Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Away Game Ever?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Old Trafford, 1985, Amos goal.[/quote]

Was there for that. That result cost Big Ron his job.

We went through a phase during that time of costing managers their job.
  • Options
    Celebrating promotion at Carlisle, Yeovil this weekend and the most memorable but for all the wrong reasons was when we lost 5-1 at Manchester City. 50,000 inside Maine Road, they won the league, great atmosphere, swapped a scarf for a hat with a City fan then got back to the coach to hear the story of the Bradford fire
  • Options
    Man City 1 -4 Charlton 28/12/00 - Claus Jenson scored with a tackle
    Palace 0-1 Charlton April 00 - 'We'll never play you again!'
    Southampton 0-1 Charlton 07/08

And Swindon in the rain as it wasn't as wet as Saturday! ;-)
  • Options
    Coventry 2 - 3 Charlton in the FA Cup in 2000 is another cracker. 2-0 down at half time we went on to produce the best 2nd half performance I've seen from Charlton side, absolutely battered a team from the division above on their own patch - went beserk when the 3rd went in. Those were the days when I never felt we were beaten - funnily enough, even at half time on Saturday I still fancied us to turn it around and we nearly did - perhaps this is a sign I'm truly starting to beleive in the team again.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Blackburn 1-0 win in FA Cup (Darren Pitcher)

Good shout, we had a few good matches at Premiership sides in the 90s (before we were a Premiership side ourselves), mid week trips to Anfield and St James Park stick in the mind (Who made Keegan Quit, who made Keegan Quit? - Mark Kinsella, Mark Kinsella!) as well as the Old Trafford match. Think Balckburn was the only one we won, but seem to remember Grant and Newts scoring belters at Anfield in separate matches and Robson bending in a cracking free kick at Newcastle - they were memorable experiences and we never got humiliated (except perhaps Old Trafford) even if the results were wrong!
  • Options
    March51 2 days ago edited quote# 7

F.A Cup replay:1969: Sellout Park: Ray Treacy. Say no more!!!!

i was there that night, great atmosphere and great night, didn't harry gregory score a penalty as well?
  • Options
    I've always looked back with fondness for the Battle of the Bridge and of course Morts in the snow.
  • Options
    Palace 0 Charlton 1 Kitson.
    Villa 3 Charlton 4
    Coventry 2 Charlton 3
    Port vale 0 Charlton 1 - the first ever 'Operation' away day
  • Options
    Newcastle 4-3 - I'd got steamed up before the game and was the only person to cheer when we scored our first!

Arsenal 4-2 victory at Highbury

Winning 3-2 at Coventry in the FA Cup - never been more certain of anything in my life that we were going to win

Man U - FA Cup Quarter Final - driving a minibus that day but hearing hilarious stories coming from the back all the way up there!

Wimbledon 5-4 win - Big Fat Pete with a rocket as well as Bowyer running the game
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Coventry 2 - 3 Charlton in the FA Cup in 2000 is another cracker. 2-0 down at half time we went on to produce the best 2nd half performance I've seen from Charlton side, absolutely battered a team from the division above on their own patch - went beserk when the 3rd went in. Those were the days when I never felt we were beaten - funnily enough, even at half time on Saturday I still fancied us to turn it around and we nearly did - perhaps this is a sign I'm truly starting to beleive in the team again.

I'm pretty sure that Coventry game was 2-2 at half time. I think we scored 2 goals in 5 minutes just before the break, and we suddenly knew it was on. That was in the middle of our record winning streak. I also remember going mental at Andy Hunt's goal, even though I didn't see it as there was a pillar in the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Most of those listed above are in my all time away-day greats. A match from my youth that still stands out is Brighton in 1974. I was in the home end where it was nice and dry but the away end was ablsolutely rammed with Charlton getting soaked. These were the days where you didn't need a ticket and all you had to do was turn up on the day and half of SE London managed to do just that. Don't know how many were there but there were big terrace surges when we scored.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Coventry 2 - 3 Charlton in the FA Cup in 2000 is another cracker. 2-0 down at half time we went on to produce the best 2nd half performance I've seen from Charlton side, absolutely battered a team from the division above on their own patch - went beserk when the 3rd went in. Those were the days when I never felt we were beaten - funnily enough, even at half time on Saturday I still fancied us to turn it around and we nearly did - perhaps this is a sign I'm truly starting to beleive in the team again.

I'm pretty sure that Coventry game was 2-2 at half time. I think we scored 2 goals in 5 minutes just before the break, and we suddenly knew it was on. That was in the middle of our record winning streak. I also remember going mental at Andy Hunt's goal, even though I didn't see it as there was a pillar in the way.

I seem to recall that we were 2 down pretty early on. I think it was Jonny Robinson that got the equaliser just before half time. Andy Hunt got the winner in the second half.

Great game but my bet of all time has to be the 4-3 against Villa. That game really did have everything.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]St.marys 2 seasons ago when we scored from a corner in stoppage time to win the game 1-0. Then on the Tuesday night at Ashton Gate we did exactly the same thing by scoring a last minute header from a corner to win 1-0![/quote]

Wasn't a corner it was a cross
  • Options
    January 1965, 3rd round FA Cup away at Cardiff. One of my first ever away matches. Won 2-0, Mike Baily scored an absolute screamer near the end to settle it. Huge following from SE7, the fans always turned out for the Cup. Trained it on a 'football special' from Paddington. Walked to the ground in pissing rain and I remember the locals being rather less than friendly even in those days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]

I seem to recall that we were 2 down pretty early on. I think it was Jonny Robinson that got the equaliser just before half time. Andy Hunt got the winner in the second half.

Had a feeling when I was typing it it might be wrong but didn't really have time to look it up at the time! My memory often fails me with these things, (until the thread about the Man U cup game the other day,I'd been labouring under the misaprehension that Schmeichel didn't get sent off at all. I felt a right tit when I read the old newspaper report - it wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been there!) still, whenever the goals came, it was a cracking game and a great fight back against supposedly superior opposition.

Villa will take some beating though - can't help thinking that with that game and the Sunderland play-off final my very best afternoons as an Addick may already be behind me! I seem to have made an unfortunate hadit of choosing to skip all of the best games in recent seasons!
  • Options
    Great thread.

Villa 4-3, Blackburn 1-0 in Cup, Utd after we were relegated, Fulham when we won 3-0 and as someone said absolutely lorded it, we'll never play you again Palarse game, I bloody missed the Millwall snow game as was out of the country, Tottenham when Aizlewood scored in Cup, Chelsea and Paul Miller, my first ever 'distance' away game Ipswich FA Cup 0-2, Swindon in the rain, Arsenal 0-0 in '98 - we took the piss that night, Luton when we were banned and got stuffed 5-1 (it was the getting in, not the game), Port Vale more us than them and Iwelumo's winner at Southampton couple of years back when I was with my son.
  • Options
    OK, memorable certainly, and not mentioned so far...4-1 win at QPR after going about 100 years without an away win. Mike Kenning, in his return spell with us, slaughtered them, a few Charlton in the away end where we scored 3, or was it 4 in the first half, and as the half time whistle blew one Addick wag shouted 'keep batting Charlton'. but those days we were decidedly decidedly average, and as I remember it was our worst ever turn out at Loftus road (unlike the famous 'walk' in 1968 where we lost 2-1, played brilliantly, and the support that day was incredible). I'm not sure, but despite that 4-1 away win i think we may have been relegated that season.
  • Options
    Seth, my 1st Away match !
  • Options
    Cheers, Chicago. I can't believe I forgot the Chelsea 1-1 at the Bridge, which relegated them.
    Paul Millers equaliser, Leaburn charging around wanting to kill anyone in a blue shirt.

And the Chelsea silence at the final whistle. Priceless.

Seth, I was there at that 4-1 win at Loftus Road. QPR were having a good season, and we were ....... erm, bottom.
    We were 4-0 up, until the last minute. Denis Bond scored, Mike Kenning was on fire and got a couple. Can't remember who got the other, Treacy, Peacock?

Next week we were home to top of the league Bolton and beat them 2-1, getting off the bottom.
    Week later at home to the new bottom team, Blackburn Rovers - we lost, and back on the bottom again.

But we stayed up by the skin of our teeth.
  • Options
    Nearly forgot 1-1 in the league cup at QPR when they were second in Div 1 75/6 brilliant away support that night. I cannot remember who scored or goal, Was it Flash?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]Nearly forgot 1-1 in the league cup at QPR when they were second in Div 1 75/6 brilliant away support that night. I cannot remember who scored or goal, Was it Flash?

Paddy Powell, if I remember....?
  • Options
    blackpool 1969, 3 - 0 up all headers, tees,booth and ? ended up 3 - 2 . they battered us for last half hour but we held out
  • Options
    Every single Third Division away game on the Lewis coach 1972-75, with driver Eddie 'Big Ed' Cecil and Chris Slattery, "I'm your 'appy currier, here's the football results, who needs a piss-stop, who found the ground at Walsall, Shrewsbury, Halifax etc ...?"

KGB man, Dennis, etc
    And Les Turner leading the singing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Every single Third Division away game on the Lewis coach 1972-75, with driver Eddie 'Big Ed' Cecil and Chris Slattery, "I'm your 'appy currier, here's the football results, who needs a piss-stop, who found the ground at Walsall, Shrewsbury, Halifax etc ...?"

KGB man, Dennis, etc
    And Les Turner leading the singing.

Blimey Les is showing his age now. Seems unable to be unable to stand up straight. Problems with his back poor chap.
  • Options
    Chelsea 88
    W Ham 92
    Blackburn 94
    Wimbeldon 95
    Ipswich 95
    Millwall 95
    Ipswich 98
    Coventry 00
    Arsenal 02
    Chelsea 05