Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I am going slightly mad.....

....got on train @ 8.14 still on it stuck outside London Bridge going nowhere fast. With trains whizzing past either side. I love commuting....NOT!

Comments

• Options
    omg ... that is hellish ... hope no one is claustrophobic !!
  • Options
    are there leaves on the track ?
  • Options
    Wrong type of sun?! I'm amazed no one has kheeled over...yet :-/
  • Options
    i got off at Lewisham and got the DLR to Bank. nightmare journey
  • Options
    A journey that should take 50mins has just taken me 2hrs!! Not happy of Greenhithe :-(
  • Options
    Its simple KBs your train was all already late so to save thier statistics they let the other trains pass first especially if they are fast trains from the coast.......so if it makes you feel better your sacrifice helped others.............

i was also on a stuck train gits !!
  • Options
    My train to london bridge was also held up this morning but only by 10 mins. So i got into the station at 6.26 instead. Which caused a rushed jubiled and dlr for me
  • Options
    Barstewards! Is it too early for a drink?
  • Options
    rotten shite journey. and turn the fekking heaters down - luckily i had a seat but i had to get up to strip off my jacket as was boiling... sadly realised i had put my top on inside out so had to put my jacket back on and boil.
  • Options
    Ha ha, i wouldn't of laughed if i noticed. Honest :-s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    C Walsh --- you wouldnt have laughed if you knew Curb-it !!
  • Options
    I too was in this procession, remind me never to decide to train it over the bike..
  • Options
    I was rather scared when handing over my clit coach money. Good point, i may have have laughed inside then
  • Options
    Gave up and went home. Working from home is the new paid holiday. I'm going to build a fort out of sofa cushions later.
  • Options
    Don't get those problems on the Javelins.
  • Options
    i got extra early this morning to make up for leaving early yesterday to see my new niece - stood for 55 mins outside london bridge. got into work at the same time I would have done normally - which wasn't too bad - if i'd have got the normal train i would have been REALLY late! the train announcer was funny though with his estimations and long winded way of saying the signals were screwed. mind you - in such a good mood couldn't give a hoot!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    KBLS, stop commuting and come up and live up here in lovely Carrot Land.

In my commuting days, so many things happened. I used to live near Bromley North. Regular unofficial strike action took place often leaving no service home from Grove Park in the evenings. Sometimes with no money and no arrangement with bus companies it was just a case of walking the two and half miles home! I once had a row with a BR employee for over an hour, trying to get me home and eventually had to give up and walk.

Countless times I have been sitting on a train going nowhere in the days of no mobile, steaming with anger and frustration.

The straw that broke the camels back happened one Friday evening.

I had taken my car to work as I was making a client visit in the morning. I worked in Putney (which was in the Tory Republic of Wandworth where they had their own parking police who'd hide around the corner and wait until you'd left your vehicle before pouncing!) Needless to say, I couldn't find a parking space (I had a council parking permit) and had to leave it on a meter.

Went into my office, completely forgot that the car was on a meter. Came out to drive home, found it had been towed away and empounded! I couldn't face going to get it that evening and decided to go up the next day, get the car out and spend the day in the West End. Thought I might as well make a silk purse out of a sows ear!!

I got the train from Putney to Waterloo, walked up to the through station (used to be known as Waterloo East), found out the time of the train home which was imminent, quickly phoned my wife on a pay phone to meet me at High Brooms at the appropriate time, and boarded the train to Tunbridge Wells.

Everything went as planned until instead of making it's way from Chislehurst to Petts Wood, without any warning, it suddenly diverted at Chislehurst Junction towards Swanley!The train then sailed past the junction to Sevenoaks. I believe somebody pulled the communication cord, the train came to an abrupt halt and we sat there not moving. No announcement, no guard walking the length of the train, nothing. Eventually the train was shunted backwards to Swanley.

Finally there was an annoucement that the train would be going to Sevenoaks and then on to Tunbridge Wells. Those passengers for Petts Wood and Orpington then refused to shut the doors and a huge row ensued. Somebody from BR said that they would have to change at Sevenoaks and get a train back! By this time well over an hour had elapsed. The train set off for Sevenoaks.

My wife waited at High Brooms at the alloted time. Trains came and went and I wasn't on any of them. She gave up and went home. I finally got to the station well over an hour late, no wifey waiting. The nearest phone was up a bloody hill! I rang her, only to be greeted by "where the hell have you been". Back home we had a humungous row. It resulted in her telling me she was leaving me, got a ladder out to get up into the loft, couldn't open it, threw it at me in total frustration. We then started laughing. The stress and frustration of years had finally come to this.

I vowed then that I would find a way out of that nightmare. I spend a year or so finding a way and eventually we moved up to Norfolk and the rest is history. That was the final straw though for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]KBLS, stop commuting and come up and live up here in lovely Carrot Land.

In my commuting days, so many things happened. I used to live near Bromley North. Regular unofficial strike action took place often leaving no service home from Grove Park in the evenings. Sometimes with no money and no arrangement with bus companies it was just a case of walking the two and half miles home! I once had a row with a BR employee for over an hour, trying to get me home and eventually had to give up and walk.

Countless times I have been sitting on a train going nowhere in the days of no mobile, steaming with anger and frustration.

The straw that broke the camels back happened one Friday evening.

I had taken my car to work as I was making a client visit in the morning. I worked in Putney (which was in the Tory Republic of Wandworth where they had their own parking police who'd hide around the corner and wait until you'd left your vehicle before pouncing!) Needless to say, I couldn't find a parking space (I had a council parking permit) and had to leave it on a meter.

Went into my office, completely forgot that the car was on a meter. Came out to drive home, found it had been towed away and empounded! I couldn't face going to get it that evening and decided to go up the next day, get the car out and spend the day in the West End. Thought I might as well make a silk purse out of a sows ear!!

I got the train from Putney to Waterloo, walked up to the through station (used to be known as Waterloo East), found out the time of the train home which was imminent, quickly phoned my wife on a pay phone to meet me at High Brooms at the appropriate time, and boarded the train to Tunbridge Wells.

Everything went as planned until instead of making it's way from Chislehurst to Petts Wood, without any warning, it suddenly diverted at Chislehurst Junction towards Swanley!The train then sailed past the junction to Sevenoaks. I believe somebody pulled the communication cord, the train came to an abrupt halt and we sat there not moving. No announcement, no guard walking the length of the train, nothing. Eventually the train was shunted backwards to Swanley.

Finally there was an annoucement that the train would be going to Sevenoaks and then on to Tunbridge Wells. Those passengers for Petts Wood and Orpington then refused to shut the doors and a huge row ensued. Somebody from BR said that they would have to change at Sevenoaks and get a train back! By this time well over an hour had elapsed. The train set off for Sevenoaks.

My wife waited at High Brooms at the alloted time. Trains came and went and I wasn't on any of them. She gave up and went home. I finally got to the station well over an hour late, no wifey waiting. The nearest phone was up a bloody hill! I rang her, only to be greeted by "where the hell have you been". Back home we had a humungous row. It resulted in her telling me she was leaving me, got a ladder out to get up into the loft, couldn't open it, threw it at me in total frustration. We then started laughing. The stress and frustration of years had finally come to this.

I vowed then that I would find a way out of that nightmare. I spend a year or so finding a way and eventually we moved up to Norfolk and the rest is history. That was the final straw though for me.

An the moral of this story.... Invest in a proper loft ladder!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]An the moral of this story.... Invest in a proper loft ladder!

Yeah - lol!!
  • Options
    LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most will be to young to remember the long long long train strike of 1974-ish. First few days no one went in thenit was a case of get there somehow. A few trains--- and i do mean a few ran. If you had a relative or mate who was driving somewhere into London you packed the car. had to be on the road by 6 AM or forget it. When you got in everyomes thoughts was "how the f**k do i get home" . The 21 bus from Eltham had a que that went for miles by 7 AM. If you could get on one of the trains that actually turned up they were heaving. Old slam door tains and you got somewhere near home and then worked out how you did your last part. Funny thing was you meet mates from old school days-- footie etc and i dont remember to much grief between the traveling poor bastards-- was an adventure in some ways-- the firms where so glad to see people making the effort they didnt say to much about times geting in and going. I think its where the coach comutor thing started.
  • Options
    Well before my time that one. Bing- my parents are up your way. They are in caister. Moved there a few years ago from hither green
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]Well before my time that one. Bing- my parents are up your way. They are in caister. Moved there a few years ago from hither green

Caister On Sea eh? Know it well. There are advantages and disadvantages of most places. I certainly don't miss either commuting by train or the grind around the M25 which I did a well during my last few years in London . (Sometimes driving was the only option if I was visiting a client).

Up here though there is a frustration in the time it takes to get anywhere out of Norfolk. With the only half decent road out of the County the A11 and that is not all dual carriageway, it can seem like you are a bit isolated. However I enjoy the lower pace of life for most of the time.
  • Options
    The Central Line was ok this morning, I actually got a seat at Leyton. There were still fat peeps with rucksacks tho.
  • Options
    Frankfurt was ok this morning ... taxi into the office, no problem ;-)
  • Options
    My 8:12 from Lower Sydenham to Charing Cross got into Lower sydenham at about 8:20 and ended up in Cannon Street at 9:30, couldn't even get off at London Bridge although the train actually stopped in the station.
  • Options
    hit the emergency button, they would surely let you off then?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hit the emergency button, they would surely let you off then?
    yes, and probably given me a £100 fine :)
  • Options
    na false imprisonment