Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Akpo Sodje (ed. Loan extended until Jan 9th)

Should we sign him?
Discuss

Comments

• Options
    Too early to tell wouldn't you say?
    He's got off to a great start of course but remember, one swallow doesn't make a summer......... and all that.
    Come back and ask us again in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    I think he'd put more skill up front than Mcleod so yes if we off load Mcleod
  • Options
    Yes presence up front is scaring defenders also Mcenzie looks like he cannot play more than one game a month
  • Options
    love hes effort
  • Options
    Akpo for PM.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Until proven otherwise I would have the same concerns regarding fitness about Akpo as I would McKenzie. In the last 5 seasons he has only started 78 League games in total. Can we afford to carry two strikers with a history of being injured?

And when I say that I am assuming Dicko and/or Fleetwood leave in the window and that we keep Mooney which would leave us with Burton (playing with hernia), Mooney, McKenzie, Akpo, McLeod (enough said) and Tuna (won't be risked by Parky).
  • Options
    If we can get him, then we should in a hearbeat.
  • Options
    He's a presence.Gets in the face of defenders and generally gives them a rough ride.We have nobody else at the club like that.That's a yes from me.
  • Options
    Has he only started 78 league games due to injury or because the manager hasn't fancied him? Noticed in the programme tonight he said he was on the bench 12 games in a row at Wednesday. Whats good about Burton, Mooney and Akpo is any 2 out of that 3 can play together and score goals. Does anyone know how many games Burton and Akpo played together at Wednesday?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Has he only started 78 league games due to injury or because the manager hasn't fancied him? Noticed in the programme tonight he said he was on the bench 12 games in a row at Wednesday. Whats good about Burton, Mooney and Akpo is any 2 out of that 3 can play together and score goals. Does anyone know how many games Burton and Akpo played together at Wednesday?

League record for Wednesday since they signed him from Port Vale:

'07/'08 - 16 starts
    '08/'09 - 2 starts
    '09/'10 - 0 starts

So he has actually only started in 18 games out of approximately 100.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still think its too early but he's making all the right moves so far!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Has he only started 78 league games due to injury or because the manager hasn't fancied him? Noticed in the programme tonight he said he was on the bench 12 games in a row at Wednesday. Whats good about Burton, Mooney and Akpo is any 2 out of that 3 can play together and score goals. Does anyone know how many games Burton and Akpo played together at Wednesday?

'07/'08 - 16 starts
    '08/'09 - 2 starts
    '09/'10 - 0 starts

Thats pretty poor, wonder how many games he's actually came off the bench though. I always thought he was a good player for them. I know he had a horrible leg break a while ago, an injury that was not down to lack of fitness as that can happen to any player. He's recovered from that very well, which must prove something. So far he's been a real handful for defences and has scored 2 goals in 3 games - off the bench - so maybe he doesn't need to start games!
  • Options
    Couldn't make tonight but was out with a Wednesday fan thru and thru. They love him (especially after scoring a winner against the Blades).

He swears he is here just to get fit and will then be back, rates him very highly when fit. Let's hope he is wrong, looks a good asset.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]

'07/'08 - 16 starts
    '08/'09 - 2 starts
    '09/'10 - 0 starts

Thats pretty poor, wonder how many games he's actually came off the bench though. I always thought he was a good player for them. I know he had a horrible leg break a while ago, an injury that was not down to lack of fitness as that can happen to any player. He's recovered from that very well, which must prove something. So far he's been a real handful for defences and has scored 2 goals in 3 games - off the bench - so maybe he doesn't need to start games!

9 times from the bench last season and 8 this.

He's also had hamstring and knee problems.
  • Options
    YES FECKING YES
  • Options
    If we could, then yes, goalscorers is all you need at this level, and when he comes on the team generally do look like they've got more goals in them. Would prefer Sam to him every day, but both would be exceptional. ;-)
  • Options
    Guy in front of us last night was asking Parky to "release the AKPO" Lol
  • Options
    For me Akpo is our best striker-one of the best in the leaague
  • Options
    REally like the look of both Akpo and Mooney.

What are the realistic chances of signing one or both of them?

Would like a strike four of Burton, that pair and Dickson (to offer something a bit different)

McLeod out please and McKenzie is a joke thanks to his injury-record
  • Options
    Praises for 2 loan signings, am I on the right message board?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: red_murph[/cite]Couldn't make tonight but was out with a Wednesday fan thru and thru. They love him (especially after scoring a winner against the Blades).

He swears he is here just to get fit and will then be back, rates him very highly when fit. Let's hope he is wrong, looks a good asset.

Pretty much what a Sheff Weds fan here says too. He reckons Sodje is their best striker and they want him back when he's fit.
  • Options
    We've got Sam Sodje,
    Hes F#@?+$g Quality!

We've got his brother,
    God Bless his Mother!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: youtube addick[/cite]For me Akpo is our best striker-one of the best in the leaague[/quote]
    Totally agree, surprised there's any debate to be honest.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: youtube addick[/cite]For me Akpo is our best striker-one of the best in the leaague

Our best striker and one of the best in the league...you two have come to that conclusion on two performances....FFS????
  • Options
    Not what I hear in Sheffield...

from the three Wednesdayites I've spoken to the following are all common points:

a) they think Marcus Tudgay is their best striker

b) they like Akpo but think he's too injury prone to push his way back into the fold there

c) they need to release before they sign (hence the Richard Wood deal, a player who two years ago was the heart of their late Premiership push with Tommy Spurr)

d) they'd rather try and do a deal for Varney or A.N.Other than have Akpo back
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: youtube addick[/cite]For me Akpo is our best striker-one of the best in the leaague

Our best striker and one of the best in the league...you two have come to that conclusion on two performances....FFS????
    No, I've long admired him, first noticing him when he went to Wednesday the season that we went down. Seemed to have everything I'd look for in a striker (other than a fondness for the treatmenet table). There's a world outside of Charlton (FFS).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

No, I've long admired him, first noticing him when he went to Wednesday the season that we went down. Seemed to have everything I'd look for in a striker (other than a fondness for the treatmenet table). There's a world outside of Charlton (FFS).

Agree with McLovin. Played against Akpo when he was at Erith & Belvedere and he was phenomenal. Always looked out for his performances when he signed for Darlington, Port Vale and eventually S. Wednesday. Really rate him, and i hope he signs for us till the end of the season...........ffs. ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not got the hang of this quoting thingy yet but have to agree with Colthe3rd, although in fairness Omo's get a good old fashioned loan hating from some to balance it all out. ;)

EDIT sorry noticed he is not a loan but in the same vein
  • Options
    Akpo is the new ......KILLER!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Akpo is the new ......KILLER!

Needs more beard.