Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did any of you guys/gals go to this game?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cracking day out, shame about the result. Seem to remember we ended up in a pub in the peak district that night until the small hours. And remember having a piss stop and someone running round the hills chasing after a sheep.
  • Options
    Schmeicel actually went for handball and was claiming it wasn't deliberate. Everybody ignored the fact he'd absolutely clattered Grant, whose shot was on it's way in by the way. Steve Bruce gave the smuggest interview ever on MOTD and I've hated him since.

I remember driving up with one ticket short and holding up a sign to other Charlton fans saying, 'TICKET?' on the M6. Someone finally stopped on the hard shoulder and sold me one at face value of 7 pounds!

A great away day, but my favourite is either Carlisle away in 86, or the first leg play off at Ipswich.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Great day out, I also remember Fergies comments about the ref being embarrassed about the sending off decision when he saw it again - presumably before he himself had seen a replay - which red did you disagree with Fergie, the one for the foul or the one for the handball? I seem to remember he said no more about it afterwards - and of course never apologised to the ref either...

Spot on. I can hear him say it. Idiot.
  • Options
    Was anyone else on the coach back to Bexleyheath that seemed to take the strangest route back through the Peaks? Would have been lovely if it wasnt pitch black! Got in at a ridiculous hour!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    As a special treat for Jnr. we flew up (we live down the road from Gatwick) : took 50 minutes, got there a little early, but had a leisurely lunch and visited the OT museum. Still wonder if the result might have been different if Grant had gone through and scored: I think it would only have upset them and they'd have moved up a couple more gears. Stayed o'night with a mate in Preston and came back on Sunday (42 minutes: tail wind). Gritty got a bit wet coming over to wave to us with everybody singing the 'Got no hair' song but don't remember seeing Curbs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]And that D'lite song drives me mad now!

what - groove is in the heart?
  • Options
    lol ... perhaps she means D'ream ;-)
  • Options
    Didn't Gritty say to a fans meeting that they told the players not to push on and go for the win? We had so few fit players at the time, they were worried what it would do.
  • Options
    I was there too. All the emotions in one day but I am still left with the feeling "if only". Perhaps if we regularly had a Cup run that wouldn't be the case.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]I was there too. All the emotions in one day but I am still left with the feeling "if only". Perhaps if we regularly had a Cup run that wouldn't be the case.

A regular cup run ! ... that really is a d'ream ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lest we forget it was Mark Robson who did, errrr, their full back (great player name escapes me) to cross for Carlo, and a generous round of applause from the Manure fans when we scored too. Great day out, what everybody else says, and Giggs was awesome, as was Mark Hughes actually. I also really enjoyed the Jorge Costa last game, for a microsecond in that game Jorge came forward with the ball, and we all held our breath and thought 'maybe, maybe', it didn't happen then, but had he scored you would have heard the Charlton roar on the isle of wight.
  • Options
    Denis Irwin, Seth?
  • Options
    A great day out, standing on the terraces, the sending off, the faint glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe today could be our day...promptly doused around 60 seconds into the second half when Man U perhaps on the back of a Fergie half-time rollicking came out fighting. It was no disgrace to lose to the best team in the UK and maybe even Europe that day. We made them work for the win.
  • Options
    And to think we cocked the ticket alloacation up even though we had over 10,000 to play with!

Absolute no disgarce to lose to them, the second half perfomance with 10 men was simply unplayable.
  • Options
    On the way to the match we had been discussing how we could get anythng from this unwinnable game, and the best we could come up with was. Someone will punt the ball over the top to Grant, Schmiecle won't know that Grant never scores from any of his 1 on 1s and will bring him down, get a red card, we will score the penalty and hold on for a 1:0 victory. At the point when Grant was 6 foot up in he air and life was moving in slow motion we looked at each other in disbelief.

Other memeories of the game. Cantona looked overated, Giggs on the other hand was the best player I have ever seen (a record he kept unfortunatly nearly every time I saw him).

Man U also came out with one of the best Oppo chants ever when they returned the chant we had been making for most of the match and sang to us "Ten pence you only cost Ten pence". The rest of the ground however had no understanding of irony and soon changed the chant into the dull ten men chant.
  • Options
    10 mins of hope. That song at half time still makes me cringe. Actually enjoyed Blackburn in the round b4 more. Smoking huge cuban cigars afterwards with rik of old......
  • Options
    yes great day and great match till half time. its the first game id ever been to that had touts selling charlton tickets outside. a few had travelled up without them and if im right they were £25 matchday going for £200 or something stupid. there were a few manc in our end and they looked a bit silly when utd scored and they jumped up. i remember a chant of get em out, get em out, get em out going round the stand, as a few large charlton fans felt it was only polite to go over and say hello ;-)
  • Options
    Great game, even though the capacity is more now, the stadium was awesome. We threw it away by trying to pass it around to press home our man advantage rather than getting it to big Carl where it was sticking. It was typical Manchester weather, I went up on the shuttle from Heathrow and needed to get the bus back to the airport by 6.30, but streets were gridlocked. Missed the last flight so spent the night there waiting for the 1st flight out. A not so memorable weekend.
  • Options
    Old trafford is rubbish you get told to sit down every 2 seconds which i dont mind but then tell everyone else to sit all the united fans stand but of course just another case of Man united taking the right p*** out of visiting teams on and off the field.
  • Options
    We're talking about a special game 15 years ago, Rupert.

;o)