Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic 4 - 2 Bristol Rovers - Post match thoughts and analysis

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
All the usual post match stuff here please. Whether it be from those at the game or those that want to use Youga's injury as something to moan about!

Bloomin fool why'd he go and get himself injured whilst defending against a cross.

Comments

• Options
    What a relief! Was gutted when they equalised and felt that if we lost this one after being 2-0 up that it could really set us back on our heels again.

We would definitely have lost this game last season so we are heading back in the right direction again although injuries to our first choice full-backs is a bit of a concern.

I am not worried about Basey coming in, he's fine, but the right-back loanee Omozusi does not inspire confidence from what I have read on here.

Nine goals in the last two home games proves the benefit of 4-4-2 at home.
  • Options
    Got to say I am concerned r.e Youga's injury, he is clearly our best defender.

I have to say though I was impressed by how much Basey was being praised. Omysuzi seemed to be settling down towards the end.
  • Options
    Just home.....

Showed some real character to fight our way back into that. We were wobbling for 10mins either side of half-time.

The Youga injury really knocked us out of our stride. Bristol Rovers seemed to immediately mark Omuszi's card and constantly attacked him with high balls and direct runs.

Personally, I am concerned about that position. We need to get one of Youga or Richardson fit very quickly. Omuszi is a poor replacement.

Very impressed with Burton tonight, put in another shift. Mooney was a willing runner and made some very intelligent breaks into space. Is becoming at bit of a fox in the box picking up loose balls.

Lack of pace a centre-half caused us problems tonight. Have seen Kuffour play for Torquay and he has really improved. Thought he ran the line well on his own.

Sam was very effective until Rovers decided to double up on him.

Two very soft pens. Ref made a rod for his own back with the first decision.

As for the two bookings.........

All in all an entertaining evening, strikers scoring and midfield looking lively. Defensively I wasn't overly impressed. We lacked the Sodje mentaility of "I'm heading that come what may" at set-plays.

Good 3 points.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Richy will be back for Brighton which will hopefully alleviate any bad news on the Youga front...

and Sam at the back will get us stable again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Personally, I am concerned about that position. We need to get one of Youga or Richardson fit very quickly. Omuszi is a poor replacement.

There's this great French Under 21 out on loan - Surely he's worth giving a shot now it is getting urgent - If Solly wasn't injured I'd have him over Omuzusi
  • Options
    Just home. Great 3 points which is what matters most and a lot of charecter shown in the end. In all honesty though I thought that for last 15 mins of 1st half and first 20 mins of second half we were second best. On the real plus side we never dropped our heads or crumbled and fought our way back to being better than them come the end. Was that really 2 yellows. Astonishing ! Well done lads.
  • Options
    maybe we should unload mcleod and sign one of the loan strikers?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Merty111[/cite]maybe we should unload mcleod and sign one of the loan strikers?

Agree that I am happy to see McLeod, Dickson and Fleetwood all depart if we can sign Sodje.
  • Options
    Good stuff tonight eventually. Started superbly and then went a bit wrong after Youga went off but we pulled it out of the bag in the end and deserved the win. Basey was fantastic tonight. Bit worried about our right back situation, not impressed at all with Omozusi
    Bit embarrasing really the two yellow cards thing because the lads upstairs controlling the scoreboard were the ones who got it wrong! If anyones going to get sacked in the morning it might be whoever put a yellow card next to Lines' name....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Was that really 2 yellows. Astonishing ! Well done lads.

No score board showed a yellow instead of a goal against Lines name.. No red sadly!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So how was JonJo on the left tonight? Radio rated Mooney, what do you guys think? Soccernet says Baldwin and Campbell got the first half cards so looks like a scoreboard error. Huddersfield lost, and Millwall got battered by 10 men :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Was trying to work out the second yellow card puzzle on the way home and realised the score board had to be incorrect. The caution for Chris Lines in the 82nd minute was his first and not second despite what 99% of the covered end thought...also worth bearing in mind, that referee wouldn't be sacked as technically he's not an FA employee. The only match officials employed by The FA are Premier League referees!
    Still that's cleared up as I was doing my best to try and defend the referee by stating he couldn't possibly have made such a mistake!

Bristol Rovers cautions:

14 mins 47. Pat Baldwin
    31 mins 7. Stuart Campbell
    77 mins 5. Danny Coles
    82 mins 4. Chris Lines
    90 mins 10. Darryl Duffy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]So how was JonJo on the left tonight?

Square peg, round hole. The lack of a natural left mid good enough for this level is a weak point that hopefully will be addressed in Jan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]So how was JonJo on the left tonight? Radio rated Mooney, what do you guys think? Soccernet says Baldwin and Campbell got the first half cards so looks like a scoreboard error. Huddersfield lost, and Millwall got battered by 10 men :-)

Certainly not one of Jonjos better games. I thought he looked a bit lost tonight to be honest. Can never fault his attitude but if I`m honest I think I would have brought on Wagstaff at least 15 minutes earlier. Finding an outlet for JS obvious talent is looking harder every week. No doubt he will come strong again though.
  • Options
    Mooney was good but soon tired in 2nd half, should have come off before as his legs had gone. Akpo looked good when he came on and think he's in line for a start next week, although would be harsh on Mooney.
    Shelvey wasn't his usual self, dont expect him to start next week.
    Worst player was Omisuzi, his positioning was shocking and can't tackle for toffee. Need Richarsdson back.
    Hopefully Youga isnt out for too long, looked quite innocuous a challenge so disappointing to see him in so much pain.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]So how was JonJo on the left tonight? Radio rated Mooney, what do you guys think? Soccernet says Baldwin and Campbell got the first half cards so looks like a scoreboard error. Huddersfield lost, and Millwall got battered by 10 men :-)

Jon Jo was in and out. He started ok but faded out of the game.

Said in the car on the way home that it isn't really happening for him at the moment. Same goes for Racon so fair play to Parky for giving Shelvey a chance out their.

Thought the position might suit Shelvey as he'd get a bit more time on the ball. I am assuming he hasn't played there very often so can't be overly critical.

Would like to have seen him perhaps tuck in a bit more and maybe demand a bit more of the ball.

What I would say is, he looked better there than in the role just behind the striker.

Interesting that he seems to have lost setplays to Basey and Bailey as well.

We all know he is a quality player, so hopefully he will be back firing on all cylinders sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Pleased with that! Thought at 2-2 this could be a disaster, but 4-2 was a great result..
    2 bookings was a weird one, ref had a shocker and would blow his whistle if someone went up for his header, joke really..

burton ran his socks off for 90, again... love him
  • Options
    It was a funny game. For the third game in a row i think the elements played a big part in making it different from a normal game, and again i think we come away the better of it.

We got off to a cracking start, early goal then a penalty i, and i presume many others, didn't see. A welcome gift duly dispatched, but the ref created a rod for his own back. He gave a yellow for a nothing shirt tug, then realised within five minutes he was going to have to do the same for the next one. At this level of giving out cards there could have been 20 given.

The penalty against us was ridiculously soft, you could have found 15 of them in any game.

Midway through the 1st half, we just seemed to lose our way a little. Rovers seemed to get a grip in the midfield, went through a stage where they always had a willing player coming short and getting it to fit, and at the same time they updated there possession, we did the reverse, starting to play longer and longer and giving the ball away cheaply. This turn in the game was compounded a little with Zannuci replacing Youga.

So the ref gifted them a leg back into the game, but the start of the 2nd half they upped their grip on the gap and deserved their equaliser. Pressure had been building leading up to it.

After that it changed however. Whether it was us rallying, or them getting deeper and defensive after their equaliser i don't know. But we played with a bit more purpose and quality and deserved to run out winners in the end.

One of those games where i can't pick out any individual for putting in a notable match winning shift, but you certainly can't argue with the entertainment we're getting at The Valley this season.
  • Options
    If Basey plays well at full-back while Youga is out then we might even see Basey move to left-midfield when Youga comes back at left-back.

Basey has to be worth a shot there just for his dead-balls and crossing ability, I hate seeing right-footed players on the left it makes the team play too narrow.

Alternatively, Sam could go wide-left and allow Shelvey to play wide-right where he might be more comfortable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]
    Jon Jo was in and out. He started ok but faded out of the game.

Said in the car on the way home that it isn't really happening for him at the moment. Same goes for Racon so fair play to Parky for giving Shelvey a chance out their.

Thought the position might suit Shelvey as he'd get a bit more time on the ball. I am assuming he hasn't played there very often so can't be overly critical.

Would like to have seen him perhaps tuck in a bit more and maybe demand a bit more of the ball.

What I would say is, he looked better there than in the role just behind the striker.

Interesting that he seems to have lost setplays to Basey and Bailey as well.

We all know he is a quality player, so hopefully he will be back firing on all cylinders sooner rather than later.

A perfect sum up Clem
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see the beeb are churning out top notch work as usual... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8362902.stm
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Charlton 4 - 2 Bristol Rovers

Charlton held off a Bristol Rovers fight back from two goals down to secure a hard-fought win and keep the pressure up on league leaders Leeds.

David Mooney put Charlton ahead from close in early on and Deon Burton then picked himself up after Bryon Anthony's foul to make it 2-0 with a penalty.

Jeff Hughes replied from the spot after Christian Dailly fouled Jo Kuffour and Chris Lines' header levelled it up.

But Nicky Bailey bundled in for 3-2 and Sam Sodje tapped in late on to seal it.

Idiots them at the Beeb
  • Options
    Radio No 2 (Tony Gale?) said Bailey looked much more comfortbale in the centre, and Semedo sounds like he's first name on the teamsheet, but JonJo isnt obviously a wide player. Tough call for Parky, but one I'm sure he's happy to have. But Gale also said that maybe we are a couple of players short of a squad to go up automatically, and I think its the defence he's mainly talking about.

Still 9 goals against two promotion rivals, you just can't argue with that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]But Gale also said that maybe we are a couple of players short of a squad to go up automatically, and I think its the defence he's mainly talking about.

Richardson, Sodje, Elliot all to come back into that defence though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]But Nicky Bailey bundled in for 3-2 and Sam Sodje tapped in late on to seal it.

Idiots them at the Beeb

Lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]But Gale also said that maybe we are a couple of players short of a squad to go up automatically, and I think its the defence he's mainly talking about.

Although I would play Elliott once he's fit, I don't think you could level any criticism at Ikeme tonight - not that I am suggesting you have - thought he looked accomplished tonight. Handling was good and one good save in the first half.
  • Options
    Agreed, thought Ikeme looked very solid tonight, and generally has a much better presence than Randolph
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like Basey has had a couple of good games, do people who were there agree? If so, that's good news, because it seemed like he wasnt going to make it. So its really just right back, and wide left man, where we are short?
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]

And Youga ......

Out of the 1st choice back 5, we played most of the game with only one 1st choice defender.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Great entertainment and some fine individual performances . Basey probably my MOM, but Sam and Burton ran him close.

Mooney was good - shame he's gone after the next game v Brighton - and Akpo looks like a natural goalscorer.

We lost it for a while after Youga went off. Omuzusi is a disaster, I'm afraid. Every time he's anywhere near the ball your heart is in your mouth - bit like it was with Youga at one time. I don't like targeting one player for criticism but O-No put in probably the worst individual full-back performance I can remember since Greg Halford had an infamous 'mare at the Valley a couple of seasons back.

Shame the board didn't consult Henry Irving before we took him on. Henry said at the time that he planned to slag off O-No at every opportunity and never give him more than five out of ten. An attempt at humour, I'm assuming , but there's nothing funny about O-No. He was barely worth a four tonight. Llera was at sea at times, too.

But Asbo will be back from suspension v Brighton and hopefully Richardson will be fit again. Basey was immense tonight and a back four of Richardson-Dailly-Asbo-Basey is more than good enough. And one hopes Youga's injury is not serious and he won't be out for long.

I thought Jonjo was OK in the first half, but then disappeared somewhat and Wagstaff was a distinct improvement on what Shelvey had offered in the second half. We still clearly have no idea how to fit our most talented footballer into the side and get the best out of him. Shades of Danny Murphy...

That said, it was a cracking win and it's great for the fans to see the goals flying in at home. Now if we can record our first away win since August v Brighton , we can really start to believe …