Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Away Game Ever?

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
The Man Utd cup thread got me thinking of classic away games.

As I said, my favourites I think are Carlisle away in 86 when we won 3-2 to go up after being 2 down for the whole event, Ipswich away in the play off first leg and probably for the match alone Liverpool away 3-3.

Comments

• Options
    Carlisle is definitely up there, also just about every Brighton away game was great, Burnley 4-4, Palaaarse when we took about 6 or 7,000.

Sure others will now remind of those which I have not remembered.
  • Options
    Utd away in the league 1990 when we were already down, great laugh. Or the 3-1 at Newcastle when we flew up there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Carlisle is definitely up there, also just about every Brighton away game was great

Such a shame Brighton is mid-week this year. Even more of a shame they had the Goldstone stolen from them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AshTray[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Carlisle is definitely up there, also just about every Brighton away game was great

Such a shame Brighton is mid-week this year. Even more of a shame they had the Goldstone stolen from them.

Yup, couldn't agree more ... always my favourite away day (or weekend) of the season. And I do miss the Goldstone, great little ground.
  • Options
    Recent times? Sheffield Wednesday away in the FA Cup at Hillsborough, 3 years ago? 4-2 win. Darren Bent was on fire.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    F.A Cup replay:1969: Sellout Park: Ray Treacy. Say no more!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]F.A Cup replay:1969: Sellout Park: Ray Treacey. Say no more!!!!

Oh yes, incredible night ... and what an enormous crowd. So many Charlton there as well. Next round (despite the result) weren't so bad either ... at Highbury.
  • Options
    My top 3:

Man City v Spurs (FAC 92/93) - finished 4-2 Spurs, Nayim hat-trick and a Steve Sedgley screamer from the edge of the box. The game had absolutely everything, including the most amazing goal from the Man City full-back Terry Phelan (anyone remember him) who ran the whole length of the pitch beating about 8 Spurs players in the process. 3 pitch invasions, a deliberately missed pen by Sheringham, 90 mins of absolute pandomonium.

Southampton v Spurs (FAC 94/95 I think) - the 6-2 win including the Ronnie Rosenthal hat-trick. Never seen nothing like it. Still hard to believe we were 2-0 down in the first 20 mins.

Last but least, West Ham v Spurs (in the Prem a few years back) - the 4-3, Stalteri in the 94th min of injury time.

(To be fair, it was hard to pick that three as there have been some blooming good away days over the years)
  • Options
    Arsenal 2-4
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]Stalteri in the 94th min of injury time.

Thats a lot of injury time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Villa 3 - 4 Charlton. Game had absolutely everything - best game I've been too, including the play-off match.
  • Options
    Playoff final at St Andrews.
  • Options
    2 0 in the snow
  • Options
    Coventry FA Cup game in 99/00 was pretty damn good.
  • Options
    crewe away 98 danny mills made his debut scored after about 3 mins and we started to believe we could make the play offs then there was a pitch invasion after we scored the 2nd and 3rd goals good memorys!!!!
  • Options
    ''we'll never play you again''
  • Options
    Either Millwall in the snow or West Ham in the 80s when we won 3-1, Jim Melrose scoring ater seven seconds etc.
  • Options
    Derby many years ago at the Baseball Ground, it had rained all day, the pitch was more glue than mud and Stuart Leary scored with a shot that just managed to roll over the line before it stuck in the mud.
    I went up there in a Lewis coach for my first long distance away match and as we left the ground with me singing "we won 1-0" I had my hat and scarf stolen off me by Derby supporters.
    - you always remember your first!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Villa 3 - 4 Charlton. Game had absolutely everything - best game I've been too, including the play-off match.

This is the greatest away game in my life, we went there down and out, every time we gave ourselves a life line, Villa came back, then we lost our keeper and were down to ten men, with stevie brown in goal and then, and then in the last minute step up danny mills and Mark Brights chest and we left in hope, this game had everything!! fantastic day
  • Options
    carlisle away when we went up plus 3 against newcastle, when we won at the end of the season either 2-0 or 3-0 leaburn scored, the 4-3 win from 3-0 down and the midweek 2-2 draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still think Wemberley 4-4 Sunderlnd was great playoff final know is wasn't away but was just generally a good day out.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arsenal away in the 4th round of the cup in 69. As a kid driving there with my Dad and his mates in a transit I was amazed by the huge army of Charlton fans we passed who were marching to the ground. They estimated there were 17000 Charlton fans at the game and I believe at 57,000 it was Arsenals biggest gate that season. Both promotion games at Carlisle were great as were Wolves, Ipswich away in the cup and Palace twice away a in 68/69 season. As someone the wrong side of 50 there was something magical about that 68/69 season, always refered to as "the good season" by fans of my age until Lennie and Curbs came along
  • Options
    Great thread helping to bring back the memories. Agree with Palace replay in '69, Villa, Carlisle x 2, Millwall in the snow (drove down from Sheffield for that one) and obviously Sunderland. But also for me the other play-off final replay against Leeds - a win never felt so good; Ridiculous 5-5 with Bristol Rovers; 1-0 at Old Trafford and strangely Tonbridge in the cup.
  • Options
    Cov 2 Charlton 3 FA Cup 5th Round 2000

1st leg play off game away Ipswich 98

Blackburn away FA Cup 4th Round Replay 94
  • Options
    Villa when Danny Mills scored a screamer to keep us up for another week.
    70000 Addicks in the Arthur Waite singing "we'll never play you again".
    The away leg at Ipswich in the Play Offs
    Bryan Hughes penalty knocking Chelski out at the Bridge.
    Getting soaked to the pants at Swindon.
    ... So many fine memories
  • Options
    Hmm. 7000 Addicks- just felt like 70000!
  • Options
    Knocking Chelsea out of the Carling cup at the Bridge. A great day out.
  • Options
    Spurs in the cup - 84 I think. My first cup game.
  • Options
    Easter 1980, the first season of the Conference League and the Vics are playing 3 away matches - Barnet on Good Friday, Maidstone on the Saturday and then Worcester on the Monday - so 7 teenagers decide to make a weekend of it and drive to all 3 matches.
    Good Friday and we arrive at a dump of ground call Barnet - cow sheds all round it and a sloping pitch to boot - can't remember the score, but we won. So we then travel down to Maidstone on the Friday night and spend the night touring the local watering holes. Next day we arrived at the ground, which was immaculate - very clean and painted in the team colours - I think gold and black ? (I think it had a dog track round it as well ?). The 7 of us arrived at 2pm to an empty ground, apart from a man in a suite up in the main stand - he beckoned us up to him. He turned out to be the Chairman of Maidstone, and invited us into the boardroom for a pint - what a gent ! We went on to win the match and travelled back to Cheshire quite happy. We travelled down to Worcester on the Monday and got beat - I think 2-1.
    I think I remember the weekend for several reasons, first season of the Conference, mixing it with the bigger semi-pro clubs, seeing different parts of the country and enjoying the watering holes along the way.
    Could any of you tell me what happened to Maidstone ? - I think I recall them selling their ground in the 90's (probably got houses on it now?) and then ground sharing for a while.
  • Options
    2 - 0 in the snow, such an estatic night! Plus, 1 - 0 against Palace in the cup at Sellout. Tracy wonder goal, oh yes!