Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did any of you guys/gals go to this game?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-united-cruise-1428751.html

ive always wanted 2 no what the atmosphere was like etc! as i was only 6 at the time and my tight father wouldnt take me!

Comments

• Options
    10000 singing things can only get better at half time. It did for the united fans.
  • Options
    I remember thinking like everyone else at half time, that we might just win............................
  • Options
    I have hated this song ever since.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    First time in my life I realised that Charlton were a 'big' club. I never knew we could attract so many people for such a far away game.

Oh, and Leaburns 'chip'.

The game at Ewood Park in the previous round was a great experience........ particularly for Darren Pitcher being wound up by Stuart Balmer after the game.
  • Options
    I seem to remember thinking that there was no way Hughes could score from that angle...he did...and that Ryan Giggs was just about the fastest thing on two legs at the time.

Ahh...Kim, what could have been....
  • Options
    I remember a conversation with my Grandad who passed away a few weeks after this game. He said "Aren't we doing well?" - little did he realise that we weren't playing in red that day...

I do recall everyone going absolutely mental when Leaburn got our consolation. Kanchelskis was pretty much unplayable that day.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2009
    I was there, fantastic day out (barring the result)

Giggs looked like he floated as he ran with the ball.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]10000 singing things can only get better at half time. It did for the united fans.
    And if I remember correctly we played it at every home game after that, and they didn't. I think we were pushing for automatic promotion at the time, and then went on our traditional end of season slump and missed out on the play-offs.

Other memories of the game... Kim Grant flying through the air after Schmeichel took him out outside the area. The much maligned Carl Leaburn scoring our consolation. Watching the highlights on Match of the Day, and getting pissed off that they made the game look more one sided than it actually was.
  • Options
    Went with my dad, Schmeichel should have gone, he almost knocked Kim Grant into orbit
  • Options
    What gets forgotten is that just about every other club in the draw were beatable, and we got the Man Utd of Giggs, Cantona, Kanchelskis etc....you never say never, but that was as good a side as they've had in the last 20 years IMO. We gave a good account of ourselves, but once Hughes scored they were away. I thought in the end Leaburns "consolation" goal made them calm down a bit, saving us from further punishment. I don't like to praise opponents too much, but Giggs was frighteningly good that day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was there. I also thought, at half-time, we might get something. But there was no stopping Man United in the second half.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]10000 singing things can only get better at half time. It did for the united fans.
    And if I remember correctly we played it at every home game after that, and they didn't. I think we were pushing for automatic promotion at the time, and then went on our traditional end of season slump and missed out on the play-offs.

Other memories of the game... Kim Grant flying through the air after Schmeichal took him out outside the area. The much maligned Carl Leaburn scoring our consolation. Watching the highlights on Match of the Day, and getting pissed off that they made the game look more one sided than it actually was.

How did Curbs and Gritt manage to get us near the top of the second tier with Leaburn and Kim Grant up front?! Geniuses.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]I seem to remember thinking that there was no way Hughes could score from that angle...he did...and that Ryan Giggs was just about the fastest thing on two legs at the time.

Ahh...Kim, what could have been....

It was a great save that pushed the ball out to that angle in the first place. Still cant believe Hughes knocked it in.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    andrei kanchelskis tore us to pieces in the second half.

"10 men,we've only got 10 men" sang old trafford. still haunts me now!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    And if I remember correctly we played it at every home game after that, and they didn't

And in the Britton Farm House in Gillingham the other week, Henry kept badgering me to play it, in between pouring him & MOG drinks of course.
  • Options
    They (Man U) just seemed to up a gear or two after the break.

Bloody good day out. I hired a mini bus for me and a few friends, me as the driver couldnt drink but still enjoyed the day.
    My wife was 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time, never thought for a moment she would make me miss that one. What a wife!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]andrei kanchelskis tore us to pieces in the second half.

Was about to write the same thing, he absolutely murdered us. He would've given Usain Bolt a decent race.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Went with my dad, Schmeichel should have gone, he almost knocked Kim Grant into orbit
    He did go didnt he?
  • Options
    I was there that day. One of my first away trips. Strangely aside from the half time optimism I remember that the standing area where we were, had yellow steps all the way down, but you werent allowed to stand on the yellow bits. Strange the things you remember. Dont remember much about the actual football at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our fans were great ... ManU couldn't believe how loud we were, particularly singing all the way through halftime not only with Things can only get better, but also a great rendition of Sit Down.
  • Options
    Great day out,when Schmeichel went i thought maybe just maybe... they did as someone else pointed out change gear and beat us with ease but still a day to remember :)
  • Options
    Apart from the football, the Schmeichel incident and Leaburn's goal, I remember my seat being tucked way back in the corner of the stadium (good view though) and at half time trying to count how many 'boxes' there were at the back of the main stand, compared to the number along the East Stand at The Valley!
    Different world!
  • Options
    It was a brilliant day out, despite the eventual result.

I travelled up on the train with loads of Charlton, many who hadn't seen Charlton since we'd moved to Selhurst.
    Surprising how they all come crawling out of the woodwork for the special occasion!

I sat high up in one corner - but it was a sea of Charlton from corner to corner behind the goal, loads of singing, balloons and a real buzz that maybe, just maybe ....... but in reality, it was our cup final.

Old Trafford in those days had a capacity of 44,000 - and our 25% allocation meant 11,000 of us were there.

Highlight of the match for us was of course Schmeical being sent off. Everyone of us, it seemed, stood and roared "Off, Off, Off!" . And then he went!

What he didn't know was that Granty clean through probably would have missed anyway.

Utd must have been a goal up within 90 seconds into the second half. The ball seemed to riccochet around our box, Vaughan saved, but Hughes follow up took 2 deflections before squeezing into the net. There was no way back even though we tried to take the game to Utd, they just picked us off on the breakaway and scored easily - Kanchelskis was untouchable and just stripped our defenders for pace and 2 crisp finishes on the run.

But Charlton never gave up even at 3-0 down, and then Leaburn rose highest to head home a consolation goal.

But that wasn't just our 'cup-final' we lost. Next game we got beat somewhere like Tranmere and fell from a promotion chasing 2nd place and never even made the play-offs. The season with about a dozen games left just fell away.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Went with my dad, Schmeichel should have gone, he almost knocked Kim Grant into orbit[/quote]
    He did go didnt he?[/quote]

Yeah he did go but it took ages, and from what I remember came in the form of two yellows rather than a straight red
  • Options
    There was a lot of protest from Schmeichel waving his arms about - and a long delay before he walked.
    But I only remember a red card ........ for preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity, I assume.

It all happened way outside the box anyway, as Schmeichel came careering out of his area to flatten Granty.
  • Options
    fantastic day out, went on the train...v drunk, the game was a bit of a blur, apart the on the terrace at half time singing

Giggs and Kanchelskis(sp) were awsome that day !
  • Options
    Spooky this should go up today. This was the last game KB & I went on a coach from Bexleyheath. Exactly what we'll be doing tomorrow! I went absolutely mental when Leaburn scored. And that D'lite song drives me mad now!
  • Options
    Lived in Euston at time and drove up with some mates.
    Decided to park in one of those schools or offices near the ground that charge fiver or so for parking and as we pulled up, the very next car to park alongside us was my parents and sister who had driven up from Dartford.
  • Options
    Great day out, I also remember Fergies comments about the ref being embarrassed about the sending off decision when he saw it again - presumably before he himself had seen a replay - which red did you disagree with Fergie, the one for the foul or the one for the handball? I seem to remember he said no more about it afterwards - and of course never apologised to the ref either...