Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remembrance Day

edited November 2009 in Not Sports Related
Apologies...I don't know if tomorrow is called Remembrance Day in the UK, or whether it is still Armistice Day?

In any event, I just saw a nice twitter post asking that everyone observe the two minutes silence on twitter at 11am GMT, and thought that although I'm sure that most will be observant anyway, it might be nice for everyone to make a point of keeping radio silence on here as well?

I know I'll be at the cenotaph (albeit Eastern Standard Time!), as I am sure most will, but when I read that, I though it sounded a nice sentiment, albeit for the 21st century!

Comments

• Options
    it was great to see that virtually everyone in the supermarket on Sunday stopped for two minutes at 11am. My son had been learning about it at school for the last few weeks and knew why we stopped as well.
  • Options
    Either Remembrance Day or Armistice Day will suffice, but stopping and remembering is the main thing.
  • Options
    I find it odd that we (Canada) get a day off tomorrow to mark November 11th, yet the UK doesn't.
  • Options
    We observe it at work every year. Down tools/phones if in the office and stand together and remember

I think it is the absolute minimum everyone can do and if it means keeping cyber babble quiet for 2 short minutes I think everyone should observe that
  • Options
    Oakster, we don't out here in Ontario...it's always been a source of debate but I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the reason we don't is down to veterans' groups saying that it being a "holiday" served to debase (my words, not theirs) the point of the observance.

Carter, I agree...I'm always amazed at how many people can't be bothered to put a lid on it for all of 2 minutes to recognise people who truly are heroes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]the reason we don't is down to veterans' groups saying that it being a "holiday" served to debase (my words, not theirs) the point of the observance.

i think they have a valid point
  • Options
    I agree...you just know what would happen if it fell on a Friday or a Monday, or even worse, over the weekend. I can just imagine the screaming if it were a Saturday, and people didn't get their "day off" on Friday in lieu.

Terrible, but true.
  • Options
    I'll be down at the cenotaph here in Vancouver tomorrow by 11. It's normally a very good turnout considering that here in November we have a monsoon every day.

I thought there was no "holiday" in Ontario is due to the holiday you guys get in February. Maybe the Veterans over there have a point, all I know is over here the Veterans get a great turn out for the parade, something that would not occur if we all had to go to work. FYI Can-Addick we do get the Monday off if November 11th hits at the weekend.
  • Options
    I always go on my own to a memorial statue outside the Royal Exchange at Bank Junction, and get a great sense of pride seeing all the cab drivers and buses stop and turn off their engines, and for two minutes a bustling area turns into a silence.

I'm working from home tomorrow and conducting a silent vigil alone at a time i will already be silent is going to feel strange.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]it was great to see that virtually everyone in the supermarket on Sunday stopped for two minutes at 11am. My son had been learning about it at school for the last few weeks and knew why we stopped as well.

We also made sure we held a silence before kick-off for Cat Junior's U9 game on Sunday - impecably observed by boys and parents

Lest we forget
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went up to Biggin Hill on Sunday to the air base RAF chapel (St Georges)...after the service everyone went outside to the wreath laying ceremony where upon a Spitfire appeared and performed several passes right overhead.....the gloriously iconic and unique deafening sound of that Rolls Royce Supermarine engine plus the sense of occassion made the hair on my neck stand up I can tell you.
    I'm so glad I went....and will do so every year from now on as long as I'm still in the area.
  • Options
    Nearly 11am..............
  • Options
    I most have been the only person in the office who respected the silence...
  • Options
    Someone offering biscuits around here during it.

BISCUITS.
  • Options
    What is wrong with some people

All well respected here
  • Options
    One NZ girlie here carried on her phone conversation during the impeccably observed silence, "What can I do she asked?" - just shut the F*** UP !!
  • Options
    brain dead in my office.....one fella typing away and another at 10.59 starts dialing his phone on loudspeaker, when someone said, 'you might not want to make a call at 11am', his response was 'why' ?.....the sad thing is he really didn't have a clue why !!!!

gormless c*nt !!! (excuse the language)
  • Options
    You can only try and educate these people EA.
  • Options
    Mostly well observed here except for a couple of fcuking idiots tapping on their keyboards and mice. Just had to walk away for a few minutes and come back - absolutely fuming
  • Options
    Didn't want to deal with people in my office, took a walk to the cenotaph where I knew the moment would be given proper respect.

There seemed to be a more solem atmosphere than pomp of Sunday's parade. Ordinary people showing genuine respect for the fallen.

Had lots of thoughts about my late Father on the way there and back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Soundas, I know what you mean. It's only 6:30am here, but at 11am est (shortly before or after more like) I'm sure we will see and hear our Lancaster overhead. The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is here in Hamilton, and we're told that it has one of only two flightworthy Lancasters in the world. Because of where I live, I'm lucky enough to see it once every couple of weeks in the summer. Truly awe inspiring...
  • Options
    Here in Northern France, I am honoured to carry the UK flag with my French colleagues in a procession up to the war memorial; 2 minutes silence, the names of the dead, English and French are read out, flags lowered, Marseillaise and God save the Queen played, a brief speech from a serving soldier (today he read out Marshall Foch's announcement of the cease -fire) then back to the mairie for vin d'honneur. Mind you in both wars, this part of France was heavily fought over. Impeccacbly observed by all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: daveroan[/cite]Here in Northern France, I am honoured to carry the UK flag with my French colleagues in a procession up to the war memorial; 2 minutes silence, the names of the dead, English and French are read out, flags lowered, Marseillaise and God save the Queen played, a brief speech from a serving soldier (today he read out Marshall Foch's announcement of the cease -fire) then back to the mairie for vin d'honneur. Mind you in both wars, this part of France was heavily fought over. Impeccacbly observed by all.

Great to hear this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: daveroan[/cite]Here in Northern France, I am honoured to carry the UK flag with my French colleagues in a procession up to the war memorial; 2 minutes silence, the names of the dead, English and French are read out, flags lowered, Marseillaise and God save the Queen played, a brief speech from a serving soldier (today he read out Marshall Foch's announcement of the cease -fire) then back to the mairie for vin d'honneur. Mind you in both wars, this part of France was heavily fought over. Impeccacbly observed by all.

Where is this? Sounds very worthy of a visit....
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    barely noone was silent at my uni at 11, had a right go at this guy who started talking to me and my mate during the 2 mins
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Two people opposite me on the bus decided to carry on their conversation and go 'why has the bus turned its engine off?' and then try and talk to the old people on the bus, soo many people wernt really silent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Two black people opposite me on the bus decided to carry on their conversation and go 'why has the bus turned its engine off?' and then try and talk to the old people on the bus, soo many people wernt really silent.

Why not just two 'people' ?
  • Options
    someone edited out my asian comment as well, talk about pc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Two black people opposite me on the bus decided to carry on their conversation and go 'why has the bus turned its engine off?' and then try and talk to the old people on the bus, soo many people wernt really silent.

Why not just two 'people' ?

Cos i'm telling a story, gotta tell it how it is
  • Options
    This country deeply saddens me sometimes. I was in the High Street at 11:00. Only a few of us stopped and observed the silence while 100's around us carried on shopping, talking, phoning, smoking, drinking their latte's, etc, to the sound of shops pumping out musak. Including many that were actually wearing poppies that I found truly strange.

As an ex-resident of France I've also seen how it they approach it and it puts us to shame frankly.