Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leeds fan here

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
Hi guys, are you confident of going up this year? I know you have had a couple of dodgy spells of late but I heard you put in a great performance with 10 men yesterday. Norwich fans are confident (or most seem to be) that they will get 2nd spot by the end of the season,basically by the way you are playing. Good to see us doing very well and I hope we dont have a wobble like we did last season.Only time will tell. Cant believe we lost to your rivals,Millwall!!!

Hope both get promoted.Dont mind charlton but not so keen on Norwich so another year down in lg1 for them will be fine by me.

Comments

• Options
    I'd be much more concerned about Huddersfield than Norwich. Think it could be a Yorkshire 1, 2 - hope for our sake I'm wrong.
  • Options
    It seems to be shaping up as Leeds and ANother for automatic promotion.

I just hope ANother is us!
  • Options
    A long way to go yet ......... even if Leeds are now 9 points clear of 3rd place, it only takes a little iffy run with defeats in 6-pointer matches and it could be wide open again.

That's what history tell us. Personally I think Leeds will see it through and maybe in style.
    Consistancy is the key and so far that's exactly what Leeds have shown.

As for the rest of us ..... well it's about being able to put out your strongest team, and having a ruthless attitude - it's a mental strength thing.

Charlton have got every chance of promotion; we certainly have the ability - and the last couple of games have shown the necessary mentality.

But then Norwich, Huddersfield and others will also apply themselves in much the same way.
  • Options
    I think you guys have the advantage of a settled team, which you've been able to reinforce, you've got the best striker in the division, and you know the league. That's why you will probably be champions. Huddersfield have lots of goals in the side, so they they deserve everybody's respect. Norwich and us are in the process of rebuilding, so we are bound to be less consistent. Most Charlton fans seem to think we don't quite have enough for an automatic promotion spot, but I think that if we continue in decent form until the end of the year, we could well do it. We need to make a permanent signing to partner Deon Burton up front, but at least we now have some candidates. And we need to work out how to fit Jonjo Shelvey, probably the most gifted player in the league, into the team. If we do that, we'll go up with you.
    So what do you think Spainboy? Its always good to get perspectives from fans of other clubs.
  • Options
    It looks like Leeds plus one other...

As for our chances, we have a good team and had a wobble, but have signed a couple of strikers to help Burton. Much I think will depend on the transfer window and if we get another player or two in to strengthen our squad and of course not losing any of our star players. Still all to play for and the next few matches don't look too hard on paper.
  • Options
    It's two out of Charlton, Norwich and Huddersfield for me. Leeds will choke again.
  • Options
    Yeah Leeds will bottle it and just scrape play offs
  • Options
    on yer sun bed spainboy?
  • Options
    Leeds promoted thru p/offs.(3rd time lucky).
    We WILL win this league and Naarwich will be second.
  • Options
    Leeds up with one out of Charlton, Norwich & Huddersfield for the other automatic spot.

As BFR said I think the January transfer window could prove to be vital.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leeds will choke at some stage. Naaarich and Huddersfield aren't any better than us. MK Dons will be in the mix. Colchester playing hoof ball will also be uo there. maybe Millwall.....
  • Options
    Leeds as Champions

An absolute dogfight between Charlton, Norwich, Huddersfield and Colchester

MK Dons sneaking 6th
  • Options
    Southampton?

I'll get my coat!
  • Options
    I agree with ISawLeaburnScore... although you still can't rule out Millwall up until Sat. Hopefully we will beat then on Dec 19th?? or is it 9th?
  • Options
    19th mate...

Think the MK Dons will be pipping Millwall, Bristol Rovers and Southampton to that last PO spot
  • Options
    I actually think I'm going to wait to see what happens in January as I reckon that might have a big influence. We know Saints have a bit of cash to splash but Leeds etc might decide go for broke and sign people, or any team's star men may get snapped up by Champ teams. For example we may have to start from scratch re: strikers or we might even extend the services of Mooney or Mrs Sodje's baby. Think we'll be there or thereabout for sure though, can see the lst month or two seeing a lot of scrapping for/between the top six sides.
  • Options
    If we are there or thereabouts then the tension leading into the back of the season will be massive......
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]I think you guys have the advantage of a settled team, which you've been able to reinforce, you've got the best striker in the division, and you know the league. That's why you will probably be champions. Huddersfield have lots of goals in the side, so they they deserve everybody's respect. Norwich and us are in the process of rebuilding, so we are bound to be less consistent. Most Charlton fans seem to think we don't quite have enough for an automatic promotion spot, but I think that if we continue in decent form until the end of the year, we could well do it. We need to make a permanent signing to partner Deon Burton up front, but at least we now have some candidates. And we need to work out how to fit Jonjo Shelvey, probably the most gifted player in the league, into the team. If we do that, we'll go up with you.
    So what do you think Spainboy? Its always good to get perspectives from fans of other clubs.[/quote]

Part of me thinks we will choke it at some stage but another part of me thinks that maybe the players are too frightened to lose their place this season. I was very impressed with Brighton when they played Southampton and I honestly thought they would scalp us it wasn't the case.Maybe I should have more faith in my team but we did blow it last season around this time,however McAllister isn't a patch on Grayson who has got things right from day one even down to substitutions that change the game for us.There was always question marks over McAllister's tactical changes. Plus we don't have Steve Staunton as defence coach now. I think by this time last year we had the 4th worst defence in league one,now we have the best defence record in England and that's including the prem.A complete vast change. To be fair scoring was never our problem last year it was our defence that lost us many points over xmas.

I think Charlton will do ok.everyone has a blip and yours is now but there are a few decent teams this year and the likes of huddersfield and Norwich wont be too far behind especially if Huddersfield tighten up their defence a bit, however Ive a feeling that Norwich will sell before they buy in Jan.got a sneaky suspicion that Hoolahan will be gone and Norwich fans think the same. Will Norwich be as strong in the second half of the season? Im not so sure.
    Ive a feeling that both Leeds and Charlton will get the top 2 spots still. You were very impressive at Elland Rd.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Leeds will not choke this year for five reasons:

(1) They have by far the best squad in this Division:

1 Casper Ankergren (G)
    2 Jason Crowe (D)
    3 Patrick Kisnorbo (D)
    5 Rui Marques (D)
    6 Richard Naylor (D)
    7 David Prutton (M)
    8 Neil Kilkenny (M)
    9 Jermaine Beckford (F)
    10 Luciano Becchio (F)
    12 Shane Higgs (G)
    13 Mike Grella (F)
    14 Jonathan Howson (F)
    16 Bradley Johnson (M)
    17 Lubomir Michalik (D)
    18 Andy Robinson (M)
    19 Ben Parker (M)
    20 Tresor Kandol (F)
    21 Enoch Showunmi (F)
    22 Andy Hughes (M)
    23 Robert Snodgrass (F)
    25 Alan Martin
    26 Leigh Bromby (D)
    27 Davide Somma (F)
    31 Jonathan Webb (D)
    32 Aidan White (D)
    33 Josh Falkingham (M)
    4 Michael Doyle (M)
    30 Frank Fielding (G)
    28 Max Gradel (M)
    15 Sam Vokes (F)

(2) They have one of the best young Managers in the country.

(3) Despite the fact that they are top scorers in the Division it is their defensive record that is most impressive. They have let in just 8 goals in 16 matches and even without Beckford, they are more than capable of nicking games 1-0.

(4) They've been there before.

(5) Realistically who is going to finish above them?
  • Options
    AA is right - Leeds won't choke this season

their squad has too much depth and they have a top manager in Grayson

only thing that could throw a bit is if Beckford goes in January but as he's out of contract at the end of the season, I'd expect him to stay and then consider his options in the summer

2nd is very much up for grabs and we are in the driving seat IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't think they'll exactly choke completely but I feel they'll have a lean patch somewhere along the line and if we stay in touch we just might catch 'em.
  • Options
    Was chatting with a Yeovil fan after the game and he reckons we were the best team they've played this season.
    My immediate reaction was 'have you played Leeds yet'.
    He said they went up to Leeds a couple of weeks back and lost 4-0 but still thinks all round we were a better side. So on that note it's us and Leeds for promotion!
  • Options
    Spainboy,

I hope Leeds and Charlton both go up automatically as both are big clubs with huge support compared to other clubs in the league and I believe the Championship is more our level. I kinda feel sorry for Leeds as they had the 15 point deduction when they first went down to League One and they did really well by finishing in the play-offs only to lose out there. Last season you boys missed out in the play-offs again which shows that automatic promotion is the key for both clubs. I really wouldn't want Charlton to finish in the play-offs as it only takes one mistake and it could cost us promotion! This would be heartbreaking if we stay in the top 2 for the majority of the season only to get a few bad results in the last few games. So lets hope we both get outta this small division!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]Spainboy,

I hope Leeds and Charlton both go up automatically as both are big clubs with huge support compared to other clubs in the league and I believe the Championship is more our level. I kinda feel sorry for Leeds as they had the 15 point deduction when they first went down to League One and they did really well by finishing in the play-offs only to lose out there. Last season you boys missed out in the play-offs again which shows that automatic promotion is the key for both clubs. I really wouldn't want Charlton to finish in the play-offs as it only takes one mistake and it could cost us promotion! This would be heartbreaking if we stay in the top 2 for the majority of the season only to get a few bad results in the last few games. So lets hope we both get outta this small division![/quote]

Playoffs will be extremely hard this season. Imagine Millwall,Huddersfield and Norwich in it this season? I think looking at Swansea and Leicester is an incentive in itself that both clubs need to go back up. Leicester wouldn't be that high up in the championship right now hadn't they dropped down into league one last season. Momentum is the key and if we both go up this season we could be back in the prem before you know it. However one step at a time but still food for thought.
  • Options
    Promotion this season is a must for us or we could be stuck in this league for a long time. Teams like Huddersfield and Norwich will be strong again next season and i think Southampton will be next seasons title favourites. Whereas we'd probably have to sell players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]

At this stage of the season, how can anyone be right ? Nobody has a crystal ball, nobody knows.
    There's two thirds of the season left to play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

At this stage of the season, how can anyone be right ? Nobody has a crystal ball, nobody knows.

True and a transfer window to negotiate!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

I don't have a crystal ball but will tell you now that the 1/3 with the Bookies and 1.36 on Betfair is like finding money in the street. Where else can you get that sort of return for less than six months investement?

I will, of course, be missing on here during May should Leeds not win ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

I don't have a crystal ball but will tell you now that the 1/3 with the Bookies and 1.36 on Betfair is like finding money in the street. Where else can you get that sort of return for less than six months investement?

Stick Chelsea and Newcastle in the bet as well and there's a fair chance you'll be rich in May
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

Stick Chelsea and Newcastle in the bet as well and there's a fair chance you'll be rich in May

I have actually done just that. Chelsea, Newcastle and Leeds to win their leagues - treble at 7.50. Potential winnings: £270. Newcastle is the only dodgy one in my opinion...