Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"There's Only One Lennie Lawrence"...........

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
Really hope that echoes around the ground at some stage tonight.

Lennie is undoubtedly one of the top 3 managers in our whole history, and many would put up a decent argument that he was one of those people who without their contribution, we may not now have a club at all, let alone back at The Valley.

With that in mind, i really do hope people give him the respect he deserves tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Have to agree
  • Options
    A Top Top Manager compared to the likes of Dowie & Pardew of recent years, in actual fact I would say he was my favourite all time Manager even more than Curbs.
  • Options
    can he not be 'welcomed' back before the game when the teams are read out then?
  • Options
    I hope it would go without saying that Lennie should get a big welcome from Charlton fans. A legend in the truest sense.
  • Options
    "great guy but your book was poor"
  • Options
    Hope you sign his name into the stars guys.....
  • Options
    I hope Lennie gets a good reception.

I can't see Parky moaning about us acknowledeging former legends like the scumbag Pardew.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Hope you sign his name into the stars guys.....
    That's a special request going out to any deaf fans, is it? ;o)
  • Options
    Agreed. Would love to hear that got a great reception.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]A Top Top Manager compared to the likes of Dowie & Pardew of recent years, in actual fact I would say he was my favourite all time Manager even more than Curbs.

100% agree mate. Lennie = Legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lennie Legend Lawrence!
  • Options
    no chant for lennie tonight sadly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]no chant for lennie tonight sadly

No chant, no mention over the mic (unless i missed it) Mentions from Parky, Gritt and on the fans page in the programme. A two page photo of the dugout at Carlisle in 86 as well.
  • Options
    was disapointed that Lennie wasn't welcomed back over the tannoy, can't see what harm it would have done. THe man's a legend.
  • Options
    Lennie didn't make it tonight.He thought that while he was down here he'd make an emotional return to Selhurst before coming to the Valley.And got lost.....again.
  • Options
    Really disappointed that no mention was made of Lennie when he came out over the tannoy to allow the ground to show their appreciation of the great man. Maybe he said he didn’t want a fuss and specifically said no announcement was to be made?

Odd that Steve Waggot’s page (club director) made not a single mention of the great man returning whilst we had to read his views of what happened in Paris 6 days ago. Good to see Gritty and Parky make mentions of the event in their columns.
  • Options
    Disgraceful. Short memories when it comes down to it.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If only we knew who was the tanoy man we could have a go at him for no "please show your apprecation" for a true charlton legend.... diddy david hamilton at fulham wouldn't have let a returning hero go un announced.. sack the tanoy man!

Sorry dave he he ;-)
  • Options
    BDL,

would i be right or wrong to assume there was a specific instruction to you (either by the club or by Lennie) to not mention him over the tannoy last night ?
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited November 2009
    No specific instructions were given to me. I was about to welcome him back but he disappeared back inside and the moment was lost.

He's at the Valley on the 5th December signing his book and I hope we have a proper chance to welcome him home then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SW / SK probably don't know what he'd done for the club in the past which is probably why nothing was done....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]SW / SK probably don't know what he'd done for the club in the past which is probably why nothing was done....

cat-scratch.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]SW / SK probably don't know what he'd done for the club in the past which is probably why nothing was done....

cat-scratch.jpg

Possibly, but I think Suzi is right.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Did you see them over on 606?
    Not very happy with BDL?
    It's all his fault.
    ' Billy Bunter' he called you BDL!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lennie was great against brissle, he came up to see Walshie and Bolder, Humphries He spent time with those that approached him was very complementry about his whole reception that he had recieved from those within the club.

I think it is all BDL's fault personally obviously a man just doing the job like the old wazzock :-)( sorry Dave) who used to do iti mean who else could have introduced the great man shame we aint got no one who is proper charlton on the tannoy i reckon NSS or Suicide Steve as he is now affectionatly known :-)
  • Options
    Think it was up to the supporters on this one. SW/SK have to be seen as supporting their current manager 100%, part of their job. Had anything 'official' been organised, it could have been misconstrued. Parky knows he hasn't yet fully won the fans over, uncertainty still lurks in every corner, and that for me was the problem. Parky and the team needed to be 100% focussed on winning the match and to feel that support for them was 100%. Whilst I fully agree with the sentiments expressed about Lennie and have total respect for him, I don't feel that expressing those sentiments just before an important match would have helped Parky and the players.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Did you see them over on 606?
    Not very happy with BDL?
    It's all his fault.
    ' Billy Bunter' he called you BDL!

Sticks and Stones - I assume that the old Cyber warrior Mr. Gray was responsible for this?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]No specific instructions were given to me. I was about to welcome him back but he disappeared back inside and the moment was lost.

He's at the Valley on the 5th December signing his book and I hope we have a proper chance to welcome him home then.

According to the OS Lennie will be in the shop from 10-11.30 on the 5th December before making his way to Colchester where Bristol Rovers are playing that day so no welcome back that day either then.

Perhaps the next time a legend of the club returns in an official capacity for only the second time in 18 years the club get themselves organised and show the man the respect he deserves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]No specific instructions were given to me. I was about to welcome him back but he disappeared back inside and the moment was lost.

According to the OS Lennie will be in the shop from 10-11.30 on the 5th December before making his way to Colchester where Bristol Rovers are playing that day so no welcome back that day either then.

Perhaps the next time a legend of the club returns in an official capacity for only the second time in 18 years the club get themselves organised and show the man the respect he deserves.

er yeah totally agree with that one.....

Bit ridiculous that it was a damp squib..... he only had an integral part in keeping the club alive.....
  • Options
    was this the first time that he has returned to the valley then?