Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

++++LIFERS RALLYING CALL: PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THIS GOOD CHARLTON CAUSE++++

edited November 2009 in General Charlton
I’m sure many of you are aware that TODAY, the Charlton Upbeats programme Kick Start for Life run by our Community Scheme is entered in a regional competition where funding is ‘won’ according to public votes.

I’m sure there are many like me who have uncertainties about attaching competition to good causes and fund raising, but this particular strand of work it relates to really does make a difference to a group of kids lives, and the possibility is it may not continue without securing the required funding.

Every week, our Community Scheme provides sessions for local kids that suffer from Down’s Syndrome.

There are around 60 young people on the register with the ages ranging from 5-26 yrs. The programme has been greatly received both by both young people and their parents. Feedback from parents is that they get a well earned break where they can spend time with other parents who have children with Downs. It gives them a chance to have downtime but also seeing their children bonding with peers, coaches without the parents input is hugely rewarding for them.

There are also huge benefits to young people with regular exercise, rising self-esteem and confidence, making new friends, belonging to a club etc

So far, the Community Trust has been funding the programme, and is now seeking a grant of £37,880 to continue and extend its work.

It has been paired in the Cultivating Quality for Disabled People category of the People’s Millions TV Show with the Essex-based Papworth Trust hoping to win £31,459 to provide a community garden in urban Basildon that would be accessible to people with limited mobility.

If successful in winning the extra money from the People's Millions the funding will allow expansion of the programme. This will mean including speech therapy sessions bolted onto Football sessions, extra sessions for siblings (often overlooked) to run alongside the Downs programme, other activities to include dance, boxercise, etc.

Further to this the young people will also be involved in planned environmental days where the coaches, young people and parents will all work alongside Bexley, Greenwich and Kent county councils to improve and designated facility in each borough/county

Further background information can be found on the Club’s official site, and the two programmes will be featured on London Tonight at 6pm tonight.

The phonelines are open from 9am – midnight today only and the number to call is:

0871 626 88 47

Please give up 30 seconds of your day, and try and coax some friends and family to help support the one aspect of our club that continuously delivers.

Cheers guys

(calls cost 10p per call from BT landlines, mobiles higher)

Comments

• Options
    Those who can access You Tube might want to see the following clip:

Charlton Upbeats
  • Options
    Done and now will be texting and emailing as many people as possible to remind them to vote.

Apologies if you've already voted or get more than one reminder from me but I'm sure you can all agree it's in a great cause.
  • Options
    PS can anyone going to the Richard Murray Fans Forum meeting tonight ask everyone to vote as well.

Lines open to midnight.

Ditto anyone who posts on other threads or blogs. Would be great to see the whole Charlton community getting behind this.
  • Options
    Brighty on Twitter has just given it the thumbs up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]PS can anyone going to the Richard Murray Fans Forum meeting tonight ask everyone to vote as well.

Lines open to midnight.

Ditto anyone who posts on other threads or blogs. Would be great to see the whole Charlton community getting behind this.

Henry - I will deal with that.
  • Options
    phone on redial at work and constantly voting
  • Options
    My vote(s) are in and friends notified
  • Options
    This video brought a lump to my throat - one of the many reasons I love my club.

Since becoming a father I am a wuss fir this kind of thing - will be sure to vote later
  • Options
    fantastic cause and the yids, gooners, hammers in my office have all supported.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    voted! didnt even read wat for lol
  • Options
    I have voted
    K
  • Options
    Having recently concluded a long battle with the Papworth trust over its very shabby treatment of our brother-in-law who lives in one of their Papworth properties, it's no contest. Voted and passed on, superb project and very proud of Charlton.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited November 2009
    Voted, takes 10 seconds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Voted, takes 10 seconds.

Didn't even take that long!
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    voted and text everyone on my phones contact list to do the same!
    fantastic cause!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Voted, takes 10 seconds.

Didn't even take that long!

I had to walk to the phone in the office, about 7 seconds away.
  • Options
    Voted.

VG
  • Options
    Done, makes you proud to be a Charlton fan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Voted...your vote has been registered.
  • Options
    Done.

That video got me on Tuesday...great cause, hope they win!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]Done, makes you proud to be a Charlton fan.
    Couldn't agree more. Don't live in the London area but still voted.
  • Options
    Voted and have spread the word.
  • Options
    Done. Watched the clip, the club are great when it comes to work in the community. Well done and good luck with the competition.
  • Options
    Ditto.
  • Options
    voted

only allowed 10 votes per phone line ;-)
  • Options
    just done it.
  • Options
    just done my little bit. if you have literally a spare 8 seconds, please vote, tap the number and it's all done.
  • Options
    done :)