Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yeovil 1-1 Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    what rumour did he hear about Bailey as I was confronted by 2 palace fans today telling me he was going to them told them were to go,but if others have heard it you don't know.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Look. My post was not an attempt to be negative on a day when it seems obvious that the team put in a real shift. Its just what I heard and I didn1t think it waranted a thread. Think you are being a bit prescious about this but I pulled the post because I forgot that there are so many on here not able to accept anything at face value but have to have a dig. Get a life mate.[/quote]

I couldn't give a monkeys if you want to post negative stuff. Posted enough of it myself over the months. Why add what will clearly be seen as an attempt to knock the positive vibe, to that thread?.

As for get a life......that's rich coming from someone who spent the summer in perpetual torment posting on an hourly basis lamenting the lack of take over.
  • Options
    chill guys todays not a day to have a barnie,i a little gutted we didn't win great fightback and it seems we battered them today, i fancied us big time today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Look. My post was not an attempt to be negative on a day when it seems obvious that the team put in a real shift. Its just what I heard and I didn1t think it waranted a thread. Think you are being a bit prescious about this but I pulled the post because I forgot that there are so many on here not able to accept anything at face value but have to have a dig. Get a life mate.

I couldn't give a monkeys if you want to post negative stuff. Posted enough of it myself over the months. Why add what will clearly be seen as an attempt to knock the positive vibe, to that thread?.

As for get a life......that's rich coming from someone who spent the summer in perpetual torment posting on an hourly basis lamenting the lack of tack over.

Why would it be seen as an attempt to knock the poitive vibe. It was just a post. Not meant to be either negative or positive, just a post about what I had heard. If you seriously think that people anaylse every post with a view to being positive or negative then I despair for their fragile nature. I stand by what I said. Get a life.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]How many different goalscorers is it now?

In no order - Sam, Burton, Dailly, Sodje S, Sodje A, Wagstaff, Llera, Semedo, Shelvey, McLeod, Bailey.

Who am I missing (in league games)?

Tuna, McKenzie were in JPT matches...

Mooney
  • Options
    Was out all afternoon heard Sodje was sent off and we were a goal down and expected to return to read of a defeat.

A point with 10 men is all good. Roll on Tuesday!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Bold decision to swap racon for sodje minor so well done PP
    Wasn't there but listened on CAFC Player. He's been critisized for making changes too late and not being pro-active, great to see him going for it with two strikers and it working as hoped.

Safer option would have been to keep the four man midfield and go with 2 strikers if we hadn't equalised with 20 minutes to go. Not every manager would go for a 3 man midfield and not every team would be able to play with only 3 midfield either. Certainly not some of the midfielders we've had other the last few years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]He's been critisized for making changes too late and not being pro-active, great to see him going for it with two strikers and it working as hoped.

agreed.

for the second week running, credit where credit is due. and once again a lot of it is due today.
  • Options
    Well done ,good result and big respect to the travelling fans.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Bold decision to swap racon for sodje minor so well done PP
    Wasn't there but listened on CAFC Player. He's been critisized for making changes too late and not being pro-active, great to see him going for it with two strikers and it working as hoped.

Safer option would have been to keep the four man midfield and go with 2 strikers if we hadn't equalised with 20 minutes to go. Not every manager would go for a 3 man midfield and not every team would be able to play with only 3 midfield either. Certainly not some of the midfielders we've had other the last few years.

I don't see where he was pro-active? His initial sub was to go 4-4-1 (and play for the draw?). Only when we went a goal down we went 4-3 2 which is REactive in my book.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    Wasn't there but listened on CAFC Player.He's been critisized for making changes too late and not being pro-active, great to see him going for it with two strikers and it working as hoped.

I don't see where he was pro-active? His initial sub was to go 4-4-1 (and play for the draw?). Only when we went a goal down we went 4-3 2 which is REactive in my book.

Surely a team needs two centre backs?

He had little option but to bring Llera on with only 10 men.
  • Options
    2nd half we absolutely battered them. Hit the post, hit the bar and there keeper made some excellent saves. All in all even with the weather being atrocious a fantastic match to attend.

PS Did anyone else notice that Sodje A had trouble running.

PPS The hog roast and the pub itself were top notch. I wonder if Tavern is enjoying his sourkraut, served to him by men in leather shorts.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]
    Wasn't there but listened on CAFC Player.He's been critisized for making changes too late and not being pro-active, great to see him going for it with two strikers and it working as hoped.

Surely a team needs two centre backs?

He had little option but to bring Llera on with only 10 men.

Well Proactive would have been to leave Mooney on and take off Racon at that point.

Nothing too wrong with what he done, just don't say he was proactive when he wasn't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]I don't see where he was pro-active? His initial sub was to go 4-4-1 (and play for the draw?). Only when we went a goal down we went 4-3 2 which is REactive in my book.
    He put on another striker and went on the attack. Could have sat back playing 4-4-1 for longer.

Fair enough he didn't make the change straight away, but going 4-3-2 in the first half could have been a big mistake. The team went off at half time, he made the change, and they attacked and played with confidence.

Yes he reacted to going 1-0 down, but he made the right change at half time to turn it around. Half time gave Parky the chance to make the change and re-organise the team more than he could in the middle of the game. Also have to consider Akpo's fitness, probably not ready to play 70+ minutes.

I know what you mean, but it was the kind of change he was criticized for not making in other games. That's my main point, it wasn't a necessary change and it was a risk.
  • Options
    on way bk to waterloo, wet, soaked and drowned. Never ever been that wet at a game. Superb performance.
  • Options
    well done shirty and all the others that travelled, you deserved every ounce of grit and determination it sounds like we showed today... a credit to the club
  • Options
    So was it wetter than the never-ending deluge at the County Ground, Swindon a few seasons back??

I didn't think you could getter any wetter in 90 minutes than that afternoon...must be a West Country thing.

Congratulations to those there on a great show of support.... its snowing like mad here as i type this mind you & a few degrees below zero!
  • Options
    Sounds like Akpo was very miffed about his big brother getting sent off and unleashed the fury in the second half.

To those that were there:
    1. Well done on the awesome support!
    2. Do you think Sodje junior is now a shoe-in to start on Tuesday?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Landed at Gatwick at 6.30 pm this evening and was disappointed when I turned on my phone and got a text saying 1-1.

Got home and read we'd played with ten men for almost an hour and was really pleased with a battling point. Well done the team, and Parky for reorganising so sucessfully. Can't wait to see Sodje's wonder goal on tv...

Looking forward to three pts v Bristol Rovers at the Valley on Tues night. But it would be nice to start winning away from home again. Please! We've got just two more chances this side of Christmas with Brighton and Stockport. Both very winnable and the excellent travelling support really deserves a victory on the road for the first time since August as a reward for their loyalty.
  • Options
    I have never been so wet in my entire life!! Superb battling 2nd half performance in totally ridiculous conditions. The rain was so hard at the end you couldn't even see the far end of the pitch. Well done to all the players and to Parky who was totally pro-active in going out in the 2nd half and trying to win it. I would love to know how on earth Akpo was flagged offside for his 1st goal. His 2nd was a brilliant strike though. Yeovil keeper somehow kept them in the game. On another day we would have beaten them 4 or 5 - 1, even with 10 men. Great performance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic performance from the boys, we sat in the nice dry stand and now back in our nice warm house in Devon. :o)

My take on todays match.

Was impressed by Yeovil in the first half passed the ball around neatly, good first touch and overall seemed to be coping better with the conditions. Obika was very pacey up front, and they sprung the offside trap a couple of times ( the linesman at our end was very poor).

Became apparent after 10 mins or so that not only did Charlton have to cope with playing into the high wind, but the half we were attacking had a lot of standing water on the pitch which made our passing game ineffective so chances were limited.

Definite sending off for Sodje, right in front of us. As Yeovil had the majority of the play it was definitely the right decision to bring on Llera and right to take off a striker rather than a midfielder, as we weren't able to do much in the final third

Obika took his goal well, I don't think Ikeme could have done anything differently.

Definitely had thier weetabix at half time!

In the first half I thought some of our tackling was a bit petulant particularly in midfield, (lots of hand gestures and moans) but right from the start of the second half we seemed to have a different attitude, a lot more businesslike and determined.

We totally dominated the half, it reminded me a bit of kids football, when the opposition have a ' keeper who can't clear the ball past the halfway line. Every time they cleared it high, the ball would hold up and we'd be first to the ball. When they cleared it low, we were first to the ball every time.

Both Bailey and Basey tried to score direct from corners, the wind was strong enough for it to wip it back in. Bailey actually thought he'd got one in, but it was only side netting :-)

Didn't think the offside goal was offside(that poor lino again), Akpo's goal was a peach

Their Keeper and Bailey MOM for me. Can't quite believe we didn't win it, but it feels like a win.

(wooly) hats off to those on the open terrace, didn't stop singing (and bouncing) all game, very impressive
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: southamptonaddick[/cite]2nd half we absolutely battered them. Hit the post, hit the bar and there keeper made some excellent saves. All in all even with the weather being atrocious a fantastic match to attend.

PS Did anyone else notice that Sodje A had trouble running.

PPS The hog roast and the pub itself were top notch. I wonder if Tavern is enjoying his sourkraut, served to him by men in leather shorts.

LOL,
    How are you fella?boring time in franfurt!however never soukraut for me!

Took over nearly 2 hours to get back from heathrow as well! lol
  • Options
    Well, it's nearly 10pm .........and one drowned rat just got home to equally soggy Cornwall.

Spent the whole afternoon and journey home tonight in wringing wet clothes, like the other 1500 of us - just open terracing and no roof, and heavy rain driven into our faces by winds gusting at 40mph.

If ever it was a game of 2 halves ......... it was so difficult to defend against that wind, as Yeovil found out in the 2nd half.
    Goal kicks would barely reach the centre circle and then would suddenly vere off at 90 degrees and go out for a throw.
    One Yeovil 6-yard box clearance hung in the air just by the 'D' and then unbelievably boomeranged out for a corner to the total panic of their defenders. Players found it hard to keep their footing and the ball skidded off the wet surface like the bouncing bomb in the Dam Busters film.

But what a performance by a totally fired up 10-man Charlton in that 2nd half, with Yeovil literally limited to just a handful of occasional breakaways and just one shot on goal.

We thought that Little Bruv Sodge had equalised straight after the restart after their keeper saved brilliantly from an edge of the box free kick and Sodge slammed the rebound into the net - and then the Lino raised his flag.

Sodge then equalised on the run from the edge of the box with a viscious unstoppable effort. And then repeated the move a few minutes later and with keeper beaten all hands up, the shot cannoned against the post.

The Yeovil goal led a charmed life, a shot struck Burton on the line and the rebound blocked; the keeper performed miracles almost on his own, and how he managed to touch one chip onto the bar, God only knows.

Bottom line, though, we should have won that game emphatically - if only a little more composure in front of goal. But you can't fault attitude and effort. Nice touch - at the final whistle in torrential rain, Parky in his suit ran right across the pitch to the Charlton end, and with all the players led their salute to us wringing wet supporters.

Earlier at the Rose & Crown, it was a fantastic atmosphere amongst all us Lifers. Big thanks to Curb_It for arranging it and her buddy Heather the landlady for the great welcome, and putting up with our singing!

And, highlight of the day, I met KB's Lil'Sis......! ;o)
  • Options
    echo that Red Pete ! wetest I've ever been at a football match and just so glad I took a change of clothes with me - not sure what the car parked next to us in the car park thought though when I stripped off & got changed before driving home !!

Great, great fightback frm the lads in the second half & congrats must go o Parky for going 4-3-2 after half time and immeadiately putting Yeovil on the back foot (although the weather had a lot to do with that)

Bit miffed we only got a point, but would have settled for that at half time - Akpo Sodje could had have a hat trick and showed what a powerful forward can do to defences.

all-in-all an excellent day !!

can't wait for tuesday !!!!!!!!1
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Well, it's nearly 10pm .........and one drowned rat just got home to equally soggy Cornwall.

Spent the whole afternoon and journey home tonight in wringing wet clothes, like the other 1500 of us - just open terracing and no roof, and heavy rain driven into our faces by winds gusting at 40mph.

If ever it was a game of 2 halves ......... it was so difficult to defend against that wind, as Yeovil found out in the 2nd half.
    Goal kicks would barely reach the centre circle and then would suddenly vere off at 90 degrees and go out for a throw.
    One Yeovil 6-yard box clearance hung in the air just by the 'D' and then unbelievably boomeranged out for a corner to the total panic of their defenders. Players found it hard to keep their footing and the ball skidded off the wet surface like the bouncing bomb in the Dam Busters film.

But what a performance by a totally fired up 10-man Charlton in that 2nd half, with Yeovil literally limited to just a handful of occasional breakaways and just one shot on goal.

We thought that Little Bruv Sodge had equalised straight after the restart after their keeper saved brilliantly from an edge of the box free kick and Sodge slammed the rebound into the net - and then the Lino raised his flag.

Sodge then equalised on the run from the edge of the box with a viscious unstoppable effort. And then repeated the move a few minutes later and with keeper beaten all hands up, the shot cannoned against the post.

The Yeovil goal led a charmed life, a shot struck Burton on the line and the rebound blocked; the keeper performed miracles almost on his own, and how he managed to touch one chip onto the bar, God only knows.

Bottom line, though, we should have won that game emphatically - if only a little more composure in front of goal. But you can't fault attitude and effort. Nice touch - at the final whistle in torrential rain, Parky in his suit ran right across the pitch to the Charlton end, and with all the players led their salute to us wringing wet supporters.

Earlier at the Rose & Crown, it was a fantastic atmosphere amongst all us Lifers. Big thanks to Curb_It for arranging it and her buddy Heather the landlady for the great welcome, and putting up with our singing!

And, highlight of the day, I met KB's Lil'Sis......! ;o)
    cheers fella<that will mean a lot
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite] not sure what the car parked next to us in the car park thought though when I stripped off & got changed before driving home !!
    1[/quote]

You were not the only one Golf. I however didn't have a change of clothes, so was just in my boxers the whole drive home, cue some interesting rections at petrol stops.

Never been that wet at a game, EVER.
  • Options
    I'll do a report when i'm sober and find a cure for pneumonia. COYR.
  • Options
    mental weather. how we didnt win is beyond me, gonna have a massive cold now
  • Options
    Just got back. Great (if very wet) day and i haven't enjoyed a game/day like that for years. Performance to be appreciated and a great laugh. Weather played a part but we were obviously the better team. We should have won but i'm not gonna make any negative points as i'm still on a high and well chuffed with Parky, the team and us fans....And the Rose an Crown, Awesome pub.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited November 2009