentrating on quality runs. Long runs up to 17 miles currently. Aiming for around 3hr30-3hr45 finish time come race day
    I'm going for a sub 3:30 this year. My pb is 3:38. I'm coaching a first timer at work as well who is on a similar schedule to yourself, Kigelia. I've had to take a couple of days off the training this week due to very sore feet but I'm hitting about 35 miles a week at the moment.