Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Remembrance Day

2»

Comments

• Options
    Yes, very sad that people can't be bothered to show respect for just two minutes. I go out to a quiet part of the dealership's car park for the two minutes (surrounded by German cars, ironic or what?) but today someone came up and started telling me a joke. I told him what was going on and he looked surprised that I was bothering but shut up and went back to the showroom where everybody else was too busy to observe the silence.He later came up and apologised so fair do's. Perhaps more could be done to remind people e.g church bells or sirens (if they still work).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Can-addick[/cite]Soundas, I know what you mean. It's only 6:30am here, but at 11am est (shortly before or after more like) I'm sure we will see and hear our Lancaster overhead. The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is here in Hamilton, and we're told that it has one of only two flightworthy Lancasters in the world. Because of where I live, I'm lucky enough to see it once every couple of weeks in the summer. Truly awe inspiring...

I was in the garden centre at the crossroads by keston in the summer and the other Lancaster was coming in to land at Biggin Hill and flew directly overhead. I've seen it loads of times at airshows etc but it was only just over tree top height. It sounded fantastic.
  • Options
    Yeah had a Lancaster bomber fly overhead and going into land at some random airfield whilst going down to Camber in August
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: daveroan[/cite]Here in Northern France, I am honoured to carry the UK flag with my French colleagues in a procession up to the war memorial; 2 minutes silence, the names of the dead, English and French are read out, flags lowered, Marseillaise and God save the Queen played, a brief speech from a serving soldier (today he read out Marshall Foch's announcement of the cease -fire) then back to the mairie for vin d'honneur. Mind you in both wars, this part of France was heavily fought over. Impeccacbly observed by all.

Whereabouts in N France Dave?

I was Compiegne on 11/11 a couple of years ago where the Armistice was signed. Not one mention by the French of the Brits and Empire troops who gave their lives saving their country.

I was fecking livid.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I asked our reception if they were going to make a tannoy announcement to remind people. So not only did we have that but we can actually hear Big Ben! Did we have silence? Not a bit of it. Two kids discussing the Xmas menu, one boss yelling at another from their respective offices & a group of grown males joking about. I tried to block it out but i was so angry. I approached the kids, one Jamaican & one Turkish & calmly asked them if they realised what they'd done. They didnt. I explained & said i actually felt disappointed. They both apologised. The bosses & grown men just said they hadnt realised the time. I replied that it was nice that they had the freedom to be able to be in a position not to realise the time. Sometimes, people really disappoint me.
  • Options
    Hi,

Seeing a smany of you have asked here are the details of where I live.

I live in Wambercourt, Pas de Calais [62] ; this area took a terrible pounding in both wars, We are close to Arras which was totally destroyed each time. The gun emplacements in Hesdin forest (which shot down the airmen we remembered today) are still there!

The pilot was in fact from New Zealand and the war graves commission have put our maire on touch with the pilot's brother who only last year was told where his brother was buried. It seems he was a dentist up until 1940, training in London. He and the plane's complement were shot down in 1942.

The french are meticulous about their observation of 11 November; out of 212 in our village at least 100 were there today and the same happens throughout each village wherever there is a memorial and / or church where the names are enscribed.

David
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Dave.

Been to Arras a few times - the underground caves are fascinating (you must be at least 30 miles away from there though), and it wasn't as badly destroyed as many towns/villages further east in WW1.

Personally, I've always got the feeling that the Belgians are thoroughly respectful of our war graves and the French just seem to put up with it (a sweeping genralisation I know). A good example is the Ploegstreet Memorial, which is just over the border in Belgian as the French didn't want such a 'monstrosity' on their soil.
  • Options
    KBlittlesis, what nationality where the managers and adults?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: daveroan[/cite]The pilot was in fact from New Zealand and the war graves commission have put our maire on touch with the pilot's brother who only last year was told where his brother was buried.

How is Yves by the way?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]KBlittlesis, what nationality where the managers and adults?

Probably bloody French :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who is the Earl of Wessex ? its that ponce Prince Edward ! he in full uniform and medals laid a weath at the memorial to all those who have died since the end of WWII .

Just where did he get those medals ? and why can he wear a Uniform.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Who is the Earl of Wessex ? its that ponce Prince Edward ! he in full uniform and medals laid a weath at the memorial to all those who have died since the end of WWII .

Just where did he get those medals ? and why can he wear a Uniform.[/quote]

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=military+medals&_sacat=See-All-Categories

;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]KBlittlesis, what nationality where the managers and adults?

Did you need to ask? From this fair Isle :-(
  • Options
    We had immaculately observed, pin-drop silence for two minutes in our (open plan) office. Except for one person. Nattering loudly on the phone. In German.

:o(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]

Did you need to ask? From this fair Isle :-(

No, I suspected as much.